Anyone ever ship something by freight?

Wifey bought a $3500 piece of exercise equipment on eBay for $400!

Problem is, it is labeled as "local pickup only" (1500 miles away).

Looking online, I found a guy to come pack it at that location for $150. Now, I have to get it shipped down to Texas.

There are many websites out there that offer the "Less Than Truckload" (LTL) shipping option. Anyone tried them? Any successes/failures/recommendations?

5 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Looking online, I found a guy to come pack it at that location for $150. Now, I have to get it shipped down to Texas.

There are many websites out there that offer the "Less Than Truckload" (LTL) shipping option. Anyone tried them? Any successes/failures/recommendations?

Any third party is just going to cost you more.

Call an LTL directly, most of them will deliver right to your house when the time comes. Essentially the third party would be booking the space on the truck which you can easily do yourself. Just get the length, width and height of the pallet from the supplier. 

Freight is shipped/charged by weight & size.  They weigh it and then measure it and whichever rate is the highest is what you pay. 

Is this assembled, or in pieces?  Is it packaged/boxed?  There could be so many variables here that you may be looking at a 1500 mile road trip.  :doh:

If you have any connections with any antique or furniture stores, ask them how to do it.  They are always sending/receiving odd size large pieces and know who/how to contact shippers.

I deal with logistics all day long. If it's on a pallet (most likely), like others have said, get the dims and weight with the equipment on it, and start calling LTL companies. I'd probably start with Team Worldwide, they're pretty good delivering expensive things that I sell. Be SURE to request liftgate service, whoever you use.......some carriers will open the back door of the trailer and say "it's up to you to get it off." That's only good if you have a forklift.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

LTL is the way to go.  A major shipping company can shuttle your load between terminals until they find someone with room heading to Dallas.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I see this becoming a reality show:  Teams of two TBD members (preferably those diametrically opposed on a subject) bid on the job of delivering the equipment in a UHaul 12 footer.

I'll be the one without the mask.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Towed.... It's  a rowboat that is pushing the barges.   It can flip around  and tow the other way too.  It's using  it's  push knees @ bow   It has tow knees  @ the stern.

Have you ever seen a tow truck tow a vehicle from behind?

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The barges  are towing each other too.

No.  But tow  boats came  before  tow  trucks.

You drive an automobile.  Run a boat or train.

tow1
//

verb

1. (of a motor vehicle or boat) pull (another vehicle or boat) along with a rope, chain, or tow bar.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Towed.... It's  a rowboat that is pushing the barges.   It can flip around  and tow the other way too.  It's using  it's  push knees @ bow   It has tow knees  @ the stern.

A “rowboat”??? I don’t see anyone pushing oars in and out of the water. Dude, have you ever even studied maritime terminology or the design of certain vessels?