Sunderland: Till I Die

I know this isn’t specifically Bills related...but sort of. Those of you with Netflix will enjoy the two season series Sunderland Till I Die, which follows the Sunderland ‘soccer’ club in northeast England through their woes of relegation from the top league. The city is an industrial working class town, just like Buffalo. Their fans could be Bills fans but for the British accents. I highly recommend it. Extremely well filmed! It gives a starving sports fan a great inside look at EVERYTHING that goes into running a major sports franchise. Give it a try.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I know this isn’t specifically Bills related...but sort of. Those of you with Netflix will enjoy the two season series Sunderland Till I Die, which follows the Sunderland ‘soccer’ club in northeast England through their woes of relegation from the top league. The city is an industrial working class town, just like Buffalo. Their fans could be Bills fans but for the British accents. I highly recommend it. Extremely well filmed! It gives a starving sports fan a great inside look at EVERYTHING that goes into running a major sports franchise. Give it a try.

Not "sort of", not at all.  That's the absolutely farthest stretch I've ever seen to justify posting something to the Bills forum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

Not "sort of", not at all.  That's the absolutely farthest stretch I've ever seen to justify posting something to the Bills forum.

Have you watched it? It’s not as far fetched as it seems. Those people are Bills fans! 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

You see no analogy there at all? 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

You see no analogy there at all? 

If you watch it you’ll see working class people who literally live and die for their team. The team gives this once thriving industrial city it’s entire identity. They lose game after game in heartbreaking fashion and their dedicated fans keep coming back every week. It’s extremely relevant! (Just look at the number of threads on here about replaying epic Bills losses from decades ago.) The Sunderland series will make you realize that we, Bills fanatics, are not alone. 

1 minute ago, seven&nine said:

As a diehard Newcastle follower, I hate this analogy. Sunderland is absolute shite.

The fact that there is a documentary following their multiple relegations makes for some great viewing, though. 

Ha!

Having made the pilgrimage to Wembley to watch the Bills and Jaguars, it really brought back memories for me.

Sorry 2 things early in the article that made me stop reading it (and now i will employ what i learned here to be necessary to be a true Bills fan on this site) 

1 It's nothing about the Bills  !

2 It's a article about Soccer which i don't care about !! 

There how'd i do ? i'm trying to be as obnoxious as some of the other Bills fans here . Oh wait let me go back & check your punctuation & spelling that's a must  ...

2 minutes ago, T master said:

Sorry 2 things early in the article that made me stop reading it (and now i will employ what i learned here to be necessary to be a true Bills fan on this site) 

There how'd i do ? i'm trying to be as obnoxious as some of the other Bills fans here . Oh wait let me go back & check your punctuation & spelling that's a must  ...

It’s actually way less about soccer than you’d think. It’s about the City, the organization, and its fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, T master said:

I suppose asking for basic skill with the English language is a pretty hefty ask.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

?

These are my favourite types of posts on this forum. The needless curmudgeonly response typed with zero irony is high comedy.

Guarantee this guy has painted his chest at a Bills game once or twice in his life. 

• Like (+1) 1

I started watching English football in the mid-90s and was hooked.  But I didn't want to be like every other American and pick between Man U or Liverpool, so I looked around for a team that most reminded me of the Bills.  A town struggling for an identity in the post-industrial age, with a fanatical fanbase and a team that possibly did not deserve the devotion of the fans.  The two obvious choices were Newcastle and Sunderland, but Sunderland got the nod as they have a certain chip on their shoulder.  I've been over there and watched games and can say, their fans would be right at home in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Amazon Prime has some really excellent soccer documentaries as well where they follow a team for an entire season...also have quite a few NFL ones called All or Nothing which are pretty awesome too.

9 minutes ago, Enemarty said:

I started watching English football in the mid-90s and was hooked.  But I didn't want to be like every other American and pick between Man U or Liverpool, so I looked around for a team that most reminded me of the Bills.  A town struggling for an identity in the post-industrial age, with a fanatical fanbase and a team that possibly did not deserve the devotion of the fans.  The two obvious choices were Newcastle and Sunderland, but Sunderland got the nod as they have a certain chip on their shoulder.  I've been over there and watched games and can say, their fans would be right at home in Buffalo.  

Thanks...I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by the Get Off My Lawn responses from some of the ‘fans’ on here who apparently want to replay Super Bowl XXV for the one hundredth time. Geez people! 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you watch it you’ll see working class people who literally live and die for their team. The team gives this once thriving industrial city it’s entire identity. They lose game after game in heartbreaking fashion and their dedicated fans keep coming back every week. It’s extremely relevant! (Just look at the number of threads on here about replaying epic Bills losses from decades ago.) The Sunderland series will make you realize that we, Bills fanatics, are not alone. 

Ha!

Having made the pilgrimage to Wembley to watch the Bills and Jaguars, it really brought back memories for me.

Exactly, 

Love Premier League.  Quality higher than MLS which is a boreb.  Only thing I don't like about European football is the guy who falls down when another player brushes his arm and writhes in pain for ten minutes as if he was shot with a .44 in the face.....then miraculously recovers.  

• Like (+1) 1