Which Bills Starter is most likely to regress in 2020?

This team has done a lot this off-season to improve across of the weak areas, both offense and defense. I think the team is much better on paper than they were in 2019. I’m having trouble identifying a spot that’s weaker now than last year.

So, an open question. Is there a starter that’s on the team now that you think is the most likely to regress in 2020? Of course, this is not accounting for injuries that might occur.

My first thought was Trent Murphy but I think his game is pretty stable, if not spectacular, and not likely to regress. So, my pick is Jerry Hughes. He’s getting older and at some point, his speed will fall off. This could be that year for him.

What players are you concerned about having a fall-off in performance from 2020?

Hughes. I wonder if he might be ready to start falling off the cliff. He didn’t get sacks last year, but he was still getting pressure. I wonder if that takes a noticeable step down this year. Nice thing is we have depth, but we don’t really have anyone who does what Hughes does (Speed off the edge).

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Quinton Spain jumps to mind. 

Brown and Beasley, one of them will likely regress due to Diggs getting targets.

I’ll say brown on offense.

not because of statistics or less targets- just  doesn’t have that highly consistent past before last year. He didn’t string together constant months on end yet alone seasons. 

not using it as a knock but if forced to choose and guy for a guy that might go back to their average- he was a bit above that mark last year. 

Dawkins should be motivated but might be a guy that suffers being out of the building. 

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, ganesh said:

One of the two safeties 

This.   I think poyer extension was a bad idea.  He will be benched this year. 

11 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Hughes. I wonder if he might be ready to start falling off the cliff. He didn’t get sacks last year, but he was still getting pressure. I wonder if that takes a noticeable step down this year. Nice thing is we have depth, but we don’t really have anyone who does what Hughes does (Speed off the edge).

I think opposite.  He excels with help

• Haha (+1) 2

Easily Cole Beasley or John Brown. Until proven otherwise I don't see Josh Allen being a top passer attempts and yards wise. I don't see 3 WR's topping 50 receptions. Not sure which one drops off the face of the earth. My guess is John Brown, but possibly both drop. I believe Brown goes from 70+ catches and 1000+ yards all the way down to something like 40-50 catches and 500-600 yards. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Sad 1

I don’t like to look for the possible negatives. My wife would divorce me. It’s no fun living like that.  :)

BUT, if I had to guess, Brown will get fewer targets, hence less production. That could mean a very good thing for the Bills if Diggs is having a good year. There’s the positive spin on a player regressing. Someone else shining! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Easily Cole Beasley or John Brown. Until proven otherwise I don't see Josh Allen being a top passer attempts and yards wise. I don't see 3 WR's topping 50 receptions. Not sure which one drops off the face of the earth. My guess is John Brown, but possibly both drop. I believe Brown goes from 70+ catches and 1000+ yards all the way down to something like 40-50 catches and 500-600 yards. 

I assume they’ll get less targets/yards with Diggs on the team. However, I don’t consider this as them regressing in terms of their play. They may even be playing better and still rack up lower stats. Knox might also contribute to less production from these two, especially Beasley. That’s probably a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BisonMan said:

This team has done a lot this off-season to improve across of the weak areas, both offense and defense. I think the team is much better on paper than they were in 2019. I’m having trouble identifying a spot that’s weaker now than last year.

So, an open question. Is there a starter that’s on the team now that you think is the most likely to regress in 2020? Of course, this is not accounting for injuries that might occur.

My first thought was Trent Murphy but I think his game is pretty stable, if not spectacular, and not likely to regress. So, my pick is Jerry Hughes. He’s getting older and at some point, his speed will fall off. This could be that year for him.

What players are you concerned about having a fall-off in performance from 2020?

Hughes makes sense but with the improved line I could see his sacks rising and I don't foresee Murphy making the team.

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

Hughes is coming off a 3-sack playoff game. He is 32 and still has gas in the tank.

And with the support around him, Hughes could have a very good send off season (as he is a FA after 2020).

• Like (+1) 2

I could see Singletary regressing some if Zack Moss plays to his potential. Not to mention Gore was pretty invisible the 2nd half of last season, so that meant more work for Devin as well.

Patrick DiMarco may not do much (not that he has lately) if he even makes the team.

Regress is such a strong word but as much as I hate to say it, Tre White.  I think he's really going to be challenged this year.  He has made a real name for himself, is a marked man, and we will face some top tier offenses this year.  I think we will see a drop off from him, maybe not major, but "uncharacteristic."