On-Side Kick Rule Option

LB48

11 hours ago, Rubes said:

The question comes down to this: is the goal to increase the chances of the losing team getting another chance? Or is it to reduce concussions and other injuries?

If it's the latter, I guess I understand. But I don't know that I've seen that many injuries on these plays. Still, I wouldn't like it.

If it's the former, WTF? I think most of us agree that it should be an incredible long shot to get the ball back. Nobody wants to see the scales tipped too far in one direction.

The former caused by the latter before the 2018 season.  The NFL tv networks like close games and this option would keep the viewer engaged in the game longer. 

One solution I like better if they're intent on changing it is to move kickoff spot to the 32 yard line when attempting an onside kick and the ball only has to travel 8 yards before the kickoff team can touch it.  This would create more of a chance of recovery and not make the game as gimmicky.  

I love the concept but dislike the secondary option. 

4-15 as too short, too easy, and too many variables are involved in the outcome.  Plus its already giving an added advantage out the gate....being on offense. 

What I would prefer to see is a 60 yard field goal attempt.  If successful, you retain possession on your own 40 yard line.  Failure would hand possession to the opposition and the ball will be placed inside your territory on the 40 yard line. 

This adds even further value to the kicker position.   Its doable but is no way a give me and in some stadiums/conditions may be next to impossible. 

Love the concept:

1. adds excitement, great QB vs defense late in game 

2. game decided by offense and defense rather than a kickers ability to high bounce a ball

3. even if successful, you’ve got gain yards to scores afterwards. 
4. current onside kick recovery rate is 8%

the downside: 

1. limitations? Name another sport you can only do x when losing? And only twice in a game? A hockey team can pull goalie whenever they like? You can steal a base or intentionally walk a batter whenever. 
2. any math supporting 4-15 is likely to be better than 8% conversion rate?

3. Penalties. It’s a 4th down play, an offensive holding gets a first down? Would official put away the flags on this play? what happens if offense gets a holding call? 4-25? 

this is x=y, might be too many moving parts 

modify the onside kick might be simpler because the way it currently works isn’t good enough. 

On 5/21/2020 at 9:54 PM, LB48 said:

League Owners will consider this rule change in their upcoming Virtual Meeting.

Teams could still onside kick, but if this proposal was adopted, they also would have the opportunity to convert a 4th-and-15 scenario at their own 25-yard line to retain possession.  Teams could use the 4th-and-15 attempt only twice per game.

Gaining 15 or more yards, presumably by passing the football, is certainly easier than executing a successful onside kick. 

What's your opinion??

It basically eliminates the on-side kick.  If you play that scenario out, it would have to be a pass on 4th and 15, and being on the 25 yard  line it almost assuredly would result in a lot of TD’s for the opposition.  Now, it’s easy to go to the typical game at the last minute a team down and taking any kind of risk, but what about out of the box thinking like Sean Payton in the SB against the Colts, where they started the second half with an on-side kick.  I was rooting for the Saints, but that was a brassy call.  He’d never do that with this potential new rule.

So an actual insides kick would still be an option right?  I like the “surprise” onsides and would not want to see that eliminated.  Nothing here would do that though.   After a kick goes 10 yards it’s a free ball.   I guess I’m good with trying this.   It definitely favors teams with great qbs.  

20 hours ago, Talley56 said:

Not a fan. The general argument for those in favor of the rule seems to be that the current probability of recovering an onside kick is too low.  The thing is, I honestly think it should be low.  Scoring a TD and then following that by getting the ball back on the ensuing kickoff should take a miracle IMO.

I more see them acting like some games aren't exciting enough when they're blowouts, so the league needs to come up with some way to keep people interested.

Problem is, when some gimmicky nonsense like this affects a close match, between good teams, in an important game, it will feel really ****ing cheap. 

Edited by Prickly Pete

On 5/21/2020 at 11:28 PM, NewEra said:

If this passes, we’ll lose a super bowl because of it.  Terrible idea. I’d say a 4th and 30 would be more fair, but then the refs would still be able to become the stars of the game. No way id give the refs another opportunity to lose the game for us

Addendum: remove the refs from the field for this play.

Play Ball!!

11 hours ago, Prickly Pete said:

When we were kids we used to play "Canadian Rules" football...

...There are just so many ways to fix up this incredibly popular sport.

Penalty box?  Defense plays one player short for a series after an infraction?  ??  (Daboll still runs Gore into the pile...)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:45 PM, buffalo2218 said:

Only issue I have with this is too much of a chance of a ticky tack penalty giving the offense a first down. Imagine a bogus PI call

I agree. However, what they could do for instance is if there is a PI call on the 35 yd line, the Offense would get another play from there but it would  still be 4th & 15.

7 minutes ago, billykay said:

I agree. However, what they could do for instance is if there is a PI call on the 35 yd line, the Offense would get another play from there but it would  still be 4th & 15.

One interesting point I read on this. This will test a tired defense, and with that being the case, the Bills have the advantage with having so much depth

15 hours ago, billykay said:

What convoluted nonsense.

15 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

One interesting point I read on this. This will test a tired defense, and with that being the case, the Bills have the advantage with having so much depth

Another person that can only relate it to the Bills (and even only this current team)....SMHWTF

or 

"I know the Bills will lose because of this, that's why I don't like it"

Pretty simple minded.

This is a big change in the game, and would go way beyond just this team, this season.

It amounts to an extension of the extra point play, because the team is retaining possession of the ball...it's the "Bonus-Extra Points Obstacle Course" where a team can have one long 16 point possession.

Edited by Prickly Pete

Yet another let’s pretend we are making the game safer and better idea, and the league will bugger it up as they always do.  The league really dislikes the foot part of football (American rugby).  

At this rate there will be no kickoff by the time I die. If they want to make the game safer, (as they pretend to want to do) do one of two things, 1) no more helmets, or 2) actually fine guys for cheap shots. And make it punitive,  $100,000.00 bucks and up, with no appeal, either of these two options will fix their issues.

It is just a ploy to ween out the kicking part of the game. The league has floated ideas along this line several times over the last decade. These rules committees just make ***** up so they can say look we’re doin stuff to make the game safer and better, all along doing neither in actual practice. Just sayin, ?

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/21/2020 at 9:54 PM, LB48 said:

League Owners will consider this rule change in their upcoming Virtual Meeting.

Teams could still onside kick, but if this proposal was adopted, they also would have the opportunity to convert a 4th-and-15 scenario at their own 25-yard line to retain possession.  Teams could use the 4th-and-15 attempt only twice per game.

Gaining 15 or more yards, presumably by passing the football, is certainly easier than executing a successful onside kick. 

What's your opinion??

If they dont make then the opposing team shall get that ball at the 10 yard line of the other team, essentially all but guaranteeing some kind of points. High risk, high reward, high adverse consequences.

Edited by billsfan_34