Murphy Out at One Bills Live - Brown and Glab to Replace

Murphy and Tasker were hard to listen to but feel bad for Murphy.  He is very passionate about the bills and gotta be a big disappointment for him.  Only way I can see him wanting to leave if it was a health issue. Brown is awesome as adds insight but wonder if he will be pulled away from practices and not know as much now.  Glab is ok, adds youth.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Murphy and Tasker were hard to listen to but feel bad for Murphy.  He is very passionate about the bills and gotta be a big disappointment for him.  Only way I can see him wanting to leave if it was a health issue. Brown is awesome as adds insight but wonder if he will be pulled away from practices and not know as much now.  Glab is ok, adds youth.

Sounds like it was mutual, but he mentioned wanting to have more time with his family, including his grandson.  

• Like (+1) 1

I know that he has his distractors on this board, but I always like John Murphy and am very sad to see him go.

The last season or two with Tasker has been brutal though. 

Chris Brown?  No thanks.

Although he can provide good info, I find that he projects this "know it all" attitude that is hard for me to swallow. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Only way I can see him wanting to leave if it was a health issue. 

It's the right time for Murph to leave the day-to-day grind.    IMO, his heart hasn't been in it in recent years.    Like most older guys, it gets harder and harder to be motivated and not just phone it in (i.e., Vic Carucci, Peter King, Chris Berman, me, myself and I, etc).

Back in the day, One-On-One Sports was the gold standard of radio sports talk.   It's a shame that younger fans never got to hear Murph when he brought his "A" Game--which was every bit as good as any national host--every night.   Those were special times that I'll always remember fondly...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

It's the right time for Murph to leave the day-to-day grind.    IMO, his heart hasn't been in it in recent years.    Like most older guys, it gets harder and harder to be motivated and not just phone it in (i.e., Vic Carucci, Peter King, Chris Berman, etc).

Back in the day, One-On-One Sports was the gold standard of radio sports talk.   It's a shame that younger fans never got to hear Murph when he brought his "A" Game--which was every bit as good as any national host--every night.   Those were special times that I'll always remember fondly...

I don’t usually listen to the radio feed, but when I do I get the impression that he still does a pretty damn good job with the play-by-play

I guess I'm in the minority, but I still really like Murph and over the last few years I've gotten many hours of enjoyment listening to the show while taking my walks. I'm even pretty fond of Tasker, though I admit his sentences often change direction in pretty perplexing ways.

Brown often has good insight, so I enjoy him in short bursts. I'm a little skeptical about listening to him for three hours at a time, though. Guess we'll see.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

People who are paid to talk about football should know about football.  Maddy Glab doesnt know football, she also has very little knowledge on Bills' history.  Unless of course you think "Dan" Beebe was one of the better Bills wideouts.

I liked Murphy and Tasker a lot.  I think it was en vogue to hate them and became a bit of a thing over time.  I'll take Murphy and his historical knowledge of the team going back to the AFL days, and Tasker with his stories about the 90's team over Brown and Glab any day of the week.

Also reading the article, its pretty obvious it wasn't mutual.  To me it sounds like Murphy wanted to take the down time of the year off completely and only work during Training Camp and the season.   "It was mutual, I guess"  "They wanted to take the show in a different direction." etc.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

I don’t usually listen to the radio feed, but when I do I get the impression that he still does a pretty damn good job with the play-by-play

He's fine on play-by-play, which he'll continue to do.   But even that's slipping as he gets older.

Radio talk was where he made his bones and no one in Buffalo has ever been better since the WBEN hay days...

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Monday nights with the hour or two of Larry Felser was always excellent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2