Murphy Out at One Bills Live - Brown and Glab to Replace

25 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I like Brown also.

Glab I won't call useless. I don't mind her thoughts and I think she is good at her job....just her voice..it is hard to listen to.  I KNOW that isn't 'politically correct' to say, but honestly after hearing her for more than 5 or 10 minutes I turn the channel, usually to 590 out of Toronto. Its not what she says..or that she is  woman...just her voice is hard for me to listen to.

I guess for me it's that she doesn't have much experience with pro football or the Bills. She seems to know a little about college ball. She does research beforehand, but you can tell that's the extent of her knowledge. She pulls a few stats and talking points but doesn't have the ability to go off the cuff and really dig in to football topics. I don't care about her voice that much.

Of course, Murphy didn't know X's and O's, but he had like 50 years of pro football and Buffalo Bills experience, so he could lean on historical knowledge and bring up old games and players. Plus he worked with the Bills so long he knew a lot of the players, coaches, and front office personel on a first name basis. He had a ton of connections and could get great guests on the show.

Brown knows the X's and O's better than Murphy and also has a lot of experience with the Bills and has years of inside knowledge of players, coaches, etc. He also does his homework and pays attention to the other teams throughout the league. He looks at analytics. I also enjoy his random rants. So I think he'll do a good job.

Tasker is just kind of the puppy dog that says and does strange things, but he has inside knowledge of the 90's Bills and broadcasting experience so he can bring some insights sometimes. Just don't know what Glab brings to the table. It will take her years to get up to par.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you don't expect OBL to be anything other than a media arm of a pro sports organization, then it is just fine with Murph and whoever. It will never have direct, overt criticism of the team, but then, we don't get that anyway because reporters are afraid of losing sources/guests. (We don't handle it well anyway - see Sully and Sal Maiorana) I'll take it at face value that Murph was wanting more free time. Brown will be fire, and I'll give Glab a shot. She's so new it's hard to know what she will become. Tasker's thing has been getting old. He really doesn't do prep very much. He relies on that '90s connection, which means little to today's team or game. Props to him for day gone by, but it's time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

I think you are mistaken. There are a few loud posters who don't like Brown (the same ones who never listen to the show anyways because they think it is propaganda) but most DO like him.

He does his homework and knows the team in and out. He is fairly knowledgeable about other teams in the NFL. His takes on players and coaches are generally sound, unlike Murphy sometimes or especially Tasker. He pays attention at practices and events and reports good insight.

He is a homer and focuses on the positives, but I'm not going to fault someone for liking the Bills and not focusing on the negatives. There are PLENTY of radio shows that bash the Bills and ignore the good things about them.

And I don't know what this obsession is with asking "hard ball" questions in press conferences, like it should be a journalist's job to anger and trip up those who they are interviewing. This is football, not politics. It's entertainment. Coaches are so guarded I don't really think it matters what they are asked.

we’ll have to agree to disagree.  I don’t enjoy listening to Chris Brown and won’t be tuning into One Bills Live.

As I explained, I don’t feel he offers enough and I don’t care for his delivery.  He’s just not interesting.  Also with some many nuanced NFL topics, it’s annoying to hear someone so heavily biased.  Keep in mind, in the past he sung the praises of moves like hiring Dick Jauron or drafting CJ Spiller.  

Also fans want reporters to ask the questions they want to know - not about the Bills defensive line rotation.  

So much for “the best locally”

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

we’ll have to agree to disagree.  I don’t enjoy listening to Chris Brown and won’t be tuning into One Bills Live.

As I explained, I don’t feel he offers enough and I don’t care for his delivery.  He’s just not interesting.  Also with some many nuanced NFL topics, it’s annoying to hear someone so heavily biased.  Keep in mind, in the past he sung the praises of moves like hiring Dick Jauron or drafting CJ Spiller.  

Also fans want reporters to ask the questions they want to know - not about the Bills defensive line rotation.  

So much for “the best locally”

As usual, your input is ridiculous. Take your meds.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I live out of town and enjoy listening to the OBL podcast to get updates on the Bills.   I'll never complain about too much Bills talk.   But if I'm running a radio station, there's no way I keep that as 52 weeks a year 3 hours a day show.   It gets stale and boring.   They need to be more flexible to talk about the hot topics of day.   I don't see Chris Brown and certainly not Maddy Glab as much of an upgrade.   Listening to Maddy Glab everyday will get old fast.

Murph and Tasker are OK, but they offer little  intrigue or unique perspective.   That show is way better when there is a guest on.    I agree with some with some that Murphy was better when he was younger.   Trying to find the silver lining in all those losing years from the Bills has taken a toll.   Still miss Van Miller   There was a truly excellent play by play guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

They should give Sal C. More time on the air. I think he’s excellent. Knowledgeable without the air of superiority. I couldn’t take listening to Tasker and Murphy anymore. I never liked the tangents schopp and whatever his name is went off on but actually have liked them lately 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

I live out of town and enjoy listening to the OBL podcast to get updates on the Bills.   I'll never complain about too much Bills talk.   But if I'm running a radio station, there's no way I keep that as 52 weeks a year 3 hours a day show.   It gets stale and boring.   They need to be more flexible to talk about the hot topics of day.   I don't see Chris Brown and certainly not Maddy Glab as much of an upgrade.   Listening to Maddy Glab everyday will get old fast.

Murph and Tasker are OK, but they offer little  intrigue or unique perspective.   That show is way better when there is a guest on.    I agree with some with some that Murphy was better when he was younger.   Trying to find the silver lining in all those losing years from the Bills has taken a toll.   Still miss Van Miller   There was a truly excellent play by play guy. 

We are in a year that there is nothing to talk about. They spent the first 15 minutes talking about the weather.  That all said, I enjoy the show because they actually like the Bills and have real good guests on.

5 hours ago, Chas56 said:

If you don't expect OBL to be anything other than a media arm of a pro sports organization, then it is just fine with Murph and whoever. It will never have direct, overt criticism of the team, but then, we don't get that anyway because reporters are afraid of losing sources/guests. (We don't handle it well anyway - see Sully and Sal Maiorana) I'll take it at face value that Murph was wanting more free time. Brown will be fire, and I'll give Glab a shot. She's so new it's hard to know what she will become. Tasker's thing has been getting old. He really doesn't do prep very much. He relies on that '90s connection, which means little to today's team or game. Props to him for day gone by, but it's time to move on.

How about something in the middle of this state sponsored radio - and total aholes Sully and Sal M?  

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

What meds?   

Calling Chris Brown “the best” is more ridiculous than anything I ever wrote

You obviously have no idea what is accurate and what is ridiculous. Have you even bothered to read the other posts in this thread and all others you ‘contribute’ to that counter your bizarre takes? Seen and comprehend the emojis implying the same? You haven’t made a single post that ISN’T ridiculous since you changed your screen name yet again.

Make an appointment with your doctor tomorrow. If you’re not on meds, therein lies the problem.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You obviously have no idea what is accurate and what is ridiculous. Have you even bothered to read the other posts in this thread and all others you ‘contribute’ to that counter your bizarre takes? Seen and comprehend the emojis implying the same? You haven’t made a single post that ISN’T ridiculous since you changed your screen name yet again.

Make an appointment with your doctor tomorrow. If you’re not on meds, therein lies the problem.

So because you disagree with my opinion that Chris Brown isn’t a good choice to replace John Murphy, you’re now resorting to personal insults? 

Wow.

10 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

They should give Sal C. More time on the air. I think he’s excellent. Knowledgeable without the air of superiority. I couldn’t take listening to Tasker and Murphy anymore. I never liked the tangents schopp and whatever his name is went off on but actually have liked them lately 

If I am not mistaken, Sal is a WGR employee...Murphy, Tasker, Glabb and Brown work for Pegula Entertainment.  That is not to say that GR guys can't fill in on OBL...but I am pretty sure (I may be wrong) when Sal, or one of the other GR guys hosts the show, on occasion, they are by themselves, or with another GR personality.  When one of the regular OBL hosts are off (Murhpy, Tasker, Brown or Glabb), it will be one of the other Pegula Entertainment people co-hosting with another from that group.  If Sal is hosting the show, it will be on at the same time as OBL, but he is merely doing a GR show, because OBL will not be on the air. It isn't technically One Bills Live, just Sal (or another GR guy) broadcasting at the time that OBL would normally be broadcasting, talking about the Bills.  I really think this move with Murphy is a Pegula Entertainment belt tightening move.  So, when Murph didn't renew his contract, the only possible replacements are Brown or Glabb, the other Pegula media employees. I don' think you will ever hear Sal and Tasker together, doing an entire show.

Edited by Buftex

Not that I like Murphy in this role but this is just a money saving thing.  Brown and Glab are already on the payroll and its a good opportunity for them but I have no expectations this will turn into some ridiculous awesome show.  I'm surprised Tasker remains....maybe his contract is not up  yet.

I would be happy if almost any of the other WGR radio hosts were leaving, but I like Murph.

They could dump the entire line-up except Sal and Murph and I would be fine.

IMO, the young guys that do weekends are not good, to my ears they're just trying to be Schopp clones.  

I would have let John do whatever he wanted with the off-season to keep him on the show during the season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

CB is ok, but Mattie encompasses everything wrong with women in sports. She’s just awful. She has the job only because they (Kim) wants a woman for the sake of diversity and Matties cute. But that’s all she’s got. 

This will probably be awful and will kill any interest I have in the show. 

• Like (+1) 2