Flacco to the Jets on a one year deal...

JoeF

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What good is durability if the guy who’s durable absolutely blows? ?

If your backup didn't at lease somewhat blow, he would be a starter somewhere else.  See Nick Foles.  Both Barkley and Flacco suck at this point; Barkley is more durable, but Flacco has demonstrated that he can perform in big situations.  Most likely Barkley will be here this year and that is it; the coaching staff needs him to hold down the fort and help bring Fromm along.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Happy said:

If your backup didn't at lease somewhat blow, he would be a starter somewhere else.  See Nick Foles.  Both Barkley and Flacco suck at this point; Barkley is more durable, but Flacco has demonstrated that he can perform in big situations.  Most likely Barkley will be here this year and that is it; the coaching staff needs him to hold down the fort and help bring Fromm along.

In what world does Flacco suck as bad as Barkley? There is literally no evidence to support that. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I don't understand this sentiment.

Didn't we learn what bringing a QB in his mid-30s who hadn't played meaningful football in a while got us?  Derek Anderson was about one decent hit from saying, "eff this, man."  

And so is Flacco.  He's 35.  He's coming off of a serious injury.  He hasn't played since the middle of last year.  This guy got sacked 26 times in 8 games.

Is Matt Barkley great, or even good?  Nah.  But neither is Flacco and Flacco is an old statue who's one hit away from being done for good.

So is either great solution if a long-term backup is needed?  No.  But I'd take 2020 Barkley over 2020 Flacco any day of the week.

That's because 2020 Barkely is, by a millions miles, better than any other vintage of Matt Barkley so far.....

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

In what world does Flacco suck as bad as Barkley? There is literally no evidence to support that. 

Where did I say that?  Try reading a least a few posts up and you'll see my preference as to Flacco vs Barkley for backup.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If a Flacco is in major decline then what is Barkley?

Not coming off neck surgery a year after leading his team to a 2-6 record.  That's not even the "expected .500" people talk about WRT back up QB.

Again if you want to talk about adding any other QB to replace Barkley, fine.

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not coming off neck surgery a year after leading his team to a 2-6 record.  That's not even the "expected .500" people talk about WRT back up QB.

I'm sorry Flacco even now playing as he did in Denver is better than Barkley.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm sorry Flacco even now playing as he did in Denver is better than Barkley.

We'll agree to disagree.  And the neck injury makes him a non-player for me.

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

We'll agree to disagree.  And the neck injury makes him a non-player for me.

The neck surgery would have to cause another significant deterioration for him to be a worse QB than Barkley. Will it? Possibly. If it doesn't he is still a better bet. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The neck surgery would have to cause another significant deterioration for him to be a worse QB than Barkley. Will it? Possibly. If it doesn't he is still a better bet. 

Not worth finding out.  I'd give Blake Bortles a look.

41 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not worth finding out.  I'd give Blake Bortles a look.

So would I. As you will recall my argument was never really about the Bills. It was about guys who have shown they can play being on the street while guys who have shown they can't are on rosters in backup spots. Once Cam and Blake are signed and more "nice guy" scrubs have been kicked to the curb I will stop complaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's not his job to "be a mentor".... he's there to compete and if Darnold goes down step in and play.

Anyone who'd take Barkley over him is being a homer. 

I never mentioned Barkley or who of the two was a better backup.

All I did was speak to the idea that Flacco is in no way looking to be a mentor. As some have stated it was a good pickup to have a veteran help Darnold.

Seems like the case you are trying to make was off the wrong post, sorry.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I never mentioned Barkley or who of the two was a better backup.

All I did was speak to the idea that Flacco is in no way looking to be a mentor. As some have stated it was a good pickup to have a veteran help Darnold.

Seems like the case you are trying to make was off the wrong post, sorry.

I disagree.  Maybe last year I would agree, but I think he realizes the end is near and that's why he took such a paltry salary.  Again they drafted a QB in the 4th round who, if he shows anything, they'll have to keep on the roster and will likely want to play if the team isn't in the running for the playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I disagree.  Maybe last year I would agree, but I think he realizes the end is near and that's why he took such a paltry salary.  Again they drafted a QB in the 4th round who, if he shows anything, they'll have to keep on the roster and will likely want to play if the team isn't in the running for the playoffs. 

35, best years are far behind him,  twice had QBs taken in the first two rounds while he was on the roster as the "starter," coming off a serious surgery, etc... that speaks more to why Flacco was given the compensation that he was than a sudden shift in his mentality.

“I’ve got so many things to worry about,” Flacco said. “I’m trying to go out there and play good football. I’m trying to go out there and play the best football of my life. As far as a time constraint and all stuff, I’m not worried about developing guys or any of that. ...

“I hope [Lock] does develop. But I don’t look at that as my job. My job is to go win football games for this football team.”

If nothing else it's more paramount than ever to try and find a situation that could offer an opportunity to play. 

19 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

35, best years are far behind him,  twice had QBs taken in the first two rounds while he was on the roster as the "starter," coming off a serious surgery, etc... that speaks more to why Flacco was given the compensation that he was than a sudden shift in his mentality.

“I’ve got so many things to worry about,” Flacco said. “I’m trying to go out there and play good football. I’m trying to go out there and play the best football of my life. As far as a time constraint and all stuff, I’m not worried about developing guys or any of that. ...

“I hope [Lock] does develop. But I don’t look at that as my job. My job is to go win football games for this football team.”

If nothing else it's more paramount than ever to try and find a situation that could offer an opportunity to play. 

Again, last year is last year.  He still probably felt he had something to offer.  Then he went 2-6, got sacked 26 times in that half season, and just had neck surgery that will keep him out until just before the season.  I think for him, getting any money at this point, even if it's just to mentor, is what's in his best interest, given a guy like Newton is still unsigned. 

And again, if I'm the Jets and Darnold goes down for awhile, I'm putting the rookie in.  Flacco's not the future and if Darnold keeps getting injured, he might not be as well, so might as well see what the rookie has to offer.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, last year is last year.  He still probably felt he had something to offer.  Then he went 2-6, got sacked 26 times in that half season, and just had neck surgery that will keep him out until just before the season.  I think for him, getting any money at this point, even if it's just to mentor, is what's in his best interest, given a guy like Newton is still unsigned. 

And again, if I'm the Jets and Darnold goes down for awhile, I'm putting the rookie in.  Flacco's not the future and if Darnold keeps getting injured, he might not be as well, so might as well see what the rookie has to offer.

Thats conjecture based on what you think his mindset SHOULD be. What we can go on is what he most recently stated. Yes, things could have changed, surely, but until he him self says otherwise...

The short history tells us that Flacco will see the field for the Jets in 2020.

Either way, the Jets have one of the least talented rosters in the entire NFL and are a team in the running in the "Tank for Trevor" sweepstakes..................

even if they like Darnold or not.

The Jets, on paper, are about as piss poor as it gets.

Barkley/Flacco comparisons are nothing but a "tempest in a teacup" and both probably won't even be in the league next year.

The Bills have drafted their hope for a future backup this year.  Signing Flacco who can't even practice until late in the offseason 

would of been a stupid move for the Bills.

The Jets can do whatever they want and if Flacco plays against the Bills this year it should be fun.

His game has fallen off a cliff.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Doc said:

We’re still doing win loss records for qbs?  Dear lord.  

there is no human being besides Barkley’s family and Bills fans who are completely biased who think he is better than Flacco.  Our qb has a career 65 qb rating.  That’s beyond awful.  

but for some reason in a billion dollar business, being a nice guy is more important than actual talent.  This team will regret settling at the qb position if Allen gets hurt.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We’re still doing win loss records for qbs?  Dear lord.  

there is no human being besides Barkley’s family and Bills fans who are completely biased who think he is better than Flacco.  Our qb has a career 65 qb rating.  That’s beyond awful.  

but for some reason in a billion dollar business, being a nice guy is more important than actual talent.  This team will regret settling at the qb position if Allen gets hurt.  

i don't think anyone is arguing that Flacco's career was leaps and bounds better than Barkley's career.

But I do think that 2020 Barkley would be the more trustworthy QB over 2020 Flacco.  I'll be surprised if he gets through preseason, actually.  He's damaged goods.

• Like (+1) 1