Dallas 175 million 5 year offer to Prescott

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jones screwed this up.  Never should have paid Cooper.

This is where they dropped the ball. I’d bet if they knew they could get Lamb they would have never paid Cooper. They can certainly afford Dak but he needed to be the priority.

13 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Except like Dalton, Prescott has also showed he can only get so far. Dak is not worth what he’s asking for. He’s done nothing to deserve that kind of contract. Dallas is Elliott’s team not Prescott’s. Prescott to me is just a better version of Tyrod Taylor. You cave in and pay Prescott what he wants, then say goodbye to any chance of getting a super bowl

But they won’t be able to if Jones pays him what he wants. That team financially will fall apart 

Prescott is younger than Dalton and still can grow.  He's better than Tyrod too.  No QB is "worth" what Prescott will get, but that's business in the NFL.  Next QB up gets paid.  Mahomes will get paid more and on and on.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where they dropped the ball. I’d bet if they knew they could get Lamb they would have never paid Cooper. They can certainly afford Dak but he needed to be the priority.

You never lock up a WR when your franchise QB is due. You franchise a guy like Cooper all day long. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

And now he's untradeable.

And we couldn’t be happier!!  

although I am quite PO’d that Lamb fell into their lap.  He was my favorite player in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll say it again.

DAK IS NOT GOOD.

Dallas is the laughing stock of the NFL for even entertaining his "demands" and offering him this.

He is also a complete moron for turning this down. Especially in this time, when he likely isn't even going to play this year, can get paid to sit at home at this crazy rate.

But nah, he's going to turn it down and expect better elsewhere. GTFO

41 minutes ago, Plano said:

I'll say it again.

DAK IS NOT GOOD.

Dallas is the laughing stock of the NFL for even entertaining his "demands" and offering him this.

He is also a complete moron for turning this down. Especially in this time, when he likely isn't even going to play this year, can get paid to sit at home at this crazy rate.

But nah, he's going to turn it down and expect better elsewhere. GTFO

Just because you yell it doesn’t make it true. Dak is definitely good. That’s not even up for debate. Is Dak great? Can Dak become great? Those are different questions. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/22/2020 at 6:30 AM, Hampton Josh fan said:

Just goes to show,  a slightly above average QB, who has accomplished very little,  gets ridiculous money. The Buffalo defense made him look like Peterman Thanksgiving day. Every QB in the AFC east will be as good or probably better. 

I wouldn't say he looked like Peterman but Dak looked subpar against top defenses. If you are paying Dak you are paying him on speculation that he will improve his quality of play. 

56 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn't say he looked like Peterman but Dak looked subpar against top defenses. If you are paying Dak you are paying him on speculation that he will improve his quality of play. 

I guess in the  environment we have, if you believe a guy has a high ceiling, you have to retain him. That's why I'm rooting so hard for Josh. It's painful to start the process again if you're a team that's 9and 7 or 8and8. You're drafting to late to get an elite talent. Plus that scenario is a coach killer. 

1 hour ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

I guess in the  environment we have, if you believe a guy has a high ceiling, you have to retain him. That's why I'm rooting so hard for Josh. It's painful to start the process again if you're a team that's 9and 7 or 8and8. You're drafting to late to get an elite talent. Plus that scenario is a coach killer. 

The issue is that it is a big risk to take a chance paying an above average but not quite elite QB top 3-4 money at the biggest money positions. That means you aren't getting top 7-8 play at the most key position and you are paying him a kings ransom which surrounds him with less talent and pretty much sticks you are a 8-8ish level for years to come. I doubt the Redskins regret not paying Kirk Cousins a big contract. But I do think that the Jaguars regret handing Bortles a big contract and I think the Dolphins regret paying Tanny a big contract too (And I think the Titans will regret handing him one too.) I also think that the Rams are starting to worry about that Goff extension (although I think he can still pan out it is crippling that team.) 

I think it is much more frequently that teams regret handing less than proven QB's big contracts based on speculation. Yes some teams luck out and lock in a Russell Wilson on a good deal as he outperforms his previously big contract (Which is made even more of a deal as the cap goes up.) However I think the outcome is far more likely to be that a team regrets their big QB contract than loves it. 

I guess my point is that if you have a Mahomes or Brady or Rodgers type QB who is consistently a top 5-6ish QB pay them. Even a consistently proven top 10 QB over 3 seasons like Matt Ryan is worth big money (the positional advantage is far too great even for a guy in the 8-10 range.) But if you have a guy like Dak whose best season was one year being a top 10 QB statically I am not so sure I want to pay that guy the big money top 3 QB deal. 

It just seems difficult to justify paying an above average QB on speculation of improvement. It seems like that is a decision made by a fearful GM as opposed to someone who actually thinks the QB will justify the contract. 

30 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The issue is that it is a big risk to take a chance paying an above average but not quite elite QB top 3-4 money at the biggest money positions. That means you aren't getting top 7-8 play at the most key position and you are paying him a kings ransom which surrounds him with less talent and pretty much sticks you are a 8-8ish level for years to come. I doubt the Redskins regret not paying Kirk Cousins a big contract. But I do think that the Jaguars regret handing Bortles a big contract and I think the Dolphins regret paying Tanny a big contract too (And I think the Titans will regret handing him one too.) I also think that the Rams are starting to worry about that Goff extension (although I think he can still pan out it is crippling that team.) 

I think it is much more frequently that teams regret handing less than proven QB's big contracts based on speculation. Yes some teams luck out and lock in a Russell Wilson on a good deal as he outperforms his previously big contract (Which is made even more of a deal as the cap goes up.) However I think the outcome is far more likely to be that a team regrets their big QB contract than loves it. 

I guess my point is that if you have a Mahomes or Brady or Rodgers type QB who is consistently a top 5-6ish QB pay them. Even a consistently proven top 10 QB over 3 seasons like Matt Ryan is worth big money (the positional advantage is far too great even for a guy in the 8-10 range.) But if you have a guy like Dak whose best season was one year being a top 10 QB statically I am not so sure I want to pay that guy the big money top 3 QB deal. 

It just seems difficult to justify paying an above average QB on speculation of improvement. It seems like that is a decision made by a fearful GM as opposed to someone who actually thinks the QB will justify the contract. 

Sounds about right. 

38 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I keep harping on it but Dallas is in a different situation. They have Lamb, Cooper, Zeke, Zack Martin, Tyron Smith, Demarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Gallup, etc... all under contract for AT LEAST the next 3 years. They AREN’T making sacrifices to keep Dak. They have like 9 of their 10 best players (excluding Vander Esche) under contract for 3+ seasons. 

To equate the sacrifices that they’ll be making to the Bills it would be like being forced to go with Vosean Joseph instead of AJ Klein.  You aren’t going to sign veteran depth guys. You’re going to have to draft well because the middle and back of your roster will be younger. Is that even a drop off though? That’s the situation that they are in. The top of their roster is locked in and ready to roll. They’ve drafted well so have some young talent on rookie deals. They’re going to have to continue to do so but they’re in good shape. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson