Owners to vote on Extending EA exclusive License

45 minutes ago, Capco said:

Madden 2005 was a great version of Madden.  The franchise mode was very fleshed out.  The default settings on the sliders didn't lead to very realistic games or statlines, but you could adjust the sliders accordingly to better mimic RL conditions.  It had an option for Coach Mode where you could call the plays and manage the front office if that's what you preferred.  

It does have some major pitfalls (can't trade next year's draft picks, no compensatory picks, certain positions aren't optimized for skill progression as it exists, player stat ranges from AI-generated drafts do not follow any kind of standard distribution, draft scouting does not accurately forecast player stats with any degree of reliability), but overall it's one of the best Madden's ever made.  And it was made at a time when Madden was facing competition.  Go figure.  

If you want a true football "simulation" the best game out there is probably Front Office Football.  

Is this when they still had the mini camp drills?  Those were AWESOME

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Clockwork said:

Is this when they still had the mini camp drills?  Those were AWESOME

Yep!  In Franchise mode, if you got Gold on All-Madden level, you could add 7 points to that player's attributes (lineman could improve strength or blocking, receivers could improve catching, jumping, and acceleration, etc.).  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Capco said:

Yep!  In Franchise mode, if you got Gold on All-Madden level, you could add 7 points to that player's attributes (lineman could improve strength or blocking, receivers could improve catching, jumping, and acceleration, etc.).  

That was great!  I remember building up Poz and McGahee on those drills.  So much fun.  I wanna get this going on an emulator!

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Capco said:

Madden 2005 was a great version of Madden.  The franchise mode was very fleshed out.  The default settings on the sliders didn't lead to very realistic games or statlines, but you could adjust the sliders accordingly to better mimic RL conditions.  It had an option for Coach Mode where you could call the plays and manage the front office if that's what you preferred.  

It does have some major pitfalls (can't trade next year's draft picks, no compensatory picks, certain positions aren't optimized for skill progression as it exists, player stat ranges from AI-generated drafts do not follow any kind of standard distribution, draft scouting does not accurately forecast player stats with any degree of reliability), but overall it's one of the best Madden's ever made.  And it was made at a time when Madden was facing competition.  Go figure.  

If you want a true football "simulation" the best game out there is probably Front Office Football.  

Yea, I rocked out Madden 06 for about 5+ years. Kept a journal. Loved it, have not been willing to buy a new Madden since. However, I did break down and get EA Access last week. For $30 for a year, even if I hate Madden, I can still play NHL and FIFA so I think I will be able to squeeze the $2.50 a month out of it. I think I will enjoy Madden for awhile if nothing else because of playing in HD on a huge tv will be fun, and having the current players will be cool. However, Im sure I'll be sad with Franchise mode ?

I play MLB the Show as well, so I refuse to dive into another digital card collecting game. I grind enough in that (I dont pay extra $) so Madden will be fun (hopefully).

Just check out sloppymadden on Instagram 

the game is broken and hasn’t been good for years. They use an engine for the game that isn’t designed for sports. 

Hopefully with the new gen systems they change this if not it will not improve 

8 hours ago, Mango said:

A bunch of clamoring for 2k to have a swing at it. Ignoring the fact the NBA 2k games have been trash for years now. 

2K is pretty buggy itself, but they put wayyyy more effort into upgrading the game from year to year than EA does with any of their sports games. 2K is pretty much the only company that pushes the envelop with sports games every year but they push it to the point of breaking unfortunately.

Still, NBA 2K remains my most played game every year by far and their football games are still ahead of Madden in many areas. 

On 5/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, NewEra said:

2k > EA.  Not even close. 

Madden was a lot better when they had competition. I remember Madden 05 was a very good game going up against 2k5. Sadly once the competition ran dry EA got lazy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I miss NFL head coach 09 more than any other EA football game.  Loved that game.  Design your own plays, draft storylines announced by sheffty. Calling the plays and watching your players screw up or score.  

Now that was a as a football game.

• Like (+1) 1

They'll renew it once again, as EA will just throw whatever money they can to keep it exclusive. 

Plus 2k and other companies have stated that even if the license was available to multiple parties again, it would take years to develop an engine to rival Madden now. Just building an engine that can simulate something as complex as football to a realistic degree, coupled with all the new tech & features they'd need to implement to get realistic players, physics, stadiums, etc. going again in the HD/4k era would be a huge task.

They can certainly do it, but it will require a huge investment of time & money. Unless 2k has already been building a prototype behind the scenes that they could show off to the NFL owners that'll persuade them to rethink the deal, it's unlikely they will drop their cushy relationship with EA.

10 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Yea, I rocked out Madden 06 for about 5+ years. Kept a journal. Loved it, have not been willing to buy a new Madden since. However, I did break down and get EA Access last week. For $30 for a year, even if I hate Madden, I can still play NHL and FIFA so I think I will be able to squeeze the $2.50 a month out of it. I think I will enjoy Madden for awhile if nothing else because of playing in HD on a huge tv will be fun, and having the current players will be cool. However, Im sure I'll be sad with Franchise mode ?

I play MLB the Show as well, so I refuse to dive into another digital card collecting game. I grind enough in that (I dont pay extra $) so Madden will be fun (hopefully).

You'll probably enjoy Franchise mode after such a long layoff. There's quite a lot going for it if you haven't played for over a decade. But for the rest of us, it leaves a lot to be desired for sure.

Edited by BigDingus

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Madden was a lot better when they had competition. I remember Madden 05 was a very good game going up against 2k5. Sadly once the competition ran dry EA got lazy. 

There was no reason to play madden 05.  2k5 was amazing  

23 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't understand why that guy was taking so long to pass...he has Aaron Rodgers and wide open receivers. Should've been a shootout.

Because he plays Madden and doesn't understand real football.   He had one on one coverage on the outside with deep safeties, and a defensive end who was coming unblocked off the edge like a bat out of hell every down.  Should have ran quick outs to the wide receiver, or streaked the wide-out and cleared out the sideline for quick passes to the running back.

As far as the NFL selling exclusive rights to EA, the owners can and should literally do whatever they want.   The video game companies are suppliers, and it's good business to pick a supplier who will do the work at the lowest price.   Because honestly, its a video game.  

19 hours ago, Capco said:

I just looked it up.  It seems the guy has gone over to Out of the Park Developments which is GREAT news.  

OOTP makes an amazing product.  Their baseball game is the best deep-dive franchise baseball product I have seen or heard of.  Its based on simulations (you can manage games too), but that is all I want.   Their card-collecting game for baseball is also great (and I have always avoided those like the plague).  They have a hockey game that is 6 versions in and it is also strong, but nowhere near developed as far as the baseball game is.

Hopefully the EA exclusivity still allows the NFL to license an OOTP product.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsDiehard said:

I've asked EA and Muthead multiple times why Jim Kelly is nor Thurman Thomas are Legends in Ultimate Team...no response.

Thurman was a few years back.  They have to pay for the likeness. Some players don’t allow it.  That’s why they have the same boring legends every year