Flacco to the Jets on a one year deal...

JoeF

42 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Interesting. Not sure if you're poo-pooing what the Jets did to help their O-line or not, but this was Beane's plan for us last year. We signed a bunch of JAGS, overpaid for our center and drafted a tackle.

I'll take the guys the Bills signed last year over what the Jets did this past off-season.  But we'll see how it goes.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Did you watch Barkley in the finale?

Barkley is no world beater, but he was playing with backups against starters.

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Until it’s Barkley vs Flacco. In which case Jets may win the division.?

I'd still like the Bills' chances in that game.  But Barkley long-term isn't the answer and neither is Flacco.  I hope Fromm has something.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

People seem to think the Jets are a really bad team. They went 7-9 last year WITH Darnold missing a bunch of games. They aren't good, but they aren't the dumpster fire everyone makes them out to be.

They are better than the Dolphins.

Adam Gase is their head coach.

6 hours ago, JoeF said:

From a talent perspective, no doubt.

You likely disagree, but I've never seen the clipboard holder job as solely based on talent.  You have to assume your starter is going to get 80+% of the snaps (13 or 14 of 16 games even with an injury).  I want a player who knows his main job is to help QB1 with preparation -- be there with him watching film, analyzing, assessing practice and also getting himself mentally ready to play if the unlikely event happens that he does have to play.  He is QB1's sounding board who isn't the QB coach or OC.  I think its needed. 

QB2 is going to get very few practice reps after the start of the regular season.  I like a low maintenance guy who works hard and supports QB1..the strategy ***** the bed if QB1 goes down for a long time, but odds are having a good role fit QB2 is better than having a divided QB room.

Like I said, you likely disagree--but this is my take...

close, but the prime requisite for a backup QB is chroise.

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m not a Barkley guy. I thought Flacco was a nice low risk high reward replacement for Barkley. I did a quick search of this thread and I thought Flacco just underwent neck surgery a couple of weeks  ago. Figured it was a moot point when I saw he was getting neck surgery in May? ?

12 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I’m not a Barkley guy. I thought Flacco was a nice low risk high reward replacement for Barkley. I did a quick search of this thread and I thought Flacco just underwent neck surgery a couple of weeks  ago. Figured it was a moot point when I saw he was getting neck surgery in May? ?

Yeah, neck surgery in early April, not expected to be cleared until late August.  Pass.

Well I take back my criticism of the Jets for being one of the teams willing to ride with a clearly inferior backup to guys on the street. Darnold, Flacco and Morgan is a pretty good QB room. 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd still like the Bills' chances in that game.  But Barkley long-term isn't the answer and neither is Flacco.  I hope Fromm has something.

Flacco is a significant upgrade on Barkley. Even the Flacco we saw in Denver. 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Flacco is a significant upgrade on Barkley. Even the Flacco we saw in Denver. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JoeF said:

From a talent perspective, no doubt.

You likely disagree, but I've never seen the clipboard holder job as solely based on talent.  You have to assume your starter is going to get 80+% of the snaps (13 or 14 of 16 games even with an injury).  I want a player who knows his main job is to help QB1 with preparation -- be there with him watching film, analyzing, assessing practice and also getting himself mentally ready to play if the unlikely event happens that he does have to play.  He is QB1's sounding board who isn't the QB coach or OC.  I think its needed. 

QB2 is going to get very few practice reps after the start of the regular season.  I like a low maintenance guy who works hard and supports QB1..the strategy ***** the bed if QB1 goes down for a long time, but odds are having a good role fit QB2 is better than having a divided QB room.

Like I said, you likely disagree--but this is my take...

I disagree. Very strongly. But you are in line with the NFL groupthink. Get a nice guy who holds the clipboard well and is no risk of being good. It is the most backward of all the NFL's backward conventional thinking. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd take Flacco over Barkley any day of the week.

If you’re relying on your QB2 for any significant period of time you’re screwed, period.  Another poster wrote it in this thread, but having a QB2 who is a great preparation guy and who supports/is a sounding board for your QB1 is more important than pure “talent” at the position.  It’s why the Bills like Barkley, and also why Fromm has a chance to stick.  Flacco has always been “the guy” and is not known for his mentoring skills.

But you keep on with your “McD doesn’t know offense” mantra, dude.

14 hours ago, Manther said:

I'd take Flacco over Barkley too.

I wouldn't. The guy has terrible for a number of years, he's coming off back surgery and has a history of back issues and then goes behind one of the worst O lines in football. It makes little sense. They should have gone for some mobile enough to handle that line, not a statue in the pocket. He is an awful fit

Edited by Mountain Man