Owners to vote on Extending EA exclusive License

NFL Owners to Vote on New 5-Year Contract with EA Sports for Madden Game

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892985-nfl-owners-to-vote-on-new-5-year-contract-with-ea-sports-for-madden-game

NFL owners will reportedly vote on a five-year extension for the league's partnership with EA Sports and its Madden video game series.

Not sure how much people care about that on here but it's something that's been bugging me for a while. I mean they just had their Championship tournament(the players actually make money playing this thing) and the winner had a punter as his teams main QB and just handed the ball off doing the same run play the entire time.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope they don't extend it. I'd like to see 2K  make a simulation game. 

I was reading about that tournament. Apparently the player did that because the handoffs would have an animation of handing off that would allow for the running back to have the most speed when getting the ball. It was interesting

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I want a game that focuses on better simulation than Madden. The computer does some incredibly dumb stuff in simulation mode. I also want to play as HC -- Call the plays, make substitutions and manage the clock. Let the computer handle all the joystick wiggling.

Example -- Madden focuses on stupid bells and whistles while year after year the computer punting is still broken. I have a long list of things that never get fixed.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, delirious said:

I hope they don't extend it. I'd like to see 2K  make a simulation game. 

I was reading about that tournament. Apparently the player did that because the handoffs would have an animation of handing off that would allow for the running back to have the most speed when getting the ball. It was interesting

2K is getting to make an NFL game though not a simulation one so it won't compete with EA(though I'm not sure Madden qualifies as a simulation anymore) but it's a start though if the owners sign off on this they're stuck out of simulation until 2026.

16 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I want a game that focuses on better simulation than Madden. The computer does some incredibly dumb stuff in simulation mode. I also want to play as HC -- Call the plays, make substitutions and manage the clock. Let the computer handle all the joystick wiggling.

Example -- Madden focuses on stupid bells and whistles while year after year the computer punting is still broken. I have a long list of things that never get fixed.

This guy tears into Madden pretty constantly and he made this video where he edits the height and weight of two linemen to the extremes of big and small and it changes absolutely nothing gameplay wise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Owners are also contemplating changes to Madden that include:

>  Appearances by Roger Goodell onscreen.  Booing will not be mutable.

>  The song 'Three Blind Mice' will be played after an official's ruling on a play.

I fully expect Strat-O-Matic to make a successful bid for all NFL based video games, backed financially by Bill Gates. This will render all but an elite corps of Mensa types capable of comprehending the rules.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is named this league's commissioner, and he is later elevated to emperor.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yeah, I don’t understand how this isn’t a monopoly.  Madden gets worse every year.  

Being in the top 100 means you run the same 3 plays that take advantage of that AI programming.  It’s trash 

• Like (+1) 4

It was all over for Madden once MUT became the primary game mode. It was like opening Pandora Box. Every other game mode takes a back seat to MUT because MUT makes EA BILLIONS. Anytime you can put a OL at WR and a Punter at QB to gain a competitive advantage the game is broke. I respect Joke (player who won title) game  over the years but this is the most fraudulent madden championship ever. It literally takes NO stickwork or XO’s to play this game. I don’t even blame Joke. I blame the greedy executives at EA who could care less about their "simulation" game or the hardcore buyers of the game.

I also blame dumb 20 and 30 years old for spending thousands of dollars on MUT every year. (Yes you read that right) I’m a old head and I remember when game developers released demos to convince people to buy their games and now people pay money to play demos. SMH

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 3

I've never played MUT so I don't know about that side. I only play franchise mode. I do think it's fun and they do update some of the mechanics periodically. I think the two worst things about it are:

1) They randomly take features away. For the longest time you couldn't set your own captains. Recently they brought that back. You can't shift your defensive line independent of the linebackers anymore. They took away the coin toss. There's a million little things like that. You used to be able to create an entire team, now you can't. Taking away features makes no sense to me.

2) Blatantly broken game mechanics never get fixed or take years to get fixed.

Agreed that competition is good. Just stopped playing madden a couple months back. It's some very broken game play, underpaid workers and old servers that were down constantly. 

Started playing mlb the show and its night and day a better game, despite it not being perfect 

In the end, it's all about $$$ and not the quality of the game for the persons who play. Not only do they charge you $60 a pop when the game comes out, they get you on the back end buying packs and upgrades. EA can offer an amount that will keep them in their back pockets I'm sure because they are making a killing with all of the sports franchise games they have. 

I imagine Take2 had to let them know a ball park what they would be willing to pay for a non exclusive deal.

I say, let competition sort out the winner, put a little pressure on EA to actually advance the game or die by way of fans leaving them for the competition. Madden is trash, they haven't made a single advance in the game in 4 years, and I'd argue it has even regressed.  

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Yeah, I don’t understand how this isn’t a monopoly.  Madden gets worse every year.  

Being in the top 100 means you run the same 3 plays that take advantage of that AI programming.  It’s trash 

So, True. They should make it so if a play keeps getting ran you can go "look at the Microsoft Surface" and make adjustments and see the play that is getting run over and over. Its so frustrating getting beat because the AI isnt covering the same play over and over. Not how the actual league works.