Dallas 175 million 5 year offer to Prescott

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What I’m saying is that they don’t have “tough decisions ahead.” They managed to make them all already and are in great shape. If the Bills are able to retain their core like Dallas did we should build a statue for Beane. They’ve done EXACTLY what we hope we will be able to do in 2 or 3 years. Vander Esch is the last “must sign” guy out there and he’s still there for 2 more years assuming they exercise his option.

I know it’s fun to hate on the Cowboys but we really should be envious of the way that they navigated this. If they continue to draft as they have they will be good for a while. God willing the Bills will be able to retain: Josh, Diggs, Tre, Edmunds, Dawkins, Milano, Singletary, Oliver and whomever else develops into a young core piece. That’s basically what Dallas has been able to do over the last couple of years.

I understand your point, but if the team doesn't win then it's all for naught. That's why I say they better hope Garrett was the problem. They may not be faced with tough decisions per say, but they may definitely be facing buyer's remorse. 

46 minutes ago, Augie said:

No, the R. Wilson contract is pretty recent, and Dak can’t touch his ability. I’m not ignoring anything. I think QB is easier to replace than it was a decade ago. Kids prepare and are ready earlier. I feel you can’t cripple a team by being anchored in place with a HUGE QB contract for a slightly above average QB. 

Look, I’m a guy who would let Bruce Smith sit when he wanted a new contract, right after getting a new contract. Dalton is NOT a $30 million drop off from Dak. Field a better team, win more games.  

Wilson is the most recent contract. It is the highest QB contract in the NFL.

You can believe anything about replacing QB’s but we went 25 years without a QB. It’s not as simple as “get another guy.” Dalton is signed to a backup 1 year deal. If they let Dak go next year, and then try to retain Dalton as the starter, he will demand starter money. Is Dalton at $25M better than Dak at $30M?

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, H2o said:

I understand your point, but if the team doesn't win then it's all for naught. That's why I say they better hope Garrett was the problem. They may not be faced with tough decisions per say, but they may definitely be facing buyer's remorse. 

Maybe, but buyer’s remorse on good players is a gamble we’d all take. They’ve certainly spent but they’ve spent on quality players. It’s basically what the Saints have done for 15 years. They keep their core and build around them. They’ve only won 1 but have been good for a long time.

Personally I think Garrett was really bad. McCarthy is just okay IMO but still a big step up. In terms of the talent they had a really good offseason (although I didn’t love the Cooper contract). Additionally, they play in that garbage division. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

You can believe anything about replacing QB’s but we went 25 years without a QB. It’s not as simple as “get another guy.” Dalton is signed to a backup 1 year deal. If they let Dak go next year, and then try to retain Dalton as the starter, he will demand starter money. Is Dalton at $25M better than Dak at $30M?

Dak wants $35-45 mil, so yes, I’d take Dalton.  

You can’t compare 25 years ago to today. These kids have been doing 7 on 7’s all summer since middle school. I used to attend them in Florida. It’s amazing. They actually throw in HS and college. Different times. I’m not overpaying for a slightly above average QB like Dak and crippling the rest of my team. You feel free to be you. 

The Cowboys have a line and weapons they can’t afford to keep if they pay Dak $35-45 mil. He does not carry a team. He plays a nice role. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Put Dat Prescott's roster around Dalton and he puts up Dak numbers for a discount, so, yes.  And there won't be a "Dak at $30M".

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Put Dat Prescott's roster around Dalton and he puts up Dak numbers for a discount, so, yes.  And there won't be a "Dak at $30M".

That roster is already there. I don’t agree that Dalton at starter money is worth the downgrade, but fair enough. Especially when Dalton hasn’t thrown 30+ TD’s since 2013.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That roster is already there. I don’t agree that Dalton at starter money is worth the downgrade, but fair enough. Especially when Dalton hasn’t thrown 30+ TD’s since 2013.

Prescott has never done it.  His best statistical season was a dud---8-8.  Dalton had only AJ Green and got 25 a few years ago.  I see Dalton walking on right now and getting at least 25.  Why not?  What downgrade?

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Prescott has never done it.  His best statistical season was a dud---8-8.  Dalton had only AJ Green and got 25 a few years ago.  I see Dalton walking on right now and getting at least 25.  Why not?  What downgrade?

Prescott threw 30 last year.

Did you watch Dalton play last year? He’s on the tail end of his career. I’m not saying he has no value as a player, but honestly do you think he will be playing at a starter level 3 years from now?

And don’t even get me started on their comparisons as playoff players. Andy has thrown 1 TD to 6 INT’s in the postseason. Passer rating of 57 in the playoffs! And you say what downgrade???

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s not true but if Allen throws for almost 5,000 yards last year, completes 66% of his passes, has a career 97 td to 36 int, a 97 QBs rating, and has a win-loss record of 40-24 (overrated stat but still), we would pay him a billion dollars.  

I don’t see Dak as An all time great but he’s a good young qb.  He’s borderline top 10.  And given what he’s played for as a 4th rounder, he deserves to get a monster deal.  

Dak is a P***y.  Plays with no passion.  He is soft.  Not a leader.  Cowboys should have let him walk.  How many playoff games has he won?  He is the ESPN and Dallas Cowboys hype machine.  And nothing more.  That pass he threw on 4th and goal into the ground against us was pathetic.  

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Prescott threw 30 last year.

Did you watch Dalton play last year? He’s on the tail end of his career. I’m not saying he has no value as a player, but honestly do you think he will be playing at a starter level 3 years from now?

Never 30+.

Anyway...come on!  Did you see who Dalton was playing with last year?  He's made Tyler Boyd a 1000 yard WR!  Look at Prescott.  Great O-line, top RB, solid receivers.  Top 10 D--and he's had a single season over 23 TDs!  And he led the team to 8-8when he finally had decent output!  Dalton on this team could do that now.  I have no doubt--it's really not a high bar.

Prescott's Cowboys won 6 more games than the worst team in the NFL last year---and they play in the NFCE!  The Steelers had the same record-----and they went through 3  QBs!  

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Come on!  Did you see who Dalton was playing with last year?  He's made Tyler Boyd a 1000 yard WR!  Look at Prescott.  Great O-line, top RB, solid receivers.  Top 10 D--and he's had a single season over 23 TDs!  And he led the team to 8-8when he finally had decent output!  Dalton on this team could do that now.  I have no doubt--it's really not a high bar.

Don’t even get me started on their comparisons as playoff players. Andy has thrown 1 TD to 6 INT’s in the postseason. Passer rating of 57 in the playoffs! And you say what downgrade???

There was once a team that decided to build a really great roster around Andy Dalton to contend for Super Bowls. They were called the Bengals. They went 0fer. Dak threw more TD’s in his first playoff game than Andy has in his playoff career. Come on man!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Don’t even get me started on their comparisons as playoff players. Andy has thrown 1 TD to 6 INT’s in the postseason. Passer rating of 57 in the playoffs! And you say what downgrade???

There was once a team that decided to build a really great roster around Andy Dalton to contend for Super Bowls. They were called the Bengals. They went 0fer. Dak threw more TD’s in his first playoff game than Andy has in his playoff career. Come on man!

No wins for either of them.  See above.  How many playoff games did the Cowboys win in 2019?  Dalton could walk on and win 8 games with that roster last year.  

Dak at the money he wants is not a value play for the Cowboys.  He's proven nothing in 4 years, except that they shouldn't give him all that money for the game he brings.  They could have had that kind of output for the price of Teddy Bridgewater.  At least that kid has some heart.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No wins for either of them.  See above.  How many playoff games did the Cowboys win in 2019?  Dalton could walk on and win 8 games with that roster last year.  

Dak at the money he wants is not a value play for the Cowboys.  He's proven nothing in 4 years, except that they shouldn't give him all that money for the game he brings.  They could have had that kind of output for the price of Teddy Bridgewater.  At least that kid has some heart.

Dak has won a game in the playoffs actually. Just the year prior to last. So no.

I’m sorry, but any way you slice it, Dalton is a downgrade, especially based on his play over the last several years. If you want to argue at pricepoints he may be a better option then have at it. I disagree, because at best it’s a temporary stopgap and you’re back on the QB carousel in a year or two. But one QB is being offered upwards of $30M per year and the other took $7M. Everyone knows who is better except you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dak has won a game in the playoffs actually. Just the year prior to last. So no.

I’m sorry, but any way you slice it, Dalton is a downgrade, especially based on his play over the last several years. If you want to argue at pricepoints he may be a better option then have at it. I disagree, because at best it’s a temporary stopgap and you’re back on the QB carousel in a year or two. But one QB is being offered upwards of $30M per year and the other took $7M. Everyone knows who is better except you.

You think Dak is going to take 30 m million a year on a long term deal??   That makes one of you!  His tag is over 31 million this season.  lol

And the money doesn't make one better than the other.  Prescott is going to cost them 35 million a year to throw under 4000 and 30 TD a year for an occasion season in double digit wins.  

Better off with the stopgap and reload at QB.  Prescott is worth more in trade than wins per dollars for that team.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You think Dak is going to take 30 m million a year on a long term deal??   That makes one of you!  His tag is over 31 million this season.  lol

And the money doesn't make one better than the other.  Prescott is going to cost them 35 million a year to throw under 4000 and 30 TD a year for an occasion season in double digit wins.  

Better off with the stopgap and reload at QB.  Prescott is worth more in trade than wins per dollars for that team.

To be fair he was under 100 yards from 5,000 this year. Also to be fair, he has averaged 10 wins a season. That’s not “occasionally.” 

You may not think that he’s worth the contract that he’s about to get. You are also WAY underrating the player. Dak is a top 10ish QB that is 26 and ascending. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

To be fair he was under 100 yards from 5,000 this year. Also to be fair, he has averaged 10 wins a season. That’s not “occasionally.” 

You may not think that he’s worth the contract that he’s about to get. You are also WAY underrating the player. Dak is a top 10ish QB that is 26 and ascending. 

every other season, he has double digit wins so far.  At the zenith of his "ascension", his team went 8-8.  No one would claim it was because he was not surrounded by enough talent.

So I'm not sure how I'm underrating him.  At his best, and surrounded by a good roster, he led them nowhere. Oh wait, that was the HC's fault--the same HC who got 13 wins with the rookie Prescott.

yeah, Mike McCarthy will fix all that!

• Like (+1) 1