Dallas 175 million 5 year offer to Prescott

5 hours ago, Plano said:

I'll say it again.

DAK IS NOT GOOD.

Dallas is the laughing stock of the NFL for even entertaining his "demands" and offering him this.

He is also a complete moron for turning this down. Especially in this time, when he likely isn't even going to play this year, can get paid to sit at home at this crazy rate.

But nah, he's going to turn it down and expect better elsewhere. GTFO

What are you talking about?  Turned what down?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I keep harping on it but Dallas is in a different situation. They have Lamb, Cooper, Zeke, Zack Martin, Tyron Smith, Demarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Gallup, etc... all under contract for AT LEAST the next 3 years. They AREN’T making sacrifices to keep Dak. They have like 9 of their 10 best players (excluding Vander Esche) under contract for 3+ seasons. 

To equate the sacrifices that they’ll be making to the Bills it would be like being forced to go with Vosean Joseph instead of AJ Klein.  You aren’t going to sign veteran depth guys. You’re going to have to draft well because the middle and back of your roster will be younger. Is that even a drop off though? That’s the situation that they are in. The top of their roster is locked in and ready to roll. They’ve drafted well so have some young talent on rookie deals. They’re going to have to continue to do so but they’re in good shape. 

But the current Cowboys core with all of those players is at best a 10 win team. If they didn't have to reserve close to 40 million this offseason and going forward for Dak they could have added 4 to 3 pieces or retained Byron Jones and added 2 more pieces to the roster. 

The Cowboys in the short term might be able to keep the team together but are they really going to be able to improve a roster that is capped at about 10 wins?

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

But the current Cowboys core with all of those players is at best a 10 win team. If they didn't have to reserve close to 40 million this offseason and going forward for Dak they could have added 4 to 3 pieces or retained Byron Jones and added 2 more pieces to the roster. 

The Cowboys in the short term might be able to keep the team together but are they really going to be able to improve a roster that is capped at about 10 wins?

Dak’s cap hit will go down if he signs long term. They can add Jamal Adams too if they want. The Cowboys have as much top end talent as anyone. If McCarthy can get it together that team can compete. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Billl said:

He’s literally not asking for more money.  He’s asking for the exact contract that’s been offered minus the fifth year.

you realize that is...more money, right?

4 years at the same rate you'd get for 5 years?

4 years @full rate=more money annually 

5 years@full rate=less money annually

53 minutes ago, Plano said:

you realize that is...more money, right?

4 years at the same rate you'd get for 5 years?

4 years @full rate=more money annually 

5 years@full rate=less money annually

That’s not it. He’s wants the same amount annually for only 4 years that the Cowboys want for 5 years. He wants the chance to hit free agency again sooner and they want 1 more year of commitment. That has been the holdup in the negotiation.

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not it. He’s wants the same amount annually for only 4 years that the Cowboys want for 5 years. He wants the chance to hit free agency again sooner and they want 1 more year of commitment. That has been the holdup in the negotiation.

my mistake, I was not aware. I rarely watch ESPN, I was misinformed. Thank you for the clarification. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Dak’s cap hit will go down if he signs long term. They can add Jamal Adams too if they want. The Cowboys have as much top end talent as anyone. If McCarthy can get it together that team can compete. 

Dak's cap hit with the franchise tag currently sits at about 31.5 million. How much lower is his cap hit going to be if he signs a deal that averages 35 million a season? The cap might also not go up in 2021 and 2022 as projected making his contract more of a burden long term. 

Yes they could add Jamal Adams in 2020 but the Cowboys aren't a Jamal Addams away from competing for a title. The Cowboys with Dak's 31.5 million dollar tag deal have 60% of their cap committed to their top 10 players. For reference the Bills have about 38% and the Saints (who have a hefty QB contract) have 45%. You need depth to win in the NFL and having a lot of top end talent can easily be eaten away with even just 2 or 3 injuries. 

The Cowboys are looking like the Rams roster heavily committed to a lot of hefty contracts at the expense of their depth. The only difference between the Rams and Cowboys is they haven't bankrupted their draft picks nearly as badly. But with Dak eating up 15% or more of their cap and Amari and Lawrence combining for another 20% of their cap that team is not going to get past 10 wins and one playoff victory unless they either draft amazingly or Dak plays well beyond his best. 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I appreciate the simple explanation- I have been vaguely following and no one explained it this way.