Murphy Out at One Bills Live - Brown and Glab to Replace

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Being that football, to include the Bills already have as much of the male demographic as their ever going to get, this “bizarre” choice is not even remotely bizarre.

The only direction left for demographic/money gain is with women, and guys like Murphy aren’t a draw, women want to see women in these positions.  PSE made a correct hire for what they are trying to gain, most men are oblivious to what women want, and this threads responses by and large show as much.

MG is frankly perfect for their intentions to get more young ish women into the sport, thusly spending their dollars on the Bills, it really is that simple. 

Go Bills!!!

I think you are insulting the intelligence of the vast majority of women who may be listening to that radio show.  Like most of us, hearing what they hear, they can conclude that this novice is a tough listen and hasn't earned a franchise flagship radio show co-host job.  They would reasonably conclude that Pegulas didn't hire her for her experience but for her looks.

It's a bizarre choice if their goal is  to appeal to hardcore female fans listening (casual fans aren't listening to that show--especially young ones) and who likely know far more about the Bills than Glab does.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Glab’s voice is really, really annoying.  Sounds like a cat torturing contest.

Yeah It’s going to be very difficult to listen to. Probably quit listening now. Was hoping for a better selection. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think you are insulting the intelligence of the vast majority of women who may be listening to that radio show.  Like most of us, hearing what they hear, they can conclude that this novice is a tough listen and hasn't earned a franchise flagship radio show co-host job.  They would reasonably conclude that Pegulas didn't hire her for her experience but for her looks.

It's a bizarre choice if their goal is  to appeal to hardcore female fans listening (casual fans aren't listening to that show--especially young ones) and who likely know far more about the Bills than Glab does.  

They are not going after hard core women fans, they already have those, they are going after the more normal fan that is female. They are attempting to grow the fan base, and that is done by capturing the casual women fan. Being that they already achieved that in the male demographic. 

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

They are not going after hard core women fans, they already have those, they are going after the more normal fan that is female. They are attempting to grow the fan base, and that is done by capturing the casual women fan. Being that they already achieved that in the male demographic. 

Casual fans aren’t listening to that radio show.  Not even “casual woman fans” or the “more normal fan that is female”.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Casual fans aren’t listening to that radio show.  Not even “casual woman fans” or the “more normal fan that is female”.

Its a slow process WEO, and casual fans actually do listen to these sort of shows, not religiously like football nerds do, but they do. I think the hard core football nerds are a bit out of touch with the regular football fan that looks at games as another reason to hang out with friends, and check it out. Its a fashion thing for many. Remember the majority of people who call themselves fans rarely go to the stadium to watch a game. 

Edited by Don Otreply

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Okay, we disagree. 

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Its a slow process WEO, and casual fans actually do listen to these sort of shows, not religiously like football nerds do, but they do. I think the hard core football nerds are a bit out of touch with the regular football fan that looks at games as another reason to hang out with friends, and check it out. Its a fashion thing for many. Remember the majority of people who call themselves fans rarely go to the stadium to watch a game. 

I disagree that fans who watch games...just to hang out are ever listening to OBD.  They would have no reason or interest.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I disagree that fans who watch games...just to hang out are ever listening to OBD.  They would have no reason or interest.

Word of mouth, “ hey they got a female show host over on that Bills site, check it out” ... 

We disagree, and that’s fine. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Word of mouth, “ hey they got a female show host over on that Bills site, check it out” ... 

We disagree, and that’s fine. 

“checked it out.  Changed channel in minutes.  Wtf IS that??”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/23/2020 at 10:19 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

In what world is she cute?

Of course Maddy is no Kay Adams, but hey what can we realistically expect from a local homer show?

I like her and it's perfectly fine if some folks don't agree. To each, their own.

GO BILLS

On 5/22/2020 at 6:28 PM, LeGOATski said:

Really?

Give Murph highlights, a skirt, and heels and I'm sure he looks great, too...

I don't think "foxy" is too far of a stretch.

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So shrill. A shame. Sal and Brown would have been a perfect combo.

Only two legitimate talents in the Bills Beat imo

Erik Turner at Cover 1 is ridiculously smart and puts in the work but haven’t seen/heard him in a radio setting 

On 5/24/2020 at 6:35 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There seemed a time when sports news was five minutes on the television and radio broadcasts, and a vast majority of these broadcasters had prewritten copy, and good voices.  Now we have a saturation of media sources, endless hours of programming (hours to fill when 5 minutes would cover the story adequately), well educated hosts who haven't always a polished voice or delivery, and often an interactive fan base that skews discussions off topic.  'One Bills Live' not to your liking?  Try listening to that two hours of 'Da Insdigadors' beforehand.  Oy!  'One Bills Live' works well when a segment is interesting with a guest; when it relies on callers or staff chatting it is mostly a train wreck.  'Too much of a good thing' is not necessarily better.  John Murphy's 'One on One Sports' on WBEN years ago was generally interesting, it covered a variety of topics.  Twenty years later, three hours of very directed subject matter that toes the company line is not nearly as enlightening.

This is a good point. 

I think across the board now the voices in sports are getting tired because these people have been in the same positions for 20+ years now. 

For instance, Dan Patrick. Every day it's the same cadence to his show, "yeah Pauly", "yeah Fritzy", "yeah McLovin" as point by point is dribbled out to the audience.  

I've tuned into Colin since he joined ESPN in 2004, but his sports opinions are the same: two cities in America matter: LA and Miami, and fill in with Brady/LeBron/Tiger/Cowboys/Westbrook and John Wall bashing. 

We turned on the TV yesterday morning and Get Up! was on ESPN. They had Kendrick Perkins and Mike Greenberg breaking down sports "GOATs" - guys do you have anything else to talk about? 

What irritates me locally is Howard Simon talking about how he's never had peanut butter, or a strawberry, or how out of shape he is and how he isn't going to exercise. I feel like he wakes up, doesn't shower or brush his teeth, and just does the show with no preparation. 

During this pandemic, Bulldog has been theatrical about how much danger he's in, and he acts like it's become his right to do the show from his house going forward. Like Simon, trending towards the laziest version of the show we can put together.  

I like Schopp and Jeremy White because they push the topics on the show. Without them you are talking about Owen's hockey practice, or sitting around the house. Now Schopp does get off topic - talking about Tootsie, his Fantasy Football, obsession with old games on Youtube, but without him, you get no critical thinking on local teams, no statistical references to standards in modern sports. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They had Kendrick Perkins and Mike Greenberg breaking down sports "GOATs" - guys do you have anything else to talk about?

Uh, not exactly.

Also :lol: at the idea that Schopp is involved in anything resembling critical thinking.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Uh, not exactly.

Also :lol: at the idea that Schopp is involved in anything resembling critical thinking.

?

Schopp brings up Corsi puck possession statistics, he was on the Bills reliance on physical run game and special teams/defense as the rest of the league ditched 3 yards and a cloud of dust, he challenges the notion of locker room chemistry and work ethic as meaningful differentiators from team to team, he challenged the Bills thought process on tearing down the roster, trading away say a CB, then drafting a replacement in Round One.

He is more more attuned to changes in how sports organizations make decisions than Bulldog is.  He drives the show. Bulldog is not going to bring any original thought. He sits back and reacts to what is said around him. As others have noted in this thread, Bulldog hosting when Schopp is off is a chore to listen to. 

• Like (+1) 1

Listening to the beginning of the show today, Tasker remarked that it was Ms. Glab's birthday recently.  Not missing a beat (or her critics' remarks), she mentioned it was great to have celebrated her 16th birthday.  The girl at least has a sense of humour, and probably reads TBD-TSW.  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Listened today as I usually do and thought she is fine and did well. Doesn’t bother me at all. She will get better and better. Either way I enjoy listening to the show as well as the morning show. It’s good to hear hometown sports living here in Orlando!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2020 at 2:33 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

?

Schopp brings up Corsi puck possession statistics, he was on the Bills reliance on physical run game and special teams/defense as the rest of the league ditched 3 yards and a cloud of dust, he challenges the notion of locker room chemistry and work ethic as meaningful differentiators from team to team, he challenged the Bills thought process on tearing down the roster, trading away say a CB, then drafting a replacement in Round One.

He is more more attuned to changes in how sports organizations make decisions than Bulldog is.  He drives the show. Bulldog is not going to bring any original thought. He sits back and reacts to what is said around him. As others have noted in this thread, Bulldog hosting when Schopp is off is a chore to listen to. 

Easy solution.  Get Sirius, and listen to MTC in the afternoon, vs. those two buffoons.  I haven’t listened to the WGR afternoon show in years.  As far as OBD, I definitely would have preferred Sal and Brown, or alternating Sal and Tasker.  I heard Tasker today, and not sexist, but just don’t get the appeal of Glab.  She’s good for those fluff pieces on football trivia, but just not good as a host.

Just to make a point on the feminist thing, if anyone has listened to Mary Kay Cabot who reports on Cleveland, she is excellent on interviews with NFLR.  She knows, really knows what she is talking about with her team like Sal for us, or even Vic who hosts a weekend show on NFLR, and is dry, but quite good.

• Like (+1) 1