Flacco to the Jets on a one year deal...

JoeF

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Again people, just ignoring that he's in decline, he's coming-off neck surgery and won't be cleared until the end of August.  He'll miss all of training camp and pre-season.  How effective do you think he'll be if he has to come into a game, assuming he's even cleared and his neck doesn't continue to be an issue?

As for upgrading from Barkley, sure.  Find someone. Flacco's not it. 

You are the voice of reason as usual, Doc. 

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Comparing Derek Anderson to Flacco is a slap in the face to the former Super Bowl MVP. Anderson’s been trash just about his entire NFL career..... he did play for Carolina though...

Flacco’s super bowl heroics are well behind him.  At this point it would be hard to distinguish between him and Anderson.  

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I love it when guys use absolutes when they know better.  It is just they know their argument is weak and they just want everyone to accept their brilliant observation.

However if you are so sure about period maybe guy is wrong term.

I don't even know what this means.  Anyway -- I think most coaches would tell you if their starting QB goes down, the best they are hoping for is that the backup can go .500 while he's in -- and that's if we're talking about a good team.

My opinion is that if you are going to bring in a "legitimate" backup QB who is capable of starting in this league, it better be a situation in which your incumbent starter is either a very established veteran or a top 5 draft pick, because the likelihood said backup is going to be a great "mentor" or sounding board for your starter is pretty slim.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/23/2020 at 9:35 AM, GunnerBill said:

Derek Anderson.

Flacco doesn’t remind me of a guy who likes to help others.

maybe things have changed and he sees the game differently but didn’t he leave Baltimore because he didn’t want to help Lamar?

Now having said that, I wouldn’t mind having a proven vet, albeit a beat up and old one, coming in for emergencies. A guy like Flacco, who has won a SB, isn’t going to get nervous coming in late in the game to try and seal a victory. He might get hit once and be on IR, but hey, you can’t have everything.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

39 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

maybe things have changed and he sees the game differently but didn’t he leave Baltimore because he didn’t want to help Lamar?

Now having said that, I wouldn’t mind have a proven vet, albeit a beat up and old one, coming in for emergencies. A guy like Flacco, who has won a SB, isn’t going to get nervous coming in late in the game to try and seal a victory. He might get hit once and be on IR, but hey, you can’t have everything.

I don't believe the main job of your backup should be to teach your starter. I think the NFL consistently gets enamoured with good guys who don't rock the boat. Screw that. Give me the guy with the best chance to win me games if he has to play. 

• Like (+1) 2

These rather-have-Barkley takes are too much.

Also, good teams aren't expecting their backup to come in and "go .500".  They expect wins.  See NO, NE, Philly...

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Now having said that, I wouldn’t mind have a proven vet, albeit a beat up and old one, coming in for emergencies. A guy like Flacco, who has won a SB, isn’t going to get nervous coming in late in the game to try and seal a victory. He might get hit once and be on IR, but hey, you can’t have everything.

He realizes he's at the end of his career and probably realizes that with his neck, he shouldn't be playing much, if at all.  Again I think that he took a small salary to agree to be a mentor to Darnold, and if Darnold misses time again, they'll go with the rookie.  It's not like they're close to the playoffs, much less SB, this year so might as well see what the rookie's got.

Flacco is the same guy who said he was not there to mentor Lock. What makes this any different? The guy didn't want to mentor Lamar in Baltimore, didn't want to mentor Lock in Denver, now all of a sudden he's going to mentor Darnold? Maybe Flacco finally understands his role in the league going forward, but i sincerely doubt it.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-joe-flacco-admits-his-role-is-not-to-serve-as-drew-locks-mentor

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's not his job to "be a mentor".... he's there to compete and if Darnold goes down step in and play.

Anyone who'd take Barkley over him is being a homer. 

Yeah, because who wouldn't want a guy in major decline with a bad neck who won't be able to play with the team until the season starts?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's not his job to "be a mentor".... he's there to compete and if Darnold goes down step in and play.

Anyone who'd take Barkley over him is being a homer. 

I don't understand this sentiment.

Didn't we learn what bringing a QB in his mid-30s who hadn't played meaningful football in a while got us?  Derek Anderson was about one decent hit from saying, "eff this, man."  

And so is Flacco.  He's 35.  He's coming off of a serious injury.  He hasn't played since the middle of last year.  This guy got sacked 26 times in 8 games.

Is Matt Barkley great, or even good?  Nah.  But neither is Flacco and Flacco is an old statue who's one hit away from being done for good.

So is either great solution if a long-term backup is needed?  No.  But I'd take 2020 Barkley over 2020 Flacco any day of the week.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't understand this sentiment.

Didn't we learn what bringing a QB in his mid-30s who hadn't played meaningful football in a while got us?  Derek Anderson was about one decent hit from saying, "eff this, man."  

And so is Flacco.  He's 35.  He's coming off of a serious injury.  He hasn't played since the middle of last year.  This guy got sacked 26 times in 8 games.

Is Matt Barkley great, or even good?  Nah.  But neither is Flacco and Flacco is an old statue who's one hit away from being done for good.

So is either great solution if a long-term backup is needed?  No.  But I'd take 2020 Barkley over 2020 Flacco any day of the week.

You and @ScottLaw both have valid points on the backup QB situation.  Given a choice between Flacco and Barkley, I'd have to go with Flacco.  Flacco has proven he can get the job done, though not always consistently; Barkley hasn't proven much of anything.  The Pats game when Josh went out with a concussion is an example of Barkley not being able to finish off a drive and get the Bills a win.  Barkley is indeed a borderline NFL player from the same draft class as EJ Manuel.

As far as Flacco being one hit away from retiring at halftime, that is true.  How about an offensive line that can pass protect and/or blocking schemes that make this possible?  McD/Daboll/Beane?

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If a Flacco is in major decline then what is Barkley? 

Flaccos certainly not what he was from that 2012 playoff performance,  but simply saying he isn’t great or even good when comparing him to Barkley doesn’t tell the whole story.

Flaccos shown his ability in this league....Barkley’s a borderline NFL player.  How many teams do you think would take Barkley over Flacco as their backup QB?

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

You and @ScottLaw both have valid points on the backup QB situation.  Given a choice between Flacco and Barkley, I'd have to go with Flacco.  Flacco has proven he can get the job done, though not always consistently; Barkley hasn't proven much of anything.  The Pats game when Josh went out with a concussion is an example of Barkley not being able to finish off a drive and get the Bills a win.  Barkley is indeed a borderline NFL player from the same draft class as EJ Manuel.

As far as Flacco being one hit away from retiring at halftime, that is true.  How about an offensive line that can pass protect and/or blocking schemes that make this possible?  McD/Daboll/Beane?

This really boils down to 2020 levels of ability AND durability, to me.

I think we can all agree that Barkley is the more durable of the two.

Career-wise, of course Flacco has proven that he's the better QB.  But 2019 Flacco was on the level of one of the worst starters in the league.  He is a shell of his former self.  I think comparing the 2020 versions of each QB, they're probably neck and neck.

That's why I give the nod to Barkley over Flacco.

But I wouldn't mind an upgrade.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This really boils down to 2020 levels of ability AND durability, to me.

I think we can all agree that Barkley is the more durable of the two.

Career-wise, of course Flacco has proven that he's the better QB.  But 2019 Flacco was on the level of one of the worst starters in the league.  He is a shell of his former self.  I think comparing the 2020 versions of each QB, they're probably neck and neck.

That's why I give the nod to Barkley over Flacco.

But I wouldn't mind an upgrade.

I'd pack it in if I were you. There are a subset of people here who consistently A) overvalue the moves/non-moves of everyone OTHER than the Bills while simultaneously b) undervaluing every decision made by the Bills.

Barkley is fine for a backup, short term, until Fromm is ready. Flacco is wasted money. Don't even get me started on Cam Newton.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1