Murphy Out at One Bills Live - Brown and Glab to Replace

5 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Sounds like it was mutual, but he mentioned wanting to have more time with his family, including his grandson.  

John is a straight up great guy.  Three hours of live TV a day is HARD.  I would have done exactly the same thing if I was him.  Kind of sounds like PSE lowballed him or dragged its feet, and he said eff this and is going to hang with the little guy.   Good for him.  

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

So we won’t hear John breathing into the mic when other people are talking for the entire show anymore. 

He is one guy that I’ve never heard a nice thing about. I’ve crossed paths with him a few times in east aurora.  He plowed into me while walking backwards shortly after I had back surgery and got mad at me as I’m on the ground in pain. The guy he was with stopped and apologized for him as John is rushing away. 

His stat guy worked with my mom and he was like hey come over and meet John Murphy. John huffs and says I’m not Fing talking to them.

Friend worked for delaware north at stadium and served him often. He said he wanted to throw his food in his face everyday because he’s such a POS. Talks down to everyone, has an attitude, thinks he’s better than everyone. Said everyone in the building hates him. 

My experience with him is the polar opposite.   Smart, kind, and just a great guy.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

John is a straight up great guy.  Three hours of live TV a day is HARD.  I would have done exactly the same thing if I was him.  Kind of sounds like PSE lowballed him or dragged its feet, and he said eff this and is going to hang with the little guy.   Good for him.  

My experience with him is the polar opposite.   Smart, kind, and just a great guy.  

You’re one of the few 

John and Steve, really never seemed prepared to defend their opinions on the show. Who am i kidding, even when they delivered the news, they didnt even seem like they understood what they were talking about. 

Chris brown, does his home work, and seems well prepared and researched for when he talks. Im happy, and hopeful maddy glab will get better.

As an out-of-towner, I actually listen to the show quite a bit, to feel connected and to hear discussion of our Bills. To be honest, yes, Murph and Tasker are not the greatest talk show hosts. Task often changes his opinions in mid-ramble and Murph often doesn't understand caller's points and isn't always polite to guests. But, I will miss Murphy's knowledge of team history, going back to the old Rock pile/AFL days, and not only do I like when Tasker talks about the 90s teams and his career, but I have a feeling that he (along with money from PSE) really helped to bring on some of the higher profile guests over the last couple of years (with his respect as a former player and his connections from all the years at CBS). Plus, what Bills fan doesn't just love Tasker regardless? So, it will be sad to see them go for those reasons. And even if they weren't the best, they are part of the family. They did bring something to the table, even if they weren't the most entertaining or knowledgeable hosts. I still enjoyed listening to them.

As to Brown and Glab, I think some of you are being much too harsh. Yes, Brown works for the team, so he will never be overly negative about the organization. But, first of all, there are plenty of other places to get negative news about the team. And secondly, Brown's position, basically being embedded with the team for the last decade plus, often gives him a much deeper perspective about the team than a regular reporter from the outside can give. Brown knows this team inside and out and he knows football. On his appearances on the show, he would get into much more depth about play calling, personnel, etc. than Murphy or Tasker ever would. I don't always agree with every take he has about particular players or whatever, but the guy knows his stuff. And he has strong, sometimes negative opinions that he shares on players or coaching or whatever, he just won't be the one to say break a Bills scandal or talk about that in a negative light maybe. Also, don't listen to a show paid for by the team if you don't want a generally positive outlook on the team.

And I'm wondering how many of you have actually listened to one of the shows where Maddy filled in as host (rather than just hearing one of the more fluff pieces that they would bring her in for). She may not have a full grasp of Buffalo Bills history yet (as some derailed her for), but she is only 27 and probably never gave the Bills a second thought before she was hired like a year ago. So, give her some time to get up to speed. She is learning. But, she is actually very knowledgeable about football. She's not just "a pretty face" as they say. She worked as a reporter and video producer for the University of Missouri, Stanford, and the University of Tennessee football, was an athlete herself (softball), and was an SEC reporter before coming to Buffalo. And on the One Bills Live shows that she has hosted, she actually impressed guys like Greg Cosell with her football knowledge/questions. Yes, her voice takes some getting used to, no doubt. But just because she is a young woman, don't automatically assume that she doesn't know what she is talking about when it comes to football or the current players on the team or in the league.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have been down if they had hired from outside the organization, but I just don't think Brown or Glab are as bad as you guys are making them out to be.

And before you ask, no, I do not work for the Bills or PSE, and I am not related to anyone discussed above. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I remember the first day that I found out there was going to be a daily show, exclusively about the bills. As a way out of town die hard, I was so excited....that show is legitimately terrible. Got to get Murphy out. It’s so boring. This is probably good news. Should go Sal and Chris Brown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I am not a Tasker lover in this role...he needs to be tested for concussion history at times

But Murph....love him...his passion shows...He is Buffalo

Passion, style???

Van Miller, there was none better.  Murph is following along...

Bring back Artie Baby

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

It's the right time for Murph to leave the day-to-day grind.    IMO, his heart hasn't been in it in recent years.    Like most older guys, it gets harder and harder to be motivated and not just phone it in (i.e., Vic Carucci, Peter King, Chris Berman, me, myself and I, etc).

Back in the day, One-On-One Sports was the gold standard of radio sports talk.   It's a shame that younger fans never got to hear Murph when he brought his "A" Game--which was every bit as good as any national host--every night.   Those were special times that I'll always remember fondly...

For me, the gold standard was the Felser/Murphy radio show on Monday nights ... “Monday Night Quarterback” I think it was called 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, folz said:

And I'm wondering how many of you have actually listened to one of the shows where Maddy filled in as host (rather than just hearing one of the more fluff pieces that they would bring her in for). She may not have a full grasp of Buffalo Bills history yet (as some derailed her for), but she is only 27 and probably never gave the Bills a second thought before she was hired like a year ago. So, give her some time to get up to speed. She is learning. But, she is actually very knowledgeable about football. She's not just "a pretty face" as they say. She worked as a reporter and video producer for the University of Missouri, Stanford, and the University of Tennessee football, was an athlete herself (softball), and was an SEC reporter before coming to Buffalo. And on the One Bills Live shows that she has hosted, she actually impressed guys like Greg Cosell with her football knowledge/questions. Yes, her voice takes some getting used to, no doubt. But just because she is a young woman, don't automatically assume that she doesn't know what she is talking about when it comes to football or the current players on the team or in the league.

I'm willing to be that's how nearly everyone has formed their opinion on her.  I certainly did.  It's not simply her voice (her face is immaterial; it's radio).  She adds nothing.  She's not prepared to offer an opinion (which is really all this type of sports talk radio is about) on anything other than as an echo of what someone else just said, tacking on an enthusiastic "I know..RIGHT?!" and "oh definitely".  If this was some young bro they brought up from the video production team at Missouri or Tennessee and he went on like that,  listeners would be uniform inn their response: "what is this guy doing on this show??".

It's s very tough listen.  How much would it cost the Pegulas to hire Sara Spain for a few days a week to run that show for them?

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, FluffHead said:

They really can’t find anyone else to do this job?  Murphy, Tasker, Glab, Donald Jones a few years back....all seriously terrible. The WGR guys are all so much better 

My guess is that this is a financially motivated move by the Pegulas.  As we all know, they are having some financial issues. Unless I am wrong, Murphy is a Buffalo Bills employee, not a GR employee...as are Chris Brown and Maddy Glab.  You have two Pegula media employees who have very little to do right now.  I am not sure how much Murphy makes doing that radio show, but they give him a pay cut, and give Glab and Brown something to do to earn their money.  I also think, at the same time, Murphy wasn't objecting.  I always thought they could cut the show to 2 hours, especially in the off-season...maybe go to three hours from August through January.

Personally, while I have always wanted that show to be a little more exciting, I think Murphy and Tasker have improved a lot.  I love the BIlls as much as anyone, but I don't think I could spend 15 hours a week, year round, talking about the Bills.  I get the feeling that a lot of the people criticizing the show, and its' hosts, are basing their opinions on long held opinions of the two hosts. Tasker is actually pretty insightful at times.  I don't think he is as out of touch with the game as some claim.  He just isn't an overly eloquent speaker. So it can be awkward...but he has some good insight. And, I think he just seems like a good guy.  

Sometimes there just isn't a lot to say.  My biggest gripe about the show is that it does appear, at times, neither Murphy or Tasker have a very well formed opinion on some of their topics. As a result, it almost seems like they flip a coin on who takes what stance on the topic, and then they argue (not always convincingly) the different positions.  It is sports talk radio formula sometimes.   They were wise to make it more of an NFL show, with a Bills slant, as opposed to just a Bills show.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I still really like Murph and over the last few years I've gotten many hours of enjoyment listening to the show while taking my walks. I'm even pretty fond of Tasker, though I admit his sentences often change direction in pretty perplexing ways.

Brown often has good insight, so I enjoy him in short bursts. I'm a little skeptical about listening to him for three hours at a time, though. Guess we'll see.

This. I don't listen a ton, but when I do I like them both. 

I wonder if this helps the Pegulas cut costs a bit. IMO Brown isn't going to be earning as much as Murph.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Yes!! And no.

i liked Murphy but he could be a homer, glad he is doing the games and  he can do more of the retirement life, im happy for him.

Chris Brown rocks he is always excellent on the show and calls it like it is.

Maddy isnt bad she's just not great (yet) . Really would have preferred Sal, him and Brown who know their football would have put the show over the top.

im assuming Tasker got canned as well.

Now they just need to get rid of Dopp and Lapdog .

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian