Chiefs and Mahomes extension 40MM per year?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Never, huh?  In both of their first 4 years:

Dalton:  40 wins, 99TDs, 14758 yards, 2 playoff seasons

Prescott:  40 wins, 97 TDs, 15778 yards, 2 playoff seasons

Dalton:  66 INTs, 624 rushing yards, 11 rushing TDs

Prescott:  36 INTs, 1221 rushing yards, 21 rushing TDs

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Dak’s numbers vs above .500 teams is horrid. Most of Dak’s numbers comes against below .500 competition. I don’t see Dak ever winning the Cowboys a SB, he doesn’t play well vs better competition.

Do you Josh Allen winning a SB?  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ah, a textbook Weo argument.  Don’t include turnovers, qb rating,  rushing, current ages to make it look closer than it is.  Because if you did that, 

dalton - 85 QBs rating, 66 ints, 11 rushing tds, current age 32. 

dak - 97 qb rating, 36 ints, 21 rushing tds, current age 26.

i respect your sneakiness Weo.  Almost sold it.

also, I present Peyton Manning’s 1st 4 years:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm  ?

and please don’t twist this like Dak is going to be better than Manning but the guy has been good and some of you are working real hard to discredit him.  Like you do with almost every young qb (should I pull out the Mahomes training camp int thread?).  If Allen comes close to Dak, we will be begging the Bulls to pay him. 

We went 7-9 with Trent and JP.  We went 9/7 with Ej and Orton.  

You said he never in his career had Dak like results.  It's not sneaky to point out that is not factually correct.  Wins, TDs, yards, playoff appearances equivalent.  But you want to include rating and ints.....OK.  But adding them in doesn't change the fact that they had very similar career starts for their first 4 years.

Mentiining their current age is not germane to your original claim so why mention it?

I'm all in on Young QB Josh Allen, as you know.  

Is dak "good"?  Sure.  And maybe THIS will be the year he leads that star studded team deep into the playoffs.  If not, that's a lot of cap being tied up for the guy who only gets you so far....

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

fewer ints, more rushing, yes.  No more wins.

Swear to god some of these people do not watch pro football

Prescott’s 2019 season was in stat protector mode for a contract year. Bears game Exhibit A

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Swear to god some of these people do not watch pro football

Prescott’s 2019 season was in stat protector mode for a contract year. Bears game Exhibit A

As I said before...anybody gonna pay that guy because they truly feel he’s a winner?  A leader?  A guy who can will his (completely stacked) team to win?

no.

19 hours ago, Billl said:

If a team can’t make the playoffs with a QB throwing for 30TDs, 11 INTs, and 4,900 yards while earning $2,000,000, the problem isn’t the QB.

I agree. And giving Dak a $35MM deal is not going to help. The team as a whole surrounding Dak is on the decline. The defense never materialized into a top unit like we thought they might. And the o-line, once the best in the league not long ago, is now around average.  

The wildcard is the coaching change. Maybe McCarthy will be able to turn things around.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/22/2020 at 9:50 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

In hindsight, we should have probably drafted him. But he will be one if the few qbs who will deserve his money.  

the nfl needs to do something about this though.  It’s a joke how much qbs who aren’t good are getting paid. 

Teams need to be.......like the Chiefs........KC had Alex Smith...we were winning divisions with that guy.  he was putting up "numbers"  KC decided that he wasn't getting them to the top and traded up for Mahomes.  The problem with mediocre QB getting paid is most teams are too scared.  They know what they have with X, and sign him, instead of daring to be better, letting reliable mediocre X move on and getting someone that could be better in there.  The NFL doesn't need to do anything.  Teams need to be honest about the QB they have.  

Now, having said that...Andy Reid was/is one of the few guys who had the kind of job security and reputation to be able to go to an owner and say....I realize we are winning, we sell out the stadium every year and our QB is a good guy in the community etc...but he isn't good enough and I want to trade up in the draft for this guy who I think can be better.  Very few front offices can do that.  Normally a big QB change happens when the coach and GM have just been newly hired and they get one shot at this.  That is the problem.  If those guys find a QB that gets to 9 wins consistantly, they keep him, becuase the GM and coach keep their jobs because they are "winning"  they are "close".  You'd overpay a QB too if it menat you got to keep your 5 million per year job an extra year or three or 4.

3 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Teams need to be.......like the Chiefs........KC had Alex Smith...we were winning divisions with that guy.  he was putting up "numbers"  KC decided that he wasn't getting them to the top and traded up for Mahomes.  The problem with mediocre QB getting paid is most teams are too scared.  They know what they have with X, and sign him, instead of daring to be better, letting reliable mediocre X move on and getting someone that could be better in there.  The NFL doesn't need to do anything.  Teams need to be honest about the QB they have.  

Now, having said that...Andy Reid was/is one of the few guys who had the kind of job security and reputation to be able to go to an owner and say....I realize we are winning, we sell out the stadium every year and our QB is a good guy in the community etc...but he isn't good enough and I want to trade up in the draft for this guy who I think can be better.  Very few front offices can do that.  Normally a big QB change happens when the coach and GM have just been newly hired and they get one shot at this.  That is the problem.  If those guys find a QB that gets to 9 wins consistantly, they keep him, becuase the GM and coach keep their jobs because they are "winning"  they are "close".  You'd overpay a QB too if it menat you got to keep your 5 million per year job an extra year or three or 4.

There are 32 teams in the league and at least half of them could use better QB play.

It's fine and dandy for you as a Chiefs fan to be happy and be a little "this is how everyone should do it" but the reality is that IF Mahomes turned 

out not to be as good as he is they would be in a completely different position.

It's a fact that more 1st round QBs end up being mediocre than elite.  In many ways it's just a crapshoot.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

There are 32 teams in the league and at least half of them could use better QB play.

It's fine and dandy for you as a Chiefs fan to be happy and be a little "this is how everyone should do it" but the reality is that IF Mahomes turned 

out not to be as good as he is they would be in a completely different position.

It's a fact that more 1st round QBs end up being mediocre than elite.  In many ways it's just a crapshoot.

yes....not super bowl champions.....just like before we had Mahomes.  And then you don't pay Mahomes if he isn't good...you go and try and find a guy who is good.   You are making my point for me.  It's hard to win a title with a midling QB....it can be done.  it's just harder to build a generational defense, draft well for 3 or 4 years in a row and have everything culminate just right for one season.  

If you don't have the QB, then you need a QB.  You don't pay a QB big money (that what this thread is about..paying big money for average QB) if he isn't a big money type player.  

7 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

yes....not super bowl champions.....just like before we had Mahomes.  And then you don't pay Mahomes if he isn't good...you go and try and find a guy who is good.   You are making my point for me.  It's hard to win a title with a midling QB....it can be done.  it's just harder to build a generational defense, draft well for 3 or 4 years in a row and have everything culminate just right for one season.  

If you don't have the QB, then you need a QB.  You don't pay a QB big money (that what this thread is about..paying big money for average QB) if he isn't a big money type player.  

No, you're making my point.  There are not enough "elite" QBs for a 32 team league.

Every year the top rated QBs coming into the league get drafted quickly.

Your team took a chance and it paid off well.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

No, you're making my point.  There are not enough "elite" QBs for a 32 team league.

Every year the top rated QBs coming into the league get drafted quickly.

Your team took a chance and it paid off well.

......which is my point.  

Is your point that teams just stick with a Tyrod Taylor type QB because he's decent or an Andy Dalton type?  Should Joe Flacco make a bazillion dollars?  Kirk Cousins?  Or do you "take a chance" and try and improve?  

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

......which is my point.  

Is your point that teams just stick with a Tyrod Taylor type QB because he's decent or an Andy Dalton type?  Should Joe Flacco make a bazillion dollars?  Kirk Cousins?  Or do you "take a chance" and try and improve?  

Sounds great. When it works.

Just now, Zerovoltz said:

Of course......but the point is do you pay Kirk Cousins a ton of money to be Kirk Cousins or do you keep drafting and trying QB's until you find one?

When do we pick these hypothetical replacement QBs? 2? 1?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

When do we pick these hypothetical replacement QBs? 2? 1?

When do you pay a guy like a top tier QB?  The point is if you don't have a top tier QB.....

1. you shouldn't pay a guy like a top tier guy who isn't one.

2.  you need a top tier guy.