Owners to vote on Extending EA exclusive License

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

This guy tears into Madden pretty constantly and he made this video where he edits the height and weight of two linemen to the extremes of big and small and it changes absolutely nothing gameplay wise.

Well, simply adjusting cosmetics in a game isn't going to change anything. Madden doesn't work based off height and weight, you'd have to go in a change a players other ratings like speed and acceleration to see a difference. Spain isn't going to have the same "speed" rating as a lineman who is 50 pounds lighter than him. 

6 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Well, simply adjusting cosmetics in a game isn't going to change anything. Madden doesn't work based off height and weight, you'd have to go in a change a players other ratings like speed and acceleration to see a difference. Spain isn't going to have the same "speed" rating as a lineman who is 50 pounds lighter than him. 

How come “Ice hockey” from the original NES could figure out that big guys were different than little guys but madden apparently can’t? I haven’t played madden in prob 10 years but doesn’t sound like im missing much 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

How come “Ice hockey” from the original NES could figure out that big guys were different than little guys but madden apparently can’t? I haven’t played madden in prob 10 years but doesn’t sound like im missing much 

Because Madden uses a much more complicated abilities rating system to come up with how a player performs than a game on the NES. That was probably the only way for them to really make someone better or worse minus so adjustments like shot speed. Madden has 26 different categories that each have a rating that together make up a QBs overall. Madden has people whose sole job is to come up with player ratings, which are adjusted throughout the year by official rosters. They aren't going to build in an algorithm that automatically changes x rating based on x weight increase or decrease.  That's why you have to download and use official EA rosters for online competitive play. Also, you can go in and change a players ratings individually if you want. So, if  you are going to go and make a player fatter than go one screen over and bring his speed down. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Watkins90 said:

Because Madden uses a much more complicated abilities rating system to come up with how a player performs than a game on the NES. That was probably the only way for them to really make someone better or worse minus so adjustments like shot speed. Madden has 26 different categories that each have a rating that together make up a QBs overall. Madden has people whose sole job is to come up with player ratings, which are adjusted throughout the year by official rosters. They aren't going to build in an algorithm that automatically changes x rating based on x weight increase or decrease.  That's why you have to download and use official EA rosters for online competitive play. Also, you can go in and change a players ratings individually if you want. So, if  you are going to go and make a player fatter than go one screen over and bring his speed down. 

and yet they can’t figure out that there should be some kind of check in place if you throw an O lineman in the slot? Seems sloppy to me.

1 minute ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

and yet they can’t figure out that there should be some kind of check in place if you throw an O lineman in the slot? Seems sloppy to me.

What do you mean? Like if I took Dion Dawkins and made him a slot receiver without adjusting any of his stats?

I just did this in Madden. Dawkins is a 77 overall in my online franchise as a LT. If I change him to WR so I can play him in the slot his rating drops to an overall of 12. So, you can't just take players and move them where ever and not think their rating is going to suffer if you play them out of position. Now, I can go in and change all his ratings so that he could be an amazing receiver without changing his body make-up but I have to do that automatically. Also, if you're in game you can't just move a left tackle to WR, it doesn't give you that option, its something that has to be edited through a menu out of game and you have to officially change his position. Now, that doesn't mean that you can't change where he plays on the offensive line on the fly, as all those are interchangeable. I can move Dawkins to wherever I want on the line without having to edit his official position. 

• Like (+1) 1

If EA gets the exclusivity again, I'll never buy another Madden again... this latest game was corny to the extreme and the same old same old. They do the same things year after year in a shiny new box... it's not fun anymore.

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

You're not... it's getting worse and worse. I thought finally once 2K would come back, but I guess not. This exclusivity BS is ridiculous...

1 hour ago, Watkins90 said:

What do you mean? Like if I took Dion Dawkins and made him a slot receiver without adjusting any of his stats?

I just did this in Madden. Dawkins is a 77 overall in my online franchise as a LT. If I change him to WR so I can play him in the slot his rating drops to an overall of 12. So, you can't just take players and move them where ever and not think their rating is going to suffer if you play them out of position. Now, I can go in and change all his ratings so that he could be an amazing receiver without changing his body make-up but I have to do that automatically. Also, if you're in game you can't just move a left tackle to WR, it doesn't give you that option, its something that has to be edited through a menu out of game and you have to officially change his position. Now, that doesn't mean that you can't change where he plays on the offensive line on the fly, as all those are interchangeable. I can move Dawkins to wherever I want on the line without having to edit his official position. 

The guy that won the Madden Championship literally did this because all he did was run so he didn't need a receiver that could run and catch but one that could block sure came in handy.

2 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

I mean the last NBA 2k game I played had me changing the height and weight in the create a player mode effect the players other stats. I mean this is Madden 20 the game should be improving from year to year instead it loses features to add back in later like they're new. EA said they had to take out the Probowl because all the different helmets were too difficult despite the fact that you can literally change the type of helmets for each player in the game but don't worry they suddenly figured out the problem they had to add it back in this year.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope they dont get it.  Really, really want a deep franchise and history simulation game like out of the park baseball.  Long overdue.

I dont think ea is terrible (ncaa was amazing), but I would like to see a bit more effort on some franchise realism, and possibly historic stuff.

2k caught up in 05ish... but they dropped off bad.  Their baseball game was awful, awful at the end.  Their basketball game is nothing but eye candy.

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

Yeah, I don’t understand how this isn’t a monopoly.  Madden gets worse every year.  

Being in the top 100 means you run the same 3 plays that take advantage of that AI programming.  It’s trash 

It is a contractual Monopoly granted by a cartel that is neither interested in fairness nor the quality of the product. Can they make more or less money by granting multiple licenses. That's the only question. 2k can make all the football games they want they just can't use the NFLs trademarks e.g. team names nor can they use the players names because the NFLPA has not signed off either. EA pays a premium for exclusivity and has for a long time. They have zero incentive to make the actual game better. 

If someone wanted to be a smartass I'd love to see a competing game with the teams the NFL has thrown aside or a USFL game. Someone owns the rights to that as well and you could have quite a few HoF players in it if you could get that agreement signed. Retro stuff is all the rage. Have a whole retrofootball game and have the WFL, USFL and XFL. Go for it.

20 hours ago, Warcodered said:

The guy that won the Madden Championship literally did this because all he did was run so he didn't need a receiver that could run and catch but one that could block sure came in handy.

I don't think he was able to play O-Linemen at the WR position. Now, he may have just selected the WR that had the best blocking stats. What he did do was play a punter at QB, which you can do because generally the kickers are your teams emergency QBs. This allowed him to spend more money on other key positions to benefit the run game. 

On 5/23/2020 at 2:57 AM, Warcodered said:

NFL Owners to Vote on New 5-Year Contract with EA Sports for Madden Game

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892985-nfl-owners-to-vote-on-new-5-year-contract-with-ea-sports-for-madden-game

NFL owners will reportedly vote on a five-year extension for the league's partnership with EA Sports and its Madden video game series.

Not sure how much people care about that on here but it's something that's been bugging me for a while. I mean they just had their Championship tournament(the players actually make money playing this thing) and the winner had a punter as his teams main QB and just handed the ball off doing the same run play the entire time.

And they still allow muffed punts to be returned for TDs and everyone always has 3 timeouts when they reach the 2 minute warning. How hard would it be to build in situational realism that would force both the AI and users to be forced to burn timeouts?? I mean make it a setting that could be turned on or off...

3 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

I don't think he was able to play O-Linemen at the WR position. Now, he may have just selected the WR that had the best blocking stats. What he did do was play a punter at QB, which you can do because generally the kickers are your teams emergency QBs. This allowed him to spend more money on other key positions to benefit the run game. 

Nope, he was literally playing OLinemen at WR as well as TE and had a punter at QB because apparently the punter has a faster handoff animation.

EA is a fat and lazy software company, living off their 1990s genius, but a modern, motivated, marketing company.

They will continue selling you the same game for $60 each year because there are enough people buying it.

The NFL is dumb hitching their wagon for another five years, because there are so many gaming avenues you could explore with that license that a lazy EA just doesn't want to.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2020 at 2:57 AM, Warcodered said:

NFL Owners to Vote on New 5-Year Contract with EA Sports for Madden Game

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892985-nfl-owners-to-vote-on-new-5-year-contract-with-ea-sports-for-madden-game

NFL owners will reportedly vote on a five-year extension for the league's partnership with EA Sports and its Madden video game series.

Not sure how much people care about that on here but it's something that's been bugging me for a while. I mean they just had their Championship tournament(the players actually make money playing this thing) and the winner had a punter as his teams main QB and just handed the ball off doing the same run play the entire time.

It sounds like they need to make some adjustments to their game if a punter can win a championship at QB. And to be able to win using the exact same play? They advertise the reality of their game. Yeah right!!!! Hahahaha

18 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Nope, he was literally playing OLinemen at WR as well as TE and had a punter at QB because apparently the punter has a faster handoff animation.

I don't understand why that guy was taking so long to pass...he has Aaron Rodgers and wide open receivers. Should've been a shootout.

It’s not football anymore.  It’s MUT and an EA cash cow.  Who cares about plays, franchise development, the draft, context, etc.

They just update the roster and churn out the hype.  Madden is for normies now.  Not for anyone who wants a good football x and o experience. 

Edited by JinxedBill
  • Like (+1) 2

Madden 2005 was a great version of Madden.  The franchise mode was very fleshed out.  The default settings on the sliders didn't lead to very realistic games or statlines, but you could adjust the sliders accordingly to better mimic RL conditions.  It had an option for Coach Mode where you could call the plays and manage the front office if that's what you preferred.  

It does have some major pitfalls (can't trade next year's draft picks, no compensatory picks, certain positions aren't optimized for skill progression as it exists, player stat ranges from AI-generated drafts do not follow any kind of standard distribution, draft scouting does not accurately forecast player stats with any degree of reliability), but overall it's one of the best Madden's ever made.  And it was made at a time when Madden was facing competition.  Go figure.  

If you want a true football "simulation" the best game out there is probably Front Office Football.