How do you see the right side of the OL?

I think Cody Ford could be an All Pro guard but given the lack of depth at RT, he may find himself starting at tackle. I don’t think he has the length nor the quickness to be a good RT. They’ll probably experiment with different combinations at RG and RT mainly Ford at RG and Williams/Nsekhe at RT. It’s his job to lose but eventually I think he loses the battle and ends up at RG and Feliciano goes to the bench. Spencer Long is signed through 2021 and Feliciano is a free agent so those two will be fighting for a spot on next year’s roster. I’m thinking Buffalo is hoping that Daryl Williams has a renaissance and returns back to form so Ford can go inside to guard where he belongs. 

In my mind, it’ll be:

Dawkins/Spain/Morse/Ford/Williams

RT would still be a potential need going into 2021, but I think Williams and Nsekhe should easily be able to match Ford’s production at RT. Williams may return to form, he may not, regardless Ford is an average RT and will be easily replaced. If he goes into RG though, we may have a Pro Bowler on our hands. I doubt Ford will be our starting RT, I think that’d be a mistake although I trust our coaching staff’s opinion over mine, I’m just thinking out loud. Anyways...

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think we ever saw that combo tbh.  Could be wrong

Nsekhe is a backup.  While he may be our best RT, he isn’t holding up playing RT full time.  He’s our backup swing.  Ford our RT.  Feliciano our RG.  Morse our center.  Daryl will compete with long for backup guard.

let’s just hope Feliciano and Ford keep improving.  Beane is all in with them for 2020

This^^^^^

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think we ever saw that combo tbh.  Could be wrong

Nsekhe is a backup.  While he may be our best RT, he isn’t holding up playing RT full time.  He’s our backup swing.  Ford our RT.  Feliciano our RG.  Morse our center.  Daryl will compete with long for backup guard.

let’s just hope Feliciano and Ford keep improving.  Beane is all in with them for 2020

Nsekhe allowed zero sacks in 358 snaps in 2019. He easily outplayed Ford and was taking over the lion’s share of the snaps when he got hurt against Miami.

I believe Ford will be the starter at RT, but if it goes on performance he needs to get a LOT better to beat out Nsekhe.

Feliciano is highly overrated IMO. He was better than anticipated, but he’s a middling guard who isn’t good in pass protection.

Williams is a total wildcard. He was an all pro RT before his injury, but he’s proven almost nothing at guard, so I don’t see him starting camp ahead of any of Long, Boehm, or even Boettger inside.

I expect we’re looking at Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Mongo-Ford again, but I wouldn’t say I’m thrilled with the right side. 

• Thank you (+1) 5

13 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Even though Feliciano was pretty crappy the second half of the season?

He played all season with a torn rotator cuff, which gets more painful with more use. We'll see if a healthy Feliciano makes a difference...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Nsekhe allowed zero sacks in 358 snaps in 2019. He easily outplayed Ford and was taking over the lion’s share of the snaps when he got hurt against Miami.

I believe Ford will be the starter at RT, but if it goes on performance he needs to get a LOT better to beat out Nsekhe.

Feliciano is highly overrated IMO. He was better than anticipated, but he’s a middling guard who isn’t good in pass protection.

Williams is a total wildcard. He was an all pro RT before his injury, but he’s proven almost nothing at guard, so I don’t see him starting camp ahead of any of Long, Boehm, or even Boettger inside.

I expect we’re looking at Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Mongo-Ford again, but I wouldn’t say I’m thrilled with the right side. 

That’s what I said isn’t it? ? 

nsekhe is our best RT.  He’s more valuable to this team as a swing tackle because the likelihood of his health holding up playing starters minutes is pretty much nil.  Let’s just hope Feliciano and Ford improve.  

I’ve said all off season that my number 1 priority would be to upgrade our OL, more specifically, the right side of our line.  

7 hours ago, HOUSE said:

It takes more then 17  games to fine tune an offensive line

Feliciano at RG with Cody Ford at RT

Ford's play improved significantly after Ty got hurt and Feliciano's play ranged from average to good all season. I think the intent is to have all 5 starters come back and form a sense of continuity.

I think McBeane's philosophy is to emulate the late 2000's early 2010's Giants. By having a line with some elite talent but is mainly bolstered by not having any weak links and an extreme sense of continuity.

I think if Ford improved the Bill's will have an oline with no below average starters who have played together for a full season. 

Ford desperately needs to be moved inside and Feliciano could very easily be replaced with someone better. Unfortunately, we have no real talent at RT. Nsekhe is a career backup for a reason. Williams is no longer any good and should be our backup at G unless Ford moves inside, in which case Feliciano becomes the backup at G/C and Williams fails to make the roster. Despite all the cap space, we ignored this huge liability and the left side of the OL is just average. Allen handles pressure poorly, so the OL will probably be the reason our offense will fail to live up to the lofty expectations of some.

Edited by GreggTX

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

With with my eyeballs and sometimes binoculars

Right.   I usually start with the ball, find the center, and look to the right.  

I'd like to give a serious answer but frankly, I don't watch the offensive line and I certainly don't study film.   I also don't understand the nuances of the team game that is involved in offensive line play.   So I have no opinion about, for example, whether Ford should be a tackle or a guard.   My point of view is that McDermott, Daboll and the online coaches will figure out the best position for each player and the best combinations, and that's who will play.   We will see how they do.   

Unless we have someone here who's been an offensive line coach in the pros or D-1 for 15 years, I don't anyone else knows, also.   That doesn't mean you can't have opinions, and it doesn't mean it isn't fun for some to talk about it, but I don't have anything to add and don't even know how to tell which opinions people express here are worth listening to.   For me, it's pretty much a black box.  

Edited by Shaw66

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s what I said isn’t it? ? 

nsekhe is our best RT.  He’s more valuable to this team as a swing tackle because the likelihood of his health holding up playing starters minutes is pretty much nil.  Let’s just hope Feliciano and Ford improve.  

I’ve said all off season that my number 1 priority would be to upgrade our OL, more specifically, the right side of our line.  

I thought Feliciano was mostly solid last season. His play to me ranged from average to good last season.

The metrics support that. He gave up 4 sacks which for the 950 snaps he played is decent, he took 5 penalties which again is decent, and his run blocking was rated good while his pressure stats were mid level. 

I think another year of chemistry and communication in the scheme will only help him. 

38 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

With Daryl Williams being an All Pro RT in 2017..... if he can play anywhere near that, he’s gotta be our guy.

All Oklahoma right side. Ford RG, Williams RT.

That's what I'm thinking.  He'll be 2 years removed from his knee injury at the start of this coming season.

50 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.   I usually start with the ball, find the center, and look to the right.  

I'd like to give a serious answer but frankly, I don't watch the offensive line and I certainly don't study film.   I also don't understand the nuances of the team game that is involved in offensive line play.   So I have no opinion about, for example, whether Ford should be a tackle or a guard.   My point of view is that McDermott, Daboll and the online coaches will figure out the best position for each player and the best combinations, and that's who will play.   We will see how they do.   

Unless we have someone here who's been an offensive line coach in the pros or D-1 for 15 years, I don't anyone else knows, also.   That doesn't mean you can't have opinions, and it doesn't mean it isn't fun for some to talk about it, but I don't have anything to add and don't even know how to tell which opinions people express here are worth listening to.   For me, it's pretty much a black box.  

Yea I could've been more serious but I was just goofin

I was a regional scout for over a decade and have scouted plenty of lineman but I don't watch much line during the game

I'd rather go back and watch a few days later

16 hours ago, Dopey said:

Barring injury, I think the line will come back with everyone in the same spots as last year. Beane didn't move up to draft Ford to be our RT, only to move him after 1 season. I saw enough good things out of him to keep him there. To me, there was a give and take when it came to rotating Ford with Nsekhe. As a rookie, Ford was able to get his feet wet while rotating and that's a good thing, but there may have been times where it messed with his rhythm. In for a few plays, get your rhythm, come out and have to try and regain it. I hope this is over with and Ford gets the job full time. 

So do I.  When it comes to Ford I'm sure that he was given all of his tape along with a critique of where his improvements are needed.

He probably was also given training to improve his technique to work on in the off season.

Ford will come to camp as the RT and they will go from there.  IF he hasn't improved and struggles then a change will be considered.