Rewatching the ravens game tonight

24 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Just give Baltimore credit for being the better team.

They didn't win 14 games for nothing.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned and the next time they play the Ravens, we would expect this team to be better prepared, with a different result.

Sometimes you have to learn a lesson to become great.

I give you my 1994 Devils as a prime example.

This.

You have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. Last year, the Bills were walking while the Ravens were running. And to quote Aerosmith, sometimes you have to lose to know how to win. Games like this, as well as the WC loss should be viewed as learning experiences that the team should be better for because of them. HC is still rather inexperienced in comparison to most in his position, QB very inexperienced still, many starters on both sides of the ball are still very young and inexperienced; this team is pretty much right where they should be right now, and that’s ok with me, so long as those issues that should be “learning experiences” don’t become habits or trends. The arrow is pointing in the right direction right now.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Separation, and separation that is synchronized with the QBs progression are different things. My impression at the time was that they weren’t meshing. Whether that’s on Allen, Daboll, the WRs, or some combination is certainly up for debate. The fact that they traded for Diggs leads me to believe that the staff felt they needed help at WR to overcome these deficiencies. 

I do not buy that argument in general and I don’t see what you’re saying on the All 22 in the first half anyway.  (Haven’t watched the second half All 22 yet.)  Defenses can change up the timing of the receivers, disguise coverages, jump routes, etc.  But if receivers are running good routes and are getting open, the they’re doing their jobs.

The biggest problem with the offense in the first half was Allen missing deep throws to open WRs.  That would’ve produced points and forced the Ravens into a less aggressive scheme.  The other thing was Knox getting blown up which led to Allen getting blindsided and fumbling deep in our own end.  That was on Knox, not Allen BTW.  

12 hours ago, QB Bills said:

The Titans said they used the Bills' defense that game as a blueprint to beat the Ravens in the playoffs. If Allen could have even been average that day, the Bills win easily. 

the blitz pick up or lack of on the killer strip sack....that's not on josh bud. You've been listening to the Bulldog who had to be chastised by Sal...that on the tight end  bulldog.. Oh

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I do not buy that argument in general and I don’t see what you’re saying on the All 22 in the first half anyway.  (Haven’t watched the second half All 22 yet.)  Defenses can change up the timing of the receivers, disguise coverages, jump routes, etc.  But if receivers are running good routes and are getting open, the they’re doing their jobs.

The biggest problem with the offense in the first half was Allen missing deep throws to open WRs.  That would’ve produced points and forced the Ravens into a less aggressive scheme.  The other thing was Knox getting blown up which led to Allen getting blindsided and fumbling deep in our own end.  That was on Knox, not Allen BTW.  

actually it was the 35 mph winds which affected that 17 yd punt which set up a baltimore score in our own end.

here is a link to the weather if you dont remember

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/12/buffalo-bills-baltimore-ravens-will-battle-strong-winds-on-sunday.html

Edited by CardinalScotts

Can’t get myself to watch one game from last year.  Just mash ups of plays.  

this game in particular pissed me off.  One play got us.  Poyer getting beat.  Our D came to play.  Too bad Baltimore’s did too.  Just remember blitz after blitz after blitz.  

5 hours ago, CardinalScotts said:

Yeah, I literally rewatched the game today.  I’m pretty sure both teams played in the same weather.  Both were impacted by it.  It’s just an excuse.  NFL Game Pass is currently free.  I suggest watching the game on All 22 (Coaches Film).  It’s not possible to see some of the things talked about in this thread (like WR separation) with the regular TV broadcast.  It’s worth the watch. 

Ok just rewatched the game 

Couple points

1)The code word for the snap that game was brown every time josh said it the next thing was the snap brown 80 a couple of times

First half was another b word did not remember

2)Yes def can easily pick up on that especially if they are blitzing,  the fakes the Ravens d did not move

3)4 throws by Josh akin at 7' 2" could not have graped

2 bad drops by Cole 

4)  and yes wait for it

R punter sucks

You heard it here first

We lost almost 60 yards in field position 

Edited by scuba guy
Spelling error

On the punter thing, here are the Stats:

Bojorquez  7 punts for 300 yards for a 42.9 yard average with 1 inside the 20

Koch 7 punts for 309 yards for a 44.1 yard average with 2 inside the 20

Both punted in the same crappy conditions and did almost exactly the same quality of job.  The punting game did not determine the outcome of that game. 

I don't criticize Daboll like some of you mouthing at the mouth, but the failed blitz pickups and lack of adjustments were really bad. Sure Josh had bad throws but like any QBs he needs a groove and he wasn't getting much help.

I actually wanted both QBs to gain over 100 yards rushing and make that an entertaining part of the game, with Josh besting him and the Bills winning, of course. Both were contained well. The Ds played well.  

On 5/24/2020 at 2:19 AM, John from Riverside said:

Despite all this......we had a chance to tie it on the final offensive play

I know that everyone considers the ravens to be this elite team (and they are) but we despite all of our problems on offense had a chance to win this

Elite?  No there yet.  

One blown coverage play got them a TD.  ONE play was the deciding factor.   

The Bills had them solid but for 1 stinking play. 

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

On the punter thing, here are the Stats:

Bojorquez  7 punts for 300 yards for a 42.9 yard average with 1 inside the 20

Koch 7 punts for 309 yards for a 44.1 yard average with 2 inside the 20

Both punted in the same crappy conditions and did almost exactly the same quality of job.  The punting game did not determine the outcome of that game. 

Yes stats say that they both were above 42 yards per punt

My point is Corey shanked 3 punts in a row and the landed near the 50 yard line my seasons are under m and t club the crowd all ahed at those punts 

Know yes when the ball hit the ground it did roll forward on all 3 and give him an extra 10 yards per punt

Roberts caught and fare catches all of his punts for no yac.

So would you rather have 44 yards great hang time and fare catch

Or a shank 

19 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

This game is a big point of contention for me simply because, for me, it highlights the inability of the current Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator to adapt and make the proper offensive adjustments on game day.

The Bills had played on Thanksgiving day, Thursday previous and had extra time to rest, prepare for the Ravens. Anyone with a brain could research the Ravens defense in previous game to see that while not having one, two outstanding pass rushers they make up for that by blitzing almost 50% of the defensive snaps each and every game.

Extra time to prepare, knew what to expect!

First series Ravens game,  3rd and 4 deep middle pass incomplete for John Brown, PUNT. 

Second series, 3rd and 12 deep left pass incomplete for Robert Foster, PUNT. 

Third series 2nd and 10, incomplete deep left for Dawson Knox. 3rd and 10, pass incomplete deep left John Brown, PUNT. 

So, In the Bills first three series the answer for all that Ravens blitzing was to have Allen attempt four deep throws when the down and distance were not favorable. Then basically give up on the deep throw for most of the rest of the game. NOW, when the Ravens saw that Allen couldn't hit that deep pass which would have really hurt them with all their blitzing. The Ravens defense stepped up their blitzing from 50-55% of the defensive snaps to 65% or more. This put Allen under tremendous pressure the rest of the game. 

How much pressure you ask? The Ravens defensive players came on a blitz 96 times that game for 6 sacks, 12 QB hits, 15 QB pressures, 3 harries!

For the fourth series in the second quarter the Bills went to the run game. After a 15+ yard penalty on the Ravens for roughing the passer the Bills reeled off seven straight runs from the Bills 42 to the Ravens 14 yard line. Four first downs by running with both Singletary and Allen. Result, FG. 

So, up until this point the Bills drives went, PUNT, PUNT, PUNT, FUMBLE, FG. With a score when the Bills finally decided to commit to run the ball. 

Now, the Bills know that they can run on the Ravens to stop all that Blitzing and yet the next series swap out Singletary for Gore. After a 1st down Allen is sacked on third down, PUNT. The Bills went back to the pass for most of the rest of the game with some on and off success. 

So, in a nutshell, after a few deep passing attempts to thwart the Ravens blitzing the Bills OC literally had no answer to stop that ferocious Baltimore Ravens Blitz! Just keep putting that 2nd year, inexperienced QB under the gun for 39+ drop backs. The Bills offensive line didn't do the job in stopping those blitzes, the receivers didn't do the job in getting open, getting separation.  The Bills OC had no plan "B" or anything to effectively counter the Ravens defensive scheme.

I also feel this was a game the Bills should have won in 2019. 

For 2020 the Bills have the 5th toughest schedule in the league and won't be facing bums at QB or many bad teams like they did in 2019. The offense will need to get it together and start scoring points ...and lots of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It told me what I already knew. The defense will keep them in any game but the offense still has a long way to go.

I think with the addition of Diggs and the continuity of the O line and most importantly, The progression of Allen, that long way to go will be a hop, skip and a jump frm a real Offense.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:51 AM, BigBillsFan said:

Allen looked horrible in that game. The first half he only completed dump offs and was 3 or 11 or something close to that.

It's games like this and NE he needs to improve the most.

True but so was Lamar.  The first half Lamar was like 5 of 10 1TD 1INT almost all dump offs.  Lamar had far better weapons.  Our receivers barely got open and when they did get the ball had some dropsies too.  Allen needed to play better, but he wasn't the entire reason.

Edited by Scott7975

On 5/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, ScottLaw said:

How do you figure that? 

Bills had barely 100 yards of offense through 3 quarters. Baltimore was clearly the better team.

They were?  They were equally as bad and only had one real drive the entire game.  Clearly better?  That's some hyperbole there.