Dallas 175 million 5 year offer to Prescott

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just to be clear DAK is seeking the shorter extension. DALLAS wants the 5 years.

My bad. So I guess their strategy is lock him in now and 3 years from now with salary cap increases they won't be strapped by his contract. That makes some kind of sense. If I were them I would do the shorter contract and let Dak prove himself.

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

WHO?

WHO DO THEY HAVE TO CUT?

Please look at the roster before saying this stuff.

I'm not saying they have to cut any superstars. They will have to cut some of their depth and more importantly they will not be able to add to their team. The roster that went 8-8 is the same except for draft picks.

There are legitimate reasons to question if he can take his game to that next level. If you look at his game log last year it's not like their losses were all blow outs where Dak didn't have a chance. They lost to the Saints 12-10. They lost to the Jets 24-22. Patriots 13-9. Bills 26-15. Eagles 17-9. He had opportunities to win those games and couldn't do it. Dak's average passer rating in those losses was 78.6. This is on an offense with a top 5 RB, top 10 WR, and one of the best offensive lines in football. It is not ridiculous to question if he's worth a mega extension.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, T master said:

If your smart and don't carry all your homy's with you every where you go and blow it ?  

Here’s the real reason Prescott gets so much hate around here.  It’s articulated just as eloquently as one would expect.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

My bad. So I guess their strategy is lock him in now and 3 years from now with salary cap increases they won't be strapped by his contract. That makes some kind of sense. If I were them I would do the shorter contract and let Dak prove himself.

I'm not saying they have to cut any superstars. They will have to cut some of their depth and more importantly they will not be able to add to their team. The roster that went 8-8 is the same except for draft picks.

There are legitimate reasons to question if he can take his game to that next level. If you look at his game log last year it's not like their losses were all blow outs where Dak didn't have a chance. They lost to the Saints 12-10. They lost to the Jets 24-22. Patriots 13-9. Bills 26-15. Eagles 17-9. He had opportunities to win win those games and couldn't do it. Dak's average passer rating in those losses was 78.6. This is on an offense with a top 5 RB, top 10 WR, and one of the best offensive lines in football. It is not ridiculous to question if he's worth a mega extension.

They had a down year last year, no doubt. That would be fine if Dak played one season as a starter. He's played 4.

Jason Garrett coached 9 full seasons in Dallas. He's hit double digit wins 3 times, two of them with Dak.  Dak with JG was 40-24. JG without Dak is 40-40.  JG has coached 5 playoff games, 3 of them with Dak. Dak has 14 GWD's and 8 4th Q comebacks in 4 years. Average passer rating is 97.

And most importantly, they have very little chance of acquiring a franchise QB if they lose Dak. You say their team is great around the QB.  Are they going to be in the running for Lawrence next year?  Maybe they draft a Jordan Love-type late and he reaches his peak 3 years down the road.  Then what happens with guys like Cooper who are reaching the final years of their deal? 

It's bad team building strategy to roll the dice on finding a new QB NOW. That's why rather than get rid of their stars and going into a rebuild, they fired their terrible coach and are trying to retain basically EVERYONE.  That doesn't guarantee a SB win by any means. but as you said, they have a good team RIGHT NOW.  Why would you reset it all?

Dak is worth it. Period.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Dak is insane not to accept this contract, or try to get a shorter-contract with the average annual value the same as you suggest.  If he wants to be on himself, fine.  That should work for both Dallas and Dak, IMO.  

He just wants another crack at FA as soon as he can get it. The NBA guys are doing this every year. They sign a 1+1 deal and then when the cap increases they opt out and sign a new deal. Dak will be 30 (I think) at the end of a 4 year deal. Basically he will become a FA again when he’s Andrew Luck’s age. For some perspective Stafford is 32. Dalton is 33. Dak is playing the long game (as he should). 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

Here’s the real reason Prescott gets so much hate around here.  It’s articulated just as eloquently as one would expect.

lol nah it's Allen insecurity for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He just wants another crack at FA as soon as he can get it. The NBA guys are doing this every year. They sign a 1+1 deal and then when the cap increases they opt out and sign a new deal. Dak will be 30 (I think) at the end of a 4 year deal. Basically he will become a FA again when he’s Andrew Luck’s age. For some perspective Stafford is 32. Dalton is 33. Dak is playing the long game (as he should). 

Russell took 4 years too. Went from 4 years $87M to 4 years $140M.  The QB's are sick of Joakim Noah money.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Admittedly, I'm not a true believer in all stats. Wins matter. Look at Winston. Some of his QB stats are gaudy. Got him cut. DP needs to take the money. 

1) QBs wins are the most overrated stat.  No matter how we try to do it, football is the ultimate team game.  It’s one if the reasons I’m not sold on Allen.  I think a lot of QbS could have got us to the playoffs last year

2) Dak is 40-24 and delivered the only playoff Dallas win in 20 years.i think he is better than Goff, Tannehill and just as good as Wentz (who can’t stay healthy).  If those dudes can get paid, he should too. 

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They had a down year last year, no doubt. That would be fine if Dak played one season as a starter. He's played 4

I see it in the opposite light. In his 4th year as a starter with the best supporting cast of his career he couldn't manage the 1 extra win it would have taken to make it to the playoffs. Again, they didn't lose 8 games in horrific blowouts, and no one thinks his offensive cast was anything less than stellar. They had poor coaching and an average defense. But I showed you 5 games that were winnable. Any one of those games would have gotten them in the playoffs if he had made a few more plays. At some point the QB looking for over $35 million per year has to be accountable to the result of the season.

You're right that finding a QB better than Dak is far easier said than done and I'm not saying they should show him the door. I think they should gave him a shorter extension like he's looking for and see if he rises to the occasion with a new coaching staff. If he plays well and they end up paying him more in the long run no one in Dallas would complain.

Edited by HappyDays

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I see it in the opposite light. In his 4th year as a starter with the best supporting cast of his career he couldn't manage the 1 extra win it would have taken to make it to the playoffs. Again, they didn't lose 8 games in horrific blowouts, and no one thinks his offensive cast was anything less than stellar. They had poor coaching and an average defense. But I showed you 5 games that were winnable. Any one of those games would have gotten them in the playoffs if he had made a few more plays. At some point the QB looking for over $35 million per year has to be accountable to the result of the season.

You're right that finding a QB better than Dak is far easier said than done and I'm not saying they should show him the door. I think they should gave him a shorter extension like he's looking for and see if he rises to the occasion with a new coaching staff. If he plays well and they end up paying him more in the long run no one in Dallas would complain.

I think you’re making too much out of a single season. Aaron Rodgers and the Pack were bad two years ago, changed coaches and won 13 games. 

I would argue based on Dallas’ performance last year, they didn’t have poor coaching but instead arguably the worst coaching in the league. Sean McD is a good HC but not the best. Do you think Dallas wins only 8 games last year if McD is the HC?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

What a world we live in when a twenty-something turns down 175 million dollars.

At the same time 38.6 million Americans are collecting unemployment.  Great optic, eh?

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think you’re making too much out of a single season. Aaron Rodgers and the Pack were bad two years ago, changed coaches and won 13 games. 

You're right, they changed coaches from... the guy that Dallas just hired. This is why I'm way more skeptical about Dallas this season than most people. McCarthy made it to one championship with Aaron Rodgers in his prime. Prescott is not anywhere near the level of Rodgers. That's a tough sell for me.

Rodgers was injured for half the season in 2017. You can't use that against him. 2018 was a bit of a down year for him but he has a decade of elite QB play to stand on. Give Rodgers the Cowboys offensive line, Zeke, and that receiving corps. He would drag Jason Garrett kicking and screaming deep into the playoffs. You're crazy if you want to use Rodgers as your comparison.

I don't think I'm making too much out of a single season. It's the most recent season. That's how it works when you're looking for a big extension. No one cares what you did 2 years ago in the NFL.

Your point about the coaching staff is fair but that alone doesn't excuse 5 winnable games where he couldnt get the job done. And it's not like they just hired the cream of the crop. If coaching was an excuse for Dak last year that isn't going away this year.

Edited by HappyDays

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Completely reasonable what you’re saying.  Especially now.  But most people in his position would do that same thing.  Can’t really compare pro sports to regular jobs. 

24 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Dak is insane not to accept this contract, or try to get a shorter-contract with the average annual value the same as you suggest.  If he wants to be on himself, fine.  That should work for both Dallas and Dak, IMO.  

What perfect world scenario Dak and his agent want is going to be the question going forward.

I see the facts this way.  Dallas has offered a very generous contract and no doubt these contract talks have been going on for a long time.

I'm going to surmise that this is the offer that they feel is best for their team and now the ball is in Dak's court.  Personally, I see no real

reason he should not sign the contract.  If he is foolish enough to refuse it over the last year that's his call.  He could start his 5 year deal this year

whereas many QB 4 year "extension" contracts usually start the following year.  

Dak has choices so he better make his mind up.  If he doesn't sign the offer then Cowboys will have some choices too.

1.  He can sign the offer.

2.  He can sign the tag and play this year and see what the future brings.

3.  He can sit the year out and be a UFA next year.

Time to make up your mind Dak.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely reasonable what you’re saying.  Especially now.  But most people in his position would do that same thing.  Can’t really compare pro sports to regular jobs. 

People have hard choices to make about about their careers all the time.  He's a man and has a choice.  Period. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There are legitimate reasons to question if he can take his game to that next level. If you look at his game log last year it's not like their losses were all blow outs where Dak didn't have a chance. They lost to the Saints 12-10. They lost to the Jets 24-22. Patriots 13-9. Bills 26-15. Eagles 17-9. He had opportunities to win those games and couldn't do it. Dak's average passer rating in those losses was 78.6. This is on an offense with a top 5 RB, top 10 WR, and one of the best offensive lines in football. It is not ridiculous to question if he's worth a mega extension.

That roster outscored it’s opponents by over 100 points.  That they went only 8-8 is part terrible coaching and part bad luck.  That’s the point differential of an 11-5 team.

50 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They had a down year last year, no doubt. That would be fine if Dak played one season as a starter. He's played 4.

Jason Garrett coached 9 full seasons in Dallas. He's hit double digit wins 3 times, two of them with Dak.  Dak with JG was 40-24. JG without Dak is 40-40.  JG has coached 5 playoff games, 3 of them with Dak. Dak has 14 GWD's and 8 4th Q comebacks in 4 years. Average passer rating is 97.

And most importantly, they have very little chance of acquiring a franchise QB if they lose Dak. You say their team is great around the QB.  Are they going to be in the running for Lawrence next year?  Maybe they draft a Jordan Love-type late and he reaches his peak 3 years down the road.  Then what happens with guys like Cooper who are reaching the final years of their deal? 

It's bad team building strategy to roll the dice on finding a new QB NOW. That's why rather than get rid of their stars and going into a rebuild, they fired their terrible coach and are trying to retain basically EVERYONE.  That doesn't guarantee a SB win by any means. but as you said, they have a good team RIGHT NOW.  Why would you reset it all?

Dak is worth it. Period.

I have nothing to add to this. Excellent post. FireChans won the topic.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

huh?

The Redskins are the last team to let their QB walk because they didn’t want to pay him.  Think they’d like a do over, or are they good with having used a second rounder and a starting CB to get Alex Smith and burning a 1st round pick on Haskins?

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

At the same time 38.6 million Americans are collecting unemployment.  Great optic, eh?

26 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah.  He should give that poor billionaire owner a break.

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dak is worth it. Period.

Dak is NOT worth it.  Period.  Sorry only a few QB's are worth this kind of money, and those are the QB's that can CARRY your franchise to success despite the roster.  Dak has NOT carried them to success with a loaded roster that includes one of the best OL in football protecting him, top 2 RB in the NFL, a $100M WR, and plenty of weapons to spread the ball around to go along with a pretty good defense. 

You want to argue in the modern NFL that QB's just get paid and that is just what you have to do, then fine, I wont argue with that.  But Dallas has underachieved, and not even made playoffs in Dak's best years with this talented roster.  And when I look at paying a QB this amount, I need to see the success on the field in the W/L column, especially with this roster.  Guys like Wilson, Mahomes, Brady, Brees, Rodgers...list stops there...at who has played at a level that earns this kind of a payday for me.  

If I am Dallas, I look at my options...after already over paying an over rated WR in Cooper, over paying for a RB (not based on talent, Zekes talent matches the contract, just saying in todays NFL you don't need to invest so much at the RB position and so far no team doing so has won a SB either)...to go out and over pay a QB who has consistently underachieved with a talented roster by making him the highest paid in history.  

OR...

DONT pay Dak and sign Cam Newton, former NFL MVP who took a less talented overall team to the SB and a near win in Carolina than what Dallas can field around him right now.  And Cam would cost WAY less and could probably be an even friendlier team deal.  Cam would take a discount to go start for the Cowboys, they would be a strong SB contender immediately still like they are now.  

Who is better...Dak or Cam...well health wise, Dak is more stable.  But outside of that...you can make a case for either guy as the better QB...why, because its probably negligible in terms of ranking them.  Neither could be argued to be head and shoulders above the other.  Yet you could get Cam for a LOT less financial risk.  Dak obviously has health and youth on his side, but Cam is only 32 and could still feasibly play at a high level for several more seasons and keep the Cowboys a perennial SB contender as well.  

TO BE CLEAR:  I am not ADVOCATING the Cowboys ditch Dak and sign Cam.  I am just pointing out while your point about building around a new QB now would be too risky given the level of talent on the roster is a good one...there is also a rare opportunity where a "new" QB is available that just happens to be a former MVP and SB participant who is available, healthy and only 32 that could come in and do a similar, or possibly better job than Dak has done with this team for a lot less financial risk.    

I fully expect Dak to stay in Dallas and not sign Cam...but at the end of the day, if Cowboys invest this much in Dak, they have massive contracts invested in:

• Overpaid QB who is delivering the success his contracts indicates he has.
  • Overpaid WR who is not only over paid, but over rated as he puts up a few big games a year to pad season total stats and then disappears like 70% of the other games and in big moments...not to mention, has a history of the doppsies.
  • Overpaid RB...not in terms of talent, Zeke is a beast...in terms of money allocation to this one position.  I can't think of a single team that has had a RB that was top 3 paid in the league that has won a SB in the last 10 years.  Its just not a position that you NEED to invest this amount in.  I get it, Zeke is special, but its a lot when you also have these other Dak and Cooper contracts.

This is why I am not high on the Cowboys potential as a "dynasty" in that other thread.  I think the combo of the Zeke, Cooper and eventual Dak contracts will become an issue in the not too distant future personally.  Especially if they are not regularly reaching at least the NFCC game.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1