How do you see the right side of the OL?

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought Feliciano was mostly solid last season. His play to me ranged from average to good last season.

The metrics support that. He gave up 4 sacks which for the 950 snaps he played is decent, he took 5 penalties which again is decent, and his run blocking was rated good while his pressure stats were mid level. 

I think another year of chemistry and communication in the scheme will only help him. 

I didn’t say Feliciano was terrible.  His run blocking is a plus while his pass blocking needs improvement. I just don’t think he and Ford on the right side is going to be our right side very long unless they both improve.

hopefully another year together will allow that to happen

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

That's what I'm thinking.  He'll be 2 years removed from his knee injury at the start of this coming season.

Yeah he should have stayed at RT last year. But because every interior OL was hurt and he knew the position he got moved there....

2 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Yeah he should have stayed at RT last year. But because every interior OL was hurt and he knew the position he got moved there....

That's what I'm hoping.  Seemed like they had him playing everywhere but RT (and C), and mostly on the left.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Did it happen all that often?

I thought Long played G a lot of time when Morse was absent and Feliciano to C..

I have said this a few times but I thought Feliciano was good at C and I could see him being a cheaper alternative there from 2021 if he is re-signed and could allow them to trade Morse..

Nobody will trade for Morse 's contract.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, Niagara Dude said:

I think Williams will start & play the RT and Ford moves inside to RG and Feliciano starts at LG

Bills didnt give Spain a 15 million dollar contract to sit on the bench. I'm not convinced that Nesecke, at 35,coming off an injury,makes the team. Whatever alignment works,which could  include a new addition ...Warford,for example

On 5/23/2020 at 5:42 PM, Ralonzo said:

Am I crazy for thinking C-G-T of Feliciano-Ford-Nsekhe was a good combo on those occasions when it was necessary?

It was. Morse is an average center that Beane grossly overpaid for just like he did Star, Murphy, Ivory.  

That said, it will be Morse, Feliciano, and Ford.  They will cut Long knowing they can kick Ford inside if needed.  Williams and Nsekhe are the backup swing tackles.  

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.   I usually start with the ball, find the center, and look to the right.  

I'd like to give a serious answer but frankly, I don't watch the offensive line and I certainly don't study film.   I also don't understand the nuances of the team game that is involved in offensive line play.   So I have no opinion about, for example, whether Ford should be a tackle or a guard.   My point of view is that McDermott, Daboll and the online coaches will figure out the best position for each player and the best combinations, and that's who will play.   We will see how they do.   

Unless we have someone here who's been an offensive line coach in the pros or D-1 for 15 years, I don't anyone else knows, also.   That doesn't mean you can't have opinions, and it doesn't mean it isn't fun for some to talk about it, but I don't have anything to add and don't even know how to tell which opinions people express here are worth listening to.   For me, it's pretty much a black box.  

Refreshing response, especially for a Billy Shaw man.  

I watch the OL when at the games, but only sometimes because you pretty much have to follow the ball.  On TV you get what they give you.   

Study film?  None of us have access to the film that the teams get.  Fans who “study film” are actually re-watching the game, so again, you get what they give you.  

On this forum there are TDB favorites, Feliciano seems to be one.  His tough persona resonates with fans.  To me he is a good G/C backup that can start and give you good reps. 

To me Spain seems to be underrated.   There was criticism about his run blocking on this forum.   He did not give up a sack all year in pass blocking.  The coaches must like him as he was re-signed for 2 more years.  

Ford looked like a rookie.  I recall Joe Develin and Kenny Jones having a few “learning” years too.  Same with Jim Ritcher and many others. 

It takes time to learn the offense and for line to jell.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, Georgie said:

Bills didnt give Spain a 15 million dollar contract to sit on the bench. I'm not convinced that Nesecke, at 35,coming off an injury,makes the team. Whatever alignment works,which could  include a new addition ...Warford,for example

I could agree with that,  i still think right side will be different and Ford moves inside and Williams plays right tackle

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I could agree with that,  i still think right side will be different and Ford moves inside and Williams plays right tackle

I'd rather have Ford play at a position where he'd most likely dominate than try and force him into another where he still has a long way to go.

On 5/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, CEN-CAL17 said:

With Daryl Williams being an All Pro RT in 2017..... if he can play anywhere near that, he’s gotta be our guy.

All Oklahoma right side. Ford RG, Williams RT.

Count me in for this as a best case scenario too, it will mean Williams and Ford are performing well enough to supplant the others. The only issue might be the RT spot could be injury prone, but if needed Ford could go out there for some more learnin'.

5 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Count me in for this as a best case scenario too, it will mean Williams and Ford are performing well enough to supplant the others. The only issue might be the RT spot could be injury prone, but if needed Ford could go out there for some more learnin'.

Bates is gonna be a guy to watch as well as Adams. 2 years ago Adams was projected a late round 1 guy.... I expect them to be given a lot of opportunities to make plays. If that happens I expect Nsekhe to be cut. A move to go younger, and save $3M. If Nsekhe gets hurt, that’s a wrap. 

19 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Bates is gonna be a guy to watch as well as Adams. 2 years ago Adams was projected a late round 1 guy.... I expect them to be given a lot of opportunities to make plays. If that happens I expect Nsekhe to be cut. A move to go younger, and save $3M. If Nsekhe gets hurt, that’s a wrap. 

I'm out on Adams. My money is on him acting more like Sammy Watkins in Buffalo than a professional football player. He has physical talent though. I don't see Nsekhe gone unless they can find someone else to back up Dawkins. I'd be surprised if Bates becomes that guy this year.

Wanted to add I don't think the opportunities will be as plentiful for non-53 oline (and others) this offseason. On top of the virus cutting some of the teaching time short, if our coaches are serious about making a playoff run I think they will work the top seven guys in camp and just make the best of the rest.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

2 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I think Bates takes over at C maybe next year, maybe 2022. 

40 minutes ago, papazoid said:

dawkins - LT

Feliciano  LG

morse C

ford RG

williams RT

I don’t think they gave Spain a new 3-year deal just to bench him.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think Bates takes over at C maybe next year, maybe 2022. 

I don’t think Bates makes the 2020 roster

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t think Bates makes the 2020 roster

I see them keeping 9 OL like last year and the group consisting of basically the same guys: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Nsekhe, Long and Bates, with Daryl Williams replacing Boettger.  Boettger got only 5% of the snaps despite having been with the team for over a year while Bates, who got slightly more, joined the team two weeks into training camp.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Backwards when watching the replays when sitting on the wrong side of stadium

Drove me nuts at a stadium sitting on the side opposite the camera angle, watching all the replays in the opposite direction.

Give me the good old days with no replay screens to screw you up!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I see them keeping 9 OL like last year and the group consisting of basically the same guys: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Nsekhe, Long and Bates, with Daryl Williams replacing Boettger.  Boettger got only 5% of the snaps despite having been with the team for over a year while Bates, who got slightly more, joined the team two weeks into training camp.

Agree.....I really dont see them letting Bates go....he has very good multi position flexibility

• Like (+1) 1