Murphy Out at One Bills Live - Brown and Glab to Replace

On 5/25/2020 at 7:17 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I think you are insulting the intelligence of the vast majority of women who may be listening to that radio show.  Like most of us, hearing what they hear, they can conclude that this novice is a tough listen and hasn't earned a franchise flagship radio show co-host job.  They would reasonably conclude that Pegulas didn't hire her for her experience but for her looks.

It's a bizarre choice if their goal is  to appeal to hardcore female fans listening (casual fans aren't listening to that show--especially young ones) and who likely know far more about the Bills than Glab does.  

It's a bizarre choice if they hired her for her looks. I swear some people think thin automatically equals attractive.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's a bizarre choice if they hired her for her looks. I swear some people think thin automatically equals attractive.

Watch what you say here! Maddys entire family is on this board and will rip you a new one for saying that she isn’t attractive.  

I remember when she was hired, I said that I wish she was better looking.  The pitchforks came out.    Funny that it’s ok to talk about how cute Kaye Adams is, but it’s not ok to wish that a Bills media member was attractive.  

She doesn’t know Jack about our team. She has a terrible voice. She’s not attractive.  Let’s promote her.  Sorry, not sorry 

• Like (+1) 1

Guys keep bumping this so I might as well - I’ve listened the past few days. Personally I am not a fan after listening to a couple full shows, but that doesn’t mean she’s completely unqualified for the job. 

Tasker’s not much better, btw.

Edited by JoPoy88

On 6/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, NewEra said:

Watch what you say here! Maddys entire family is on this board and will rip you a new one for saying that she isn’t attractive.  

I remember when she was hired, I said that I wish she was better looking.  The pitchforks came out.  Funny that it’s ok to talk about how cute Kaye Adams is, but it’s not ok to wish that a Bills media member was attractive.

She doesn’t know Jack about our team. She has a terrible voice. She’s not attractive.  Let’s promote her.  Sorry, not sorry 

I think both are pretty stupid and sexist things to talk about, personally. But that's the fate of every woman who works anywhere near sports. They are viewed as objects and never taken seriously.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think both are pretty stupid and sexist things to talk about, personally. But that's the fate of every woman who works anywhere near sports. They are viewed as objects and never taken seriously.

That’s fine, to each is their own. Everyone has their preferences.  I live in Vegas and have worked in the service industry for 22 years.  Cocktail waitresses aren’t called cocktail waitresses anymore.  They’re called cocktail waitress/models.  As are the bartenders.  Why?  Because everyone is sexist apparently.  In many cases, guests would prefer to look at a beautiful woman giving their drinks.  Why aren’t there cocktail waiters?  Don’t wanna see my hairy legs?  They hire beautiful woman so you get more business.  Some people obviously care.

The world is getting so sensitive where you can’t talk about anything without offending someone.  

In certain industries/occupations, the standards are different.  If you own/run a business, i feel it should be up to you who you hire to help you make money.  If I owned a bar, I would make sure I have at least 2-3 cute bartenders.  Not every bartender has to be cute, but you can bet I wouldn’t have all unattractive bartenders behind my bar.  

I prefer to listen to an analyst with a pleasant voice as opposed to a screechy voice.  Most people on TV don’t have screechy voices.  Why?  Because you have to listen to them talk. Their voice doesn’t make them better at their job per say, but it allows the listener to enjoy the content more.  Hence more listeners.  

Why would ones looks differ from their voice?  They’re on TV and looked at.  I’d rather look at Kaye Adams, than Maddy Glab.  It’s not as if Maddy has some amazing personality that I can’t wait to see what she says next.  She’s very bleh.  Her voice is bleh.  She isn’t very cute.  So I’m sexist?  

I guess that makes me a pig?  Oink oink.  My wife would rather watch Kaye Adams too.  She thinks maddys voice sucks and she isn’t very cute.  My wife is sexist too.  

• Like (+1) 1

Maddy is certainly young and still trying to find herself...she’s only a few years removed from college. I agree it’s difficult listening to her trying to become comfortable, but I can say this for her: she does her homework. 

Very few people start out as ‘professionals’. Most of us have to hone our craft and I suspect it’s no different with her. 

11 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Very few people start out as ‘professionals’. Most of us have to hone our craft and I suspect it’s no different with her. 

This circles back to my earlier point that a journalist with a 'difficult' voice to listen to probably wouldn't have made it in radio or television years ago.  However, saturate the market with broadcast portals and you'll probably see many of those lacking perfect diction and delivery still achieve employment.  Mike 'Boy' DeGeorge was roundly excoriated for his sports broadcasting years ago, he eventually went on to public service.  In Ms. Glab's case, working on a production that is a part of the PS&E brand probably means as long as Terry and Kim are pleased with her work, Maddy will stay in the role.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Maddy's the broadcaster. Maddie's the Mod with Commander Tom.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

This circles back to my earlier point that a journalist with a 'difficult' voice to listen to probably wouldn't have made it in radio or television years ago.  However, saturate the market with broadcast portals and you'll probably see many of those lacking perfect diction and delivery still achieve employment.  Mike 'Boy' DeGeorge was roundly excoriated for his sports broadcasting years ago, he eventually went on to public service.  In Ms. Glab's case, working on a production that is a part of the PS&E brand probably means as long as Terry and Kim are pleased with her work, Maddy will stay in the role.

Except radio is not what she was hired for.  She was hired to do cute little fluff pieces on multimedia for the Bills and Sabres.  

Being put on the radio - even on the current temporary basis - was a result a contract dispute between PSE and Murphy.  She and Chris Brown are both forced to temporarily fill in to cover the openings until PSE decides what it wants to do long term with that role.

I personally do not mind her voice - I like her emotions that she brings and a totally different perspective.  I can totally understand why some people do not like her voice and do not want to listen.  

The difficult thing for me is that it is obvious that particular role is a bit over her head at the present time, but she is just doing what she can to fill in.  Now I would be less likely to cut her any slack if that was a role she had applied for and was hired into, but I relate to her having to step up and go well above her pay grade due to circumstances.

We will see down the road how PSE decides to fill this slot long term.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Her voice though. It’s not a voice for radio. It just doesn’t sound pleasing to my ears. 

To me its a combination of her voice and her 'youthfulness' For example, the words she uses, the fact after Tasker gets an answer correct when she ask him a question and she replies with "ding ding ding ding ding!" to show he is correct.....she comes across more like she would fit on a goofy morning show than on a sports show.

I don't need her to be a total robot...but with her voice I wish she would slightly tone down her exuberence.

What "homework" has she done?  She mostly agrees with Tasker's last comment and when interviewing guests, she struggles past her 2nd or 3rd question to find something that hasn't already been answered or is not a rote question/softball.

And, do I have to mention this?--in radio, there is only the voice.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just tuned in for 3 minutes. 

It was Chris Brown talking to Steve Tasker about the running back position. 

And like we all have noted, it was the most generic, coach-speak that Brown has memorized over the years. Things said:

1. Running back is one of the more easy positions to come in and make an impact

2. Locker room leadership of Pat DiMarco is valuable, he is a sounding board for Josh Allen

3. Gore was forced to "carry the load" when Singletary was out (the Bills chose to not give Yeldon the ball)

4. Moss' style is to "wear-down" the defense, getting stronger throughout the game

Chris Brown is a football-cliche generator. Pull the lever and out comes a Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan, Sean McDermott cliche. 

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Chris Brown is a football-cliche generator. Pull the lever and out comes a Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan, Sean McDermott cliche. 

Well, there's an idea for tomorrow's show:

"Which coach said this:________________?"

EDIT:  Oh, yeah...'ding ding ding ding ding!'

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Ding times 5. ?

On 5/23/2020 at 4:41 PM, JoPoy88 said:

yeah, you say she’s “awful” and everything wrong with women in sports and basically say she only got the job because of her gender and because she’s cute......but you meant no offense. Makes a lot of sense.

she’s infinitely more qualified to talk about sports than you chief.

Not sure that's true.. She's most likely infinitely more qualified to talk on the radio than that poster. To talk sports, and Bills in particular... ehhhh...

• Like (+1) 1

I have tuned in about 4-5 different times since this announcement.  Each time its Tasker and Brown talking with Glab nowhere to be seen.  Basically the same value as when Murphy was on.  Very little.  Topic of the day.  Debate topic.  Covid-19 off-football convo.  Tweet sheet.  Twitter poll, etc.  Just the same formula.

IMO, Murphy should never have been doing this daily show.  He is not good engaging callers.  He isnt good with an open forum type of show that masquerades as a football opinion show.  

They should have had him do the show every Wednesday in the place of One Bills Live or something and call it 'this week in Bills football' or something like that.  Basically a pre-recorded, well produced show with a lot of fluff interviews with Bills players (Murphy is good at that), taped interviews with people from around the league, league report, team reports, Bills news, Bills history features, etc.  Just keep it straight-forward and controlled.  When Murphy was doing the afternoon show it was kind of a lot of this, and it was fantastic at times.  Limited to 1x a week, it would be fantastic.  Stretched over 5 shows/week mixed in with angry callers wasnt great.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2