Rewatching the ravens game tonight

We were very much in that game......

Our defense made plays even though the Ravens scored points

You could see the holes int he offense.....do we really want Devin S. and McKenzie attempting to catch down the field passes at critical situations

We needed more size on the field at the pass catcher position

Gore got shallacked in the red zone...at this point he really was done.   I hope Moss can help us here

2 fumbles by Josh in this game (one we got back) cant do that against the good teams

The blitzes that the ravens were throwing at us were being completely ignored by our offensive coordinator

Despite all this......we had a chance to tie it on the final offensive play

I know that everyone considers the ravens to be this elite team (and they are) but we despite all of our problems on offense had a chance to win this

• Like (+1) 10

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You could see the holes int he offense.....do we really want Devin S. and McKenzie attempting to catch down the field passes at critical situations

Gore got shallacked in the red zone...at this point he really was done.   I hope Moss can help us here

2 fumbles by Josh in this game (one we got back) cant do that against the good teams

The blitzes that the ravens were throwing at us were being completely ignored by our offensive coordinator

I know that everyone considers the ravens to be this elite team (and they are) but we despite all of our problems on offense had a chance to win this

The bolded part is what I remember most, our OC basically let them tee off on Josh. How do you become an NFL OC when you are oblivious to the obvious? Where are the screens and quick hitters?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My opinion....more talent on offense helps (Diggs and Moss) but the number one variable that will move this offense forward is Josh Allen's continued improvement.  It's not just give him weapons and the results will come.  He needs to improve also.

• Like (+1) 8

6 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

Allen looked horrible in that game. The first half he only completed dump offs and was 3 or 11 or something close to that.

It's games like this and NE he needs to improve the most.

In light of the unkind avatar next to your screen name, the league has awarded this week's conditional draft pick to the New England Patriots.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

The bolded part is what I remember most, our OC basically let them tee off on Josh. How do you become an NFL OC when you are oblivious to the obvious? Where are the screens and quick hitters?

THIS!!!!

All Day!!!!

For all the talk of the long ball, which is important, having a better blitz pickup strategy is imperative. Not just for JA but the O as a whole.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

Allen looked horrible in that game. The first half he only completed dump offs and was 3 or 11 or something close to that.

It's games like this and NE he needs to improve the most.

bring consistency.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

THIS!!!!

All Day!!!!

For all the talk of the long ball, which is important, having a better blitz pickup strategy is imperative. Not just for JA but the O as a whole.

That, and our WRs created absolutely no separation from their press coverage.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

The second half of the Texans playoff game comes to mind as well...

• Like (+1) 1

The Ravens game is not only a game that we could have won; it's a game that we should have won.  

I need to stop clicking links about these kinds of games.  Dammit, John!!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How do you figure that? 

Bills had barely 100 yards of offense through 3 quarters. Baltimore was clearly the better team.

I think Daboll's play-calling killed any chance at winning the game.  Passing 39 times with a pretty ineffective Allen, whilst only running the ball 23 times in a game where Singletary was (as usual) averaging over 5 YPC, was stupid.

Baltimore was clearly the better coached team.  Just like they were all season.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

^^^ This ^^^ Plus, without receivers getting separation those pressure packages cannot be beaten with deep shots & max protection or quick strike passes. 

I just rewatched the game.  I really disagree with separation being an issue.  A couple plays, sure.  But that’s typical in an NFL game.  There were some real issues with protection - especially against delayed blitzes.  There were too many drops.  And Allen had some issues with some poor decisions and throws as well as not getting the ball out quickly against the blitz at times.

That was a very tough matchup and that’s got to be considered when grading out everyone involved.  Hopefully we can improve our consistency in a lot of areas.  That along with the addition of Diggs would make a huge difference in games like this. 

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I'm shocked, shocked I say, that you found something positive to say about the Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I just rewatched the game.  I really disagree with separation being an issue.  A couple plays, sure.  But that’s typical in an NFL game.  There were some real issues with protection - especially against delayed blitzes.  There were too many drops.  And Allen had some issues with some poor decisions and throws as well as not getting the ball out quickly against the blitz at times.

That was a very tough matchup and that’s got to be considered when grading out everyone involved.  Hopefully we can improve our consistency in a lot of areas.  That along with the addition of Diggs would make a huge difference in games like this. 

Separation, and separation that is synchronized with the QBs progression are different things. My impression at the time was that they weren’t meshing. Whether that’s on Allen, Daboll, the WRs, or some combination is certainly up for debate. The fact that they traded for Diggs leads me to believe that the staff felt they needed help at WR to overcome these deficiencies. 

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Someone posted some context on this in another thread.... Singletary was doing absolutely nothing most of the game outside of one big gain.... his YPC was more like 2 if you take out that one big gain. He wasn't doing much of anything with the opportunities he did get. 

I don't disagree the Bills were outcoached on offense. The breakdowns on the offensive line were super frustrating, as were the drops and Allen's inaccurate throws. Baltimore was the better team hands down. There's a reason they went 14-2 and we went 10-6.

The Bills also got bailed out with some ridiculous penalties on that final drive. 

Baltimore was obviously the better team.  I just think this was a winnable game, even though the Ravens were pretty much in control for the whole game.  We contained the best QB in 2019 ... but we gave up big plays.  Our offense sucked.  Gore shouldn't even have had pads on.  And it STILL ended up a close game.  That's why I say we should have won.

If the Bills had better play-calling, I do think they could have won the game.  But yes ... the better team won.

EDIT:  I also disagree that Singletary "was doing absolutely nothing most of the game."  Just a quick glance at the play by play and I see runs of 9, 14, 8, 5 and 6 in the first half, alone.   Then I see that got a whopping seven carries in the 2nd half - one of which was a 38-yard run to give the Bills 1st and goal.

Edited by Gugny

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

THIS!!!!

All Day!!!!

On the 1st three series, Allen had a guy open deep on each series.

On the 1st drive he overthrew Brown when he had a step on his guy;

On the 2nd drive he overthrew Foster by at least 5 yards when he had 2 steps on his guy;

On the 3rd drive he overthrew Knox by at least 5 yards when he had 3 or more steps on his guy.

In each of those plays, he had a clean pocket.

In each of those plays, there was nothing but green in front of the receiver.

The Ravens were daring him to throw deep, maybe because of the wind, maybe because of his deep throw issues or maybe a combination of both. But they were leaving the deep ball out there.

He hits on those throws and they are up 21-3 in the 1st quarter. By that time, the Raven's have to change their defense. 

Edited by CookieG

Just give Baltimore credit for being the better team.

They didn't win 14 games for nothing.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned and the next time they play the Ravens, we would expect this team to be better prepared, with a different result.

Sometimes you have to learn a lesson to become great.

I give you my 1994 Devils as a prime example.

• Like (+1) 2