WE WON THE OFFSEASON!!! (Again)

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Rex was must see TV and you KNOW it!?

Welp, I was aiming to tear you a new one on this unusually bad take from you, but @Thurman#1 did a fine job, so I’ll just toss flowers his way, with this caveat; in this ‘year of the ‘Rona’, NOTHING will be ascertained about anything remotely future convincing in sports. Everything will be upside down & inside out. Allen could have superior, ‘Know for sure’ stats and still not make the playoffs. Injuries and freak plays could derail the defense and have him facing shootouts every week. He plays with high energy and is fueled by mafia mania. Empty stands seem far more likely at this point than even family members only.

We got a re-do with All World Jim Kelly when the USFL folded. It was his 3rd season as a pro. While he was much better than the carousel of clowns paraded out before him, we’d made the playoffs twice with him by ‘89 and the jury was STILL out on whether ‘he’s the guy’.  Even through our unprecedented 4 straight SBs, there were still those still calling for his head and wanting FR to start.

The only thing that gives your view any credence is his current comp. %. Need you be reminded he’s been among the very top of the League in suffering dropped passes? He possesses  a howitzer of a right arm and attempts many throws no one else even considers as they don’t have the talent. Half his drops suffered are by shocked receivers who couldn’t believe the ball hit their hands, given how completely covered they were.

You're better than your take here. Witlessness like this is reserved for our bevy of ‘Know it all/know nothing’ gang.

Ummm...seems like some folks get pretty sensitive when it comes to Josh. After 3 years of starting, you are who you are. Sure you can slightly improve in one area or another but please tell me what QB AFTER 3 YEARS OF STARTING wasn't who they were going to be? If Josh shows no improvement this season and is making the same mistakes all year that he made last year, still doesnt get his deep ball together, etc...You better believe all options would be on the table to bring in competition next year. Conversely, if he comes in this season and shows he is still improving and ups that completion percentage and hits deep balls t an acceptable rate, QB WILL NOT be considered for upgrade next offseason.

Injuries and wins/losses dont matter. He can still be independently evaluated regardless. Right now he is the unquestioned starter. THAT IS ON THE LINE THIS YEAR. He can totally solidify this or tear it apart. This is the first year he faces this type situation. That is why I call it make it or break it! I understand you may not agree with that but don't attack my assessment as if its utterly ridiculous or as you called it "unusually bad take."

• Like (+1) 1

^. ^

”the same mistakes all year that he made last year”?? He improved his play significantly on a game to game basis. It’s obvious what camp you’ve set your pup tent up in. Equally obvious you’re not going to consider opposing views, regardless of facts.

Good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Let’s just hope the Bills live up to preseason expectations unlike the Browns last year who were practically crowned SB champions only to completely bomb.

This concerns me too, but again, I think all bets are off this season during the pandemic. Schedules could be significantly reduced and creative playoff formats appear to be all the rage today. If we win the Super Bowl this year, I’ll never Place an asterisk next to it. Short of this, I don’t see anything foretelling the future once life returns to last years’ ‘normal’. 

12 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Let’s just hope the Bills live up to preseason expectations unlike the Browns last year who were practically crowned SB champions only to completely bomb.

Coaching is HUGE in the NFL, moreso than probably any other sport. That doesnt worry me at all about this team.

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

^. ^

”the same mistakes all year that he made last year”?? He improved his play significantly on a game to game basis. It’s obvious what camp you’ve set your pup tent up in. Equally obvious you’re not going to consider opposing views, regardless of facts.

Good luck with that.

WRONG...Im a huge Josh fan and would bet good money he solidifies himself as our franchise QB. Just playing devil's advocate to defend my statement. I do consider opposing views and can see why some would disagree with it being a make it or break it year (mainly cause of how you define it) but in the same vain, how can you look at my opposing view and consider it absurd. This is not the 80's or 90's it's the 20's and in this modern day microwave and age you should know that with all the upgrades coupled with it being year 3 as a starter, THIS IS A HUGE YEAR FOR JOSH. I expect he will be close to his ceiling this year with only room left for marginal improvements. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love what this piece says about Diggs and giving us a chance to make up our minds about Allen after his 3rd season.

Folk are going to be disappointed when they start to realize Diggs can't throw the ball to himself.

No more excuses!  

13 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, he's got two more seasons plus a 5th year option if they want. Still plenty of time to evaluate. And he's done nothing but improve and win games.

Please stay with the media narrative - players do not improve out of college and Josh will never be good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I love what this piece says about Diggs and giving us a chance to make up our minds about Allen after his 3rd season.

Folk are going to be disappointed when they start to realize Diggs can't throw the ball to himself.

No more excuses!  

Good thing we've got that covered then! That would be this guy who'll be throwing the ball to him for years to come. ;)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Thanks to the OP for this.  

I'd actually move us up to 3 or 4.  Not a huge fan of the Browns and Indy ahead of us.  I can see the arguments for Tampa, Dallas, and Denver ahead of us.  I also though that Balt would be higher on this list.  They had a great draft and decent FA signings, albeit it seems some of the FA signings represented no upgrade, but no downgrade either.  

1 hour ago, Talley56 said:

we will.  lots of hungry players and MUCH better coaching staff! 

The only significant move was trading for Diggs unless Epenesa and/or Moss turn out to be great. We did nothing to improve an OL that still needs some serious upgrading. Other than Diggs, much of this talk amounts to counting your chickens before they hatch. I just hope they prove me wrong, but this looks like a roster full of mediocre players.

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

lots of hungry players and MUCH better coaching staff! 

Yes, but Wrecks always made time for players (and well connected coaches) to "go eat a #+~~€&@ snack"!

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, StHustle said:

Well not quite...but we did get ranked #6! The Bucs won the offseason according to this article. Each team gets ranked with summaries of what went right, what went wrong, what the team could have done better and what's left to do.

Not a fan of how they hedged their bets on the Josh Norman signing, putting it under both what went right AND what went wrong sections. I also disagree with their take on Moss...but besides that, pretty cool stuff and I think #6 is fair.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29180831/ranking-2020-nfl-offseasons-worst-first-barnwell-all-32-teams#BUF

Here is a snippet:

buf.png&h=110&w=110

6. Buffalo Bills

What went right: The Bills loaded up on defensive linemen and might have the NFL's deepest line. While Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips left in free agency, Buffalo signed former Panthers Mario Addison and Vernon Butler, added Quinton Jefferson and then used their top selection on AJ Epenesa. Another former Panthers player joined the organization when Buffalo signed cornerback Josh Norman to a one-year, $6 million deal. Given how frequently defenders have improved after joining the Bills, the Norman deal could turn out to be a valuable flier for Sean McDermott & Co.

The headline move, of course, was trading four selections to the Vikings for star wideout Stefon Diggs. I saw it as a win for both sides, and I like the Bills taking a risk to add a guy who is one of the most talented receivers in football when healthy. In addition to making this team better in 2020, Diggs should make it easier for the organization to make up its mind about third-year quarterback Josh Allen by the end of the season. McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane also supplemented Allen's offensive line by bringing back Quinton Spain and signing Daryl Williams, another former Panthers player, to a one-year deal.

I like the Williams signing,  could maybe start at RT and move Ford inside to play guard. I think Diggs gives Allen more big play potential when you combine him with Brown. I also believe Moss will be surprise of the draft,  he reminds me of Travis Henry who was tough to bring down and had decent speed.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There has been a number of QBs who changed after year 3 by the way. 

Drew Brees was traded away by Chargers and then was voted All Pro.

Alex Smith was trade away by Niners and was voted to Pro Bowl three times as Chief.

Awesome...2 examples out of possible hundreds...thanks for proving my point.

Nothing is gonna be 100%. So because I say a statement like "you are who you are after 3 seasons" I guess for the technical guy like you I should say "98% of the time" first.

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Awesome...2 examples out of possible hundreds...thanks for proving my point.

Nothing is gonna be 100%. So because I say a statement like "you are who you are after 3 seasons" I guess for the technical guy like you I should say "98% of the time" first.

The thing is, I would be more in your camp if it were a true statement that Josh hasn’t been showing consistent improvement over the average course of his starts—and I think it’s safe to say that on balance he continues to improve overall. That is why an arbitrary number of 3 doesn’t hold water for me in Josh’s situation. Those who would either flame out or stay where they are by definition couldn’t be showing consistent improvement, right? It’s a simple exercise in logic, imho. 

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The thing is, I would be more in your camp if it were a true statement that Josh hasn’t been showing consistent improvement over the average course of his starts—and I think it’s safe to say that on balance he continues to improve overall. That is why an arbitrary number of 3 doesn’t hold water for me in Josh’s situation. Those who would either flame out or stay where they are by definition couldn’t be showing consistent improvement, right? It’s a simple exercise in logic, imho. 

So because he has shown consistent improvement his first 2 years means he can have any kind of year 3 (with the most talented roster the Bills have had in a long time) and he is still the unquestioned starter??

No! He has to still show continuous improvement to keep that title as UNQUESTIONED starter. If he were to regress (guess what?? This happens sometimes in the NFL) then his future would be in question and McBeane would have to start considering other options where as this year that was nowhere in their mental.

Btw...3 is no arbitrary number. Year 3 is generally accepted as the year the baby needs to be produced whether it be a coaching staff or QB.

With all that said....I have big faith in Josh and feel 95% sure in my mind he will keep improving and may even "arrive" this year. But that doesn't take away my viewpoint that this is a make or break year when it comes to his role as unquestioned starter

• Like (+1) 1