NFL is making plans to experiment with a sky judge in 2020

https://wccoradio.radio.com/articles/radiocom/nfl-sky-judge-proposal-would-put-official-in-replay-booth

thank goodness. I’ve written a letter to goodell after each of the last 8 seasons.  Each saying the same exact thing.  You need to fix your officiating.  Bring in an eye in the sky that has access to multiple cameras.  You run a multi billion$ industry.  More camera angles and officials in the sky can assure that referee catastrophes are less likely.  All it took was the XFL to show us that it works. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3

It's a great idea.  and with advances in video analytics, we're 1 step away from being able to go full blast AI for officiating.  8k cameras from multiple angles plus some computing power, you could in realtime build a 3d model of every single play and examine it from every possible angle.  The officiating in the NFL has been so terrible for so long, and with major outcome effecting mistakes in playoff games, the NFL really needs to fix this

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

This is great for the NFL, more commercial time while the officials review video.

Will the real Jakes from State Farm stand up? - Chicago Tribune4

If they can do it the way the XFL did it really didn't take too much time.

Edited by Warcodered
Autocorrect
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

It's a great idea.  and with advances in video analytics, we're 1 step away from being able to go full blast AI for officiating.  8k cameras from multiple angles plus some computing power, you could in realtime build a 3d model of every single play and examine it from every possible angle.  The officiating in the NFL has been so terrible for so long, and with major outcome effecting mistakes in playoff games, the NFL really needs to fix this

AI officiating? Yuck. How many uncalled penalties would it pick up? Games would last 30 hours.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

AI officiating? Yuck. How many uncalled penalties would it pick up? Games would last 30 hours.

With advanced video analytics platforms you can decide exactly what threshold you want for penalties.  things like holding, neutral zone infractions, etc, you could dial it in and end up with the same amount of penalties as today, but rather than some significant fraction of them being BS, each would be a clear cut violation of the rules.  I work in this space and I'm telling you, it's gotten really good, and is getting better every day. There's plenty of existing footage to 'train' the systems with, and we know what a good call is versus a bad call.

edit:  defensive pass interference would be a perfect example of what could be made right with AI and Video Analytics

Edited by dorquemada
thought of somethign else
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

With advanced video analytics platforms you can decide exactly what threshold you want for penalties.  things like holding, neutral zone infractions, etc, you could dial it in and end up with the same amount of penalties as today, but rather than some significant fraction of them being BS, each would be a clear cut violation of the rules.  I work in this space and I'm telling you, it's gotten really good, and is getting better every day. There's plenty of existing footage to 'train' the systems with, and we know what a good call is versus a bad call.

edit:  defensive pass interference would be a perfect example of what could be made right with AI and Video Analytics

They could even program it to use a different standard when NE* or Pittsburgh is playing!

Seriously, I can't see how it could be worse so WTH, bring it on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Or players would adjust and start playing clean.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree with the OP about more camera angles. Every end zone pylon should have a pair of them at right angles. How about movable cameras on the LOS and the first-down marker too?

Twenty HD cameras would be a tiny investment and take a lot of the guesswork out of officiating.

This idea is so great and simple the NFL will certainly mess it up. The eye in the sky only calls definite rules which degree does not matter( face mask, illegal motion are first I think of) and you take that off the plate of officials on ground who can focus on the calls where details matter( holding, late hits, PI). If you eliminate 30% of thee calls a guy must make you can expect the call accuracy to improve.

12 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Sky Judge ? .... Does that mean the NFL has hired GOD to officiate games ?

Belichick is screwed.

Nah - they'll just put a dome on Gillette field.

• Haha (+1) 1

Good, 

And Give him/her the final say. Sky Judge needs to be in charge of the team. 

Lets get full transparency and show the officials discussing it like the XFL did, It was very refreshing to watch the reviews happen live on TV. 

19 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Call no penalties during the game. Tuesday morning, hand out suspensions for everything including holding, off sides, delay of game and grounding leading to lifetime bans. That's how the real world works. No more winning just because you get away with breaking the rules.

Edited by beavis