WE WON THE OFFSEASON!!! (Again)

Well not quite...but we did get ranked #6! The Bucs won the offseason according to this article. Each team gets ranked with summaries of what went right, what went wrong, what the team could have done better and what's left to do.

Not a fan of how they hedged their bets on the Josh Norman signing, putting it under both what went right AND what went wrong sections. I also disagree with their take on Moss...but besides that, pretty cool stuff and I think #6 is fair.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29180831/ranking-2020-nfl-offseasons-worst-first-barnwell-all-32-teams#BUF

Here is a snippet:

buf.png&h=110&w=110

6. Buffalo Bills

What went right: The Bills loaded up on defensive linemen and might have the NFL's deepest line. While Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips left in free agency, Buffalo signed former Panthers Mario Addison and Vernon Butler, added Quinton Jefferson and then used their top selection on AJ Epenesa. Another former Panthers player joined the organization when Buffalo signed cornerback Josh Norman to a one-year, $6 million deal. Given how frequently defenders have improved after joining the Bills, the Norman deal could turn out to be a valuable flier for Sean McDermott & Co.

The headline move, of course, was trading four selections to the Vikings for star wideout Stefon Diggs. I saw it as a win for both sides, and I like the Bills taking a risk to add a guy who is one of the most talented receivers in football when healthy. In addition to making this team better in 2020, Diggs should make it easier for the organization to make up its mind about third-year quarterback Josh Allen by the end of the season. McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane also supplemented Allen's offensive line by bringing back Quinton Spain and signing Daryl Williams, another former Panthers player, to a one-year deal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bucs won off-season only if T*m Br*dy can teach them how to whine and cheat.

Interesting Spain got attention from multiple sources (probably means people copied other sources) but nothing on Jordan Poyer' extension.

May have had something to do with spain popping up as a FA and poyer technically still had another year. Easy for that to go under the radar 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

"Diggs should make it easier for the organization to make up its mind about third-year quarterback Josh Allen by the end of the season."

what are they even talking about?

Yeah, he's got two more seasons plus a 5th year option if they want. Still plenty of time to evaluate. And he's done nothing but improve and win games.

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, he's got two more seasons plus a 5th year option if they want. Still plenty of time to evaluate. And he's done nothing but improve and win games.

I think they expect him to be good. This notion that they are uncertain is projecting by a certain sector who have always been skeptical for the most part. I think the locker room is convinced. Doesn't mean they couldn't be wrong, but they didn't invest in Diggs to get clarity.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

"Diggs should make it easier for the organization to make up its mind about third-year quarterback Josh Allen by the end of the season."

what are they even talking about?

This is a make it or break it year for Josh. If he cant start putting points on the board with the surrounding cast he has, they have to start considering bringing in competition, You really think their mind is made up? Sure they believe in him and are confident...but Mcbeane are not some homers who wear rose colored glasses...they know the jury is still out.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, StHustle said:

This is a make it or break it year for Josh. If he cant start putting points on the board with the surrounding cast he has, they have to start considering bringing in competition, You really think their mind is made up? Sure they believe in him and are confident...but Mcbeane are not some homers who wear rose colored glasses...they know the jury is still out.

nice find on the article and thanks for posting it. I can’t really disagree with it - the “wrong” section was minor quibbles, i.e. the money paid for norman and the backup QB situation. So all in all I think they’re in very good shape.

And I am not surprised a bit that the Brady move made ESPN hand the offseason title to Tampa. Don’t agree with it, but it’s ESPN.

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

"They know the jury is still out," yeah, fair enough.

"This is a make it or break it year for Josh"? Nah, not even close.

The only way he breaks it is with a major regression, and the only way he makes it is with a mammoth and unexpected level of improvement. Probably around a 60 - 80% chance that even with the level of improvement that most here expect they still aren't sure he's a QB here for 10 years barring injury. These things often take time. Not always, but with a guy like Josh it's probably the most likely outcome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

"This is a make it or break it year for Josh"? Nah, not even close.

The only way he breaks it is with a major regression, and the only way he makes it is with a mammoth and unexpected level of improvement. Probably around a 60 - 80% chance that even with the level of improvement that most here expect they still aren't sure he's a QB here for 10 years barring injury. These things often take time. Not always, but with a guy like Josh it's probably the most likely outcome.

When I say make it or break it I mean as far as the job being locked in as his. If he has a great year and shows he is the real deal he could afford to have a bad year the season after and still remain the undisputed starter. If he has a bad season this year (btw I dont see that happening AT ALL) then his whole future would be questioned.

To me that is make it or break it. I know to others that phrase is reserved to meaning in jeopardy of being fired or cut but I see it differently. 

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

When I say make it or break it I mean as far as the job being locked in as his. If he has a great year and shows he is the real deal he could afford to have a bad year the season after and still remain the undisputed starter. If he has a bad season this year (btw I dont see that happening AT ALL) then his whole future would be questioned.

To me that is make it or break it. I know to others that phrase is reserved to meaning in jeopardy of being fired or cut but I see it differently. 

OK, fair enough. That's not what I think make it or break it means, but I now understand that that's what you meant.

But you're saying it's a make it or break it year means it's got to happen this year, right? That they know by the end of this year whether or not he's the undisputed starter?

Understanding that, I still think you're dead wrong. The likelihood of them knowing he's locked in the job for the future by the end of this year is very far from 100%. IMO it's lower than it would be that he would make it or break it but still probably somewhere in the area of a 35% - 65% likelihood.

Still not sure I understand what you're saying 100%, so I'll just say what I think. We're pretty likely to end the season not knowing if he's the guy for us for the future. We'll likely have a better idea. But I personally doubt it will come anywhere near being sure of him. I could be wrong ... easily ... I know that and that's why I'm not saying I know what's going to happen, just what I think the likelihood is. I hope I'm wrong and that by the end of the year he's proven himself a franchise guy. We'll see.

Oh, and from "The Free Dictionary," make it or break it is defined as, "Of, leading to, or causing an outcome that will either be a total success or a total failure." Merriam-Webster has it as, "resulting in either definite success or definite failure." I think you're misusing the phrase a bit. The good season and bad season outcomes you're describing are neither total success nor total failure.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Count me as a big fan of Josh Allen ,but yeah if he can’t produce with a much more loaded offense and the same system for 3 years then it won’t be long before the grumbling begins. Mcbeane are committed to building a perennial winner and I love that!!! 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I liked this FAR better than anything Rex told us! 

Rex was must see TV and you KNOW it!?

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

Welp, I was aiming to tear you a new one on this unusually bad take from you, but @Thurman#1 did a fine job, so I’ll just toss flowers his way, with this caveat; in this ‘year of the ‘Rona’, NOTHING will be ascertained about anything remotely future convincing in sports. Everything will be upside down & inside out. Allen could have superior, ‘Know for sure’ stats and still not make the playoffs. Injuries and freak plays could derail the defense and have him facing shootouts every week. He plays with high energy and is fueled by mafia mania. Empty stands seem far more likely at this point than even family members only.

We got a re-do with All World Jim Kelly when the USFL folded. It was his 3rd season as a pro. While he was much better than the carousel of clowns paraded out before him, we’d made the playoffs twice with him by ‘89 and the jury was STILL out on whether ‘he’s the guy’.  Even through our unprecedented 4 straight SBs, there were still those still calling for his head and wanting FR to start.

The only thing that gives your view any credence is his current comp. %. Need you be reminded he’s been among the very top of the League in suffering dropped passes? He possesses  a howitzer of a right arm and attempts many throws no one else even considers as they don’t have the talent. Half his drops suffered are by shocked receivers who couldn’t believe the ball hit their hands, given how completely covered they were.

You're better than your take here. Witlessness like this is reserved for our bevy of ‘Know it all/know nothing’ gang.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

May have had something to do with spain popping up as a FA and poyer technically still had another year. Easy for that to go under the radar 

And interestingly, the Poyer extension may be the best example of why most of us fans are atypically hopeful right now. There's a very clear (appearance at least) of a plan, and of players who want to be there (although Spain is a great example of that too). 

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Allen needs to improve again this year.  But, so far, the improvement curve is encouraging.  My bet is he gets better.  Franchise QB, maybe not next year, but, still going to be headed that way imho.