Which Bills Starter is most likely to regress in 2020?

4 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I almost don't want to say it, but Devin's rookie year was so good . . . regression to the mean . . .

I think Devin is gonna be even better because the OL will return intact.

My pick is John Brown.....because he isnt going to get the amount of passes thrown his way with a true number 1 on the field.  If Brown can make the most out of his catches he could be our Peerless Price

• Like (+1) 1

1. Beasley - his snaps are going to be reduced with Diggs and Davis and other WRs are getting reps with Allen.

2. Murphy - With Addison taking over Lawson’s snaps and Epenesa / Jefferson taking over Murphy’s snaps - but I thought Murphy improved as the season went on - so there is still a chance the veteran beats out the newbies. Murphy is still our #1 trade candidate.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t get the lack of appreciation for Murphy. I really thought he was playing well last year and improved as the year went along. He became the player they hoped he would be when they signed him. It may have taken longer to recover from his injury than was hoped for but he did it.

• Like (+1) 1

Likely Singletary.  They just drafted a guy with a much tougher running style to use near the goal line as well (where Daboll would not use Singletary).  Plus Moss is a better receiver.

Edited by Mr. WEO

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t like to look for the possible negatives. My wife would divorce me. It’s no fun living like that.  :)

BUT, if I had to guess, Brown will get fewer targets, hence less production. That could mean a very good thing for the Bills if Diggs is having a good year. There’s the positive spin on a player regressing. Someone else shining! 

Maybe for you. I find relentless optimism the least fun thing in the world. People who smile too much really grind my gears. 

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Good topic @BisonMan and some good answers so far too. I’m going to go Brown I think. Was last year a “coming out party” or a result of circumstance? I still think that he will be productive but more in the 700 yards and 5 TD range. 

Yea, this is my answer too. 

8 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

John Brown for sure.

I can see Diggs taking a nice chunk away from his 2019 numbers. But it dosen't mean John Brown is any less of a player then he was in 2019.

I think it depends on what you define “ regression “ as. I think Brown could even be more dangerous with Diggs around. Maybe fewer yards and receptions but more TDs as he becomes the more open option, especially in the Redzone.

35 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

1. Beasley - his snaps are going to be reduced with Diggs and Davis and other WRs are getting reps with Allen.

2. Murphy - With Addison taking over Lawson’s snaps and Epenesa / Jefferson taking over Murphy’s snaps - but I thought Murphy improved as the season went on - so there is still a chance the veteran beats out the newbies. Murphy is still our #1 trade candidate.

See I don’t see Beasley losing any reps. Those other receivers playing will be on the outside. I suppose that they could slide Diggs inside but I don’t see that at the expense of Beasley. It may be with Beasley in a 4 wide set. 

11 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I almost don't want to say it, but Devin's rookie year was so good . . . regression to the mean . . .

This was my thought as well. 

In terms of raw numbers, the obvious choice is John Brown. Coming off a career year and he’s not the #1 option anymore.

But in terms of actual play quality, Singletary was ridiculously good on a still small-ish sample size. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Quinton Spain jumps to mind. 

Brown and Beasley, one of them will likely regress due to Diggs getting targets.

I always think of regressing as losing talent due to age or just getting lazy, I don’t see not being targeted as much due to Diggs getting more targets as regression on Brown or Beasleys part, that to me is a redistribution of resources more than anything, and that is likely to change from game to game, or even within a game. Just a thought... 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

You don’t consider less production regression? 

I think it’s easy to argue a player could improve and see less production. 

the Op didn’t specifically say stats or quality of play. The two items don’t always go hand in hand.

• Like (+1) 1