Reason the Dolphins fired their OC

https://sports.yahoo.com/dolphins-chad-oshea-fired-patriots-offense-too-complex-young-players-nfl-024041937.html

According to a report from the Miami Herald, O’Shea was let go by the Dolphins after friction with teaching the Dolphins’ young roster a playbook with the complexities typically seen in Foxborough. Multiple players reportedly supported the decision to swap out O’Shea for veteran coordinator Chan Gailey.

From the Herald:

One player described the situation on offense last season as a “[expletive] show,” noting O’Shea tried to teach an offense that was too complex for a young team and that teaching/instruction during film study was a “disaster.”

As one player noted, O’Shea tried to run plays that were used in New England, which was predictable because O’Shea had spent the previous 10 seasons there as wide receivers coach.

Additionally, a player reportedly said O’Shea made the situation worse by trying to install especially complicated elements of the Patriots offense used by Tom Brady and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

So, Chan is back with Fitz now in Miami. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

From what I have read on this forum, not very many coaches from the cheaters coaching tree seem to succeed after leaving the organization wide cheating regime. Always good to hear ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I wonder who else in the AFCE uses a similarly complex and difficult-to-learn offensive playbook from the NE/E-P tree?

Sure do feel sorry for that team, I'll tell ya...

Daboll ?  He is from that same tree too

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/dolphins-chad-oshea-fired-patriots-offense-too-complex-young-players-nfl-024041937.html

According to a report from the Miami Herald, O’Shea was let go by the Dolphins after friction with teaching the Dolphins’ young roster a playbook with the complexities typically seen in Foxborough. Multiple players reportedly supported the decision to swap out O’Shea for veteran coordinator Chan Gailey.

From the Herald:

One player described the situation on offense last season as a “[expletive] show,” noting O’Shea tried to teach an offense that was too complex for a young team and that teaching/instruction during film study was a “disaster.”

As one player noted, O’Shea tried to run plays that were used in New England, which was predictable because O’Shea had spent the previous 10 seasons there as wide receivers coach.

Additionally, a player reportedly said O’Shea made the situation worse by trying to install especially complicated elements of the Patriots offense used by Tom Brady and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

So, Chan is back with Fitz now in Miami. 

43 minutes ago, Happy said:

Doesn't Daboll have the same problem?  I recall John Brown mentioning that this offense is the most complex he has been in.  

That was my thought - we suffer from the same problem here.

always good when an AFCE opponent’s coaching ranks are in disarray. that being said, these “issues” are less about the coaching tree and more about individual personalities. last couple of seasons, Bills fans have been a bit hard on Daboll and before that were harsh on Gailey as well. Ultimately winning cures everything and losing cannot cure anything. O’Shea situation appears to be a combination of losing and inability to connect with the younger crowd.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Truth is Daboll has sucked everywhere he’s gone in the NFL as an OC.... fans have a legitimate gripe to question the hire and the results to this point.

but he has reallly connected well with Josh. That is really all that matters.

edit: for josh - daboll relationship see

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/01/what-buffalo-bills-qb-josh-allen-said-about-brian-daboll-potentially-getting-hc-job.html

“Listen, I love Daboll,” Allen said at the Bills’ locker room clean out. “He’s been one of my most favorite coaches that I’ve ever had in my entire football career. Whether he gets an opportunity to do that? Personally, I would hate to see it, but at the same time, you know, to get an opportunity like that for him it would be awesome. Not just for him, but for his family too. I understand that this is a business and I’d be the first one to tell him to do it if he had that opportunity. The relationship that we have is special. And I deeply care for him and his family and what he’s been able to do for me and how he has taken me under his wing. Time will tell in that aspect too, but again, a guy that I love and that will never change. Personally, I hope he’s back next year and we can keep things rolling.”

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

The simple philosophy works much better on defense than offense. Complexity shouldn’t be a negative on offense. Your a step ahead of the defense so you have the luxury to be more complex 

Just now, Saint Doug said:

I would love to see Chan running our offense, but at this point, I’ll stick with the continuity. 

Screen that, I don’t want dinosaurs in this league. I understand his offense is more modern but he’s still old school in coaching. Hence why his offenses have always flamed out

• Like (+1) 2

Erhardt-Perkins Offense 

The system is designed to simplify things for the quarterback by eliminating the lengthy play-calls used in West Coast and Air Coryell offenses, instead, using one-or-two word names for passing plays that are based on route combinations, or ‘concepts.’ These concepts typically feature two-or-three man route combinations on each side of the formation and these packaged concepts are each given names that are easy for the offense to digest.

The lack of verbiage makes it easier for an offense to use tempo and go no-huddle, as the passer can simply call out the name of a given concept, rather than an entire play. This system also stresses defenses by running a small number of plays out of a variety of formations. Often run the same play from multiple different formations to emphasize mismatches.

Im not sure why everyone thinks our offense is so complex, its really not.  Its actually the opposite.

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1