NFL testing helmet masks?

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Come on sheeple, pay attention to what is going on around you!  The masks are to keep the 5g poisoning inside of your respiratory system. That is why there is a right way and a wrong way to put a mask on. If it is just the same all the way through, why would they even have a "backwards or forwards". Wake up!

Also Ron Paul said stuff. AND my neighbor is an audiologist, I know its basically just a graduate degree, but she makes everybody call her doctor, so I know what I am talking about!

But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So I know what I'm talking about even more.

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Fake news... your oxygen and CO2 ratios are perfect, just keep telling your heart, lungs and brain that you won't pass out and it'll make it all better.?

Just a little point that oxygen levels can vary from 21% to 14% and most people do not pass out at the lower level.  For example, people routinely drive through Monarch Pass (11,312 feet) or go skiing at similar altitudes with little acclimatization.  Some are uncomfortable - on a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park (7,000-12,000 ft)  I requested my kid to play Jordin Sparks "No Air" frequently - but I was nowhere near passing out.

N95 respirators may alter the O2/CO2 ratio, but for a person with normal lung capacity nowhere near the point of hypoxia.

Paper procedure masks and cloth masks do not alter O2/CO2 ratios.  They do not seal well enough for that nor filter.

image.thumb.png.fa02a7c8485ed7226fa71c18c5e2a426.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't believe they would pass out, but I do believe it would interfere with their peak athletic performance, and that they would find it hella uncomfortable

The efficiency of an N95 also depends upon it making a seal.  Part of full fit testing of a HCW is to simulate job duties (bend, turn head, etc) and when that's done, a lot of masks that initially seemed reasonable in fit don't cut it.  I can not imagine an effective fit on a player undergoing the physical violence of an NFL play.

That said I think they're intending some kind of plastic shield/filter combination.  Still liable to leave players feeling breathless

Feeling breathless has to have an effect on the body at a cellular level... it is cause and effect not an imaginary issue.

Also my lumberjack beard doesn't let a N95 seal but it's good enough for everybody because they just need to see the look of a mask to feel safe and protected

1 hour ago, BillsfanAZ said:

So how does a mask that doesnt impede your breathing do anything to filter the air droplets you are expelling? 

Good question, I'll take that here.

Air isn't droplets.  It's small molecules.  The radius of CO2 is about 200 picometers and oxygen is smaller.  A picometer is one trillionth of a meter.

The size of the Sars-CoV2 virus is about 120 nanometer.  A nanometer is one billionth of a meter.   So the virus is 1000x bigger than the air molecules.

But the virus doesn't bop about the world unaccompanied.  It is studded with proteins, and proteins don't like to dry out - denatures them and renders them inactive.  So they hold tight to a coating of water molecules around them and preferably move about in little particles of water.  When we exhale, talk, speak, shout, or sing, we exhale large and small droplets, usually 1 micrometer to 100 micrometers in size.  A micrometer is one millionth of a meter.  So the water droplets that hold the virus when we exhale are 10-1,000x bigger than the virus itself.

The key is that when you breath out, water droplets stick to even a wimpy cloth mask through various mechanisms that (over)simplify as surface adherence, and most are blocked.  Getting infected is a numbers game, so if most of the virus that comes out of you gets blocked, I'm less likely to get sick.  But if I don't wear a mask and I'm shouting or singing or even talking loudly near you, the same numbers game means that some of the virus I expel may get through your wimpy unsealed mask, or hit you in the face next to the mask then you scratch your cheek and wipe sweat out of your eyes and in goes the virus.

HCW want better protection since they can't ask you to wear a mask while they're sticking a tube down your throat.  N95 respirators, properly fit, make a seal to their face and filter out 95% of particles of size 0.3 micrometers, or about 1/3 the size of the smaller virus-containing water droplets (they work better at filtering bigger and smaller particles)

But because oxygen and CO2 are 1,000x smaller than 0.3 micrometers (0.2 nm or 200 pm) they get through even an N95 respirator just fine.

Here's a good article explaining

• Like (+1) 2

Why not just make all helmets now have the plastic visors fitted on them and then you just need to add something at the bottom of the helmet

Funny i posted this on page one and then when it went to my post I see transplantbillsfan has the same suggestion :)

Edited by ILBillsfan

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good question, I'll take that here.

Air isn't droplets.  It's small molecules.  The radius of CO2 is about 200 picometers and oxygen is smaller.  A picometer is one trillionth of a meter.

The size of the Sars-CoV2 virus is about 120 nanometer.  A nanometer is one billionth of a meter.   So the virus is 1000x bigger than the air molecules.

But the virus doesn't bop about the world unaccompanied.  It is studded with proteins, and proteins don't like to dry out - denatures them and renders them inactive.  So they hold tight to a coating of water molecules around them and preferably move about in little particles of water.  When we exhale, talk, speak, shout, or sing, we exhale large and small droplets, usually 1 micrometer to 100 micrometers in size.  A micrometer is one millionth of a meter.  So the water droplets that hold the virus when we exhale are 10-1,000x bigger than the virus itself.

The key is that when you breath out, water droplets stick to even a wimpy cloth mask through various mechanisms that (over)simplify as surface adherence, and most are blocked.  Getting infected is a numbers game, so if most of the virus that comes out of you gets blocked, I'm less likely to get sick.  But if I don't wear a mask and I'm shouting or singing or even talking loudly near you, the same numbers game means that some of the virus I expel may get through your wimpy unsealed mask, or hit you in the face next to the mask then you scratch your cheek and wipe sweat out of your eyes and in goes the virus.

HCW want better protection since they can't ask you to wear a mask while they're sticking a tube down your throat.  N95 respirators, properly fit, make a seal to their face and filter out 95% of particles of size 0.3 micrometers, or about 1/3 the size of the smaller virus-containing water droplets (they work better at filtering bigger and smaller particles)

But because oxygen and CO2 are 1,000x smaller than 0.3 micrometers (0.2 nm or 200 pm) they get through even an N95 respirator just fine.

Here's a good article explaining

Following my own post because this is great stuff for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

@shoshin just posted the best video I’ve seen explaining how masks work in the Facts only thread, using fluid dynamics 

It’s awesome, go watch if you haven’t seen it, and share widely with your skeptic friends.

I know this conversation moved on, I can’t get over JJ Watt. He won’t wear a mask because he couldn’t breath with a VISOR on his helmet. He’s just blatantly lying. Wearing giant sunglasses on his helmet in now way effected his air supply. I wish he would have just said he thinks masks are stupid and he’ll sit out because of it.  At least he would have honestly taken a side for everybody to see. Instead he’s just gaslighting.

It has actually been bothering me for two days now. I guess he won this one. Haha

2 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Why not just make all helmets now have the plastic visors fitted on them and then you just need to add something at the bottom of the helmet

Funny i posted this on page one and then when it went to my post I see transplantbillsfan has the same suggestion :)

My bad... should've read through to see if someone brought it up.

Seems such an obvious solution.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

you came up with it first I failed to look :P

agreed on the obviously easy solution imo as well

3 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

you came up with it first I failed to look :P

agreed on the obviously easy solution imo as well

It will take some getting used to, but athletes in tons of other sports have PR’d with full on respiratory masks while testing/measuring their VO2MAX. Obviously a ton of variables for that to happen, but as long as it is the same across the board it’s no different than playing a game in Athens in August or in Maine. Everybody is on the same field, on the same day, with the same weather. 

• Like (+1) 1

@Gugny just posted this in the Shoutbox

Looks very interesting - not a re-design of the helmet/mask but a visor and a channeled extension down around the mouth.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

From your mouth to the NFL’s ears I guess?

• Thank you (+1) 2