NFL testing helmet masks?

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True....but I wouldn't bet the rent money that it's the major factor in it taking a long time to recover.  Plenty stories from young people without asthma who found their bout with covid-19 prolonged debilitating, and "full recovery" for a top elite athlete is surely a different matter than "full recovery" for Sally or Sammy Store Shopper.

Yes, but mainly that difference is financial.  Once the season starts and elite NFL athlete doesn't feel up to playing, he gets his millions to stay home and stay safe.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True dat.  But players may have homies or family members that fit the same profile as coaches.  And as discussed, I think focus on death may miss the point - even a mild disease can apparently knock a healthy Von Miller on his butt for 3+ weeks.

I'm not sure how they'll do it, and maybe I'm a naive extremist, but I'm assuming their solution is going to have to involve some aspect of "deployment" that limits teams' contact with the outside world to lessen the likelihood of the NFL season being derailed from outside exposure and also lessen any liability from internal exposure. While players and coaches are not likely to appreciate it, I would assume it's probably going to involve limited contact with friends and family.  I suspect ultimately it will come down to players and coaches accepting the terms of the modifications and individual risks, or having some other option for individuals to opt out of the season.

As far as the time missed, they're going to have to approach it like an injury. 3+ weeks for a high ankle sprain or a covid infection. It will just be a question of who a player takes with him to the injury report.

It will be interesting to see what the "solution" is. I suspect it will leave an asterisk in the record books if the season goes forward, kind of like a strike shortened season. If someone tests positive, depending on how they address proximity in locker rooms, wouldn't you have to quarantine a whole team for some length of time?  What happens then? Reschedule a game? Forfeit?

In my mind, all of this has a high likelihood of being a giant experimental exhibition season, which will be "all fun and games until someone loses an eye."

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol.

the point is that these guys have already fully accepted a higher risk of permanent injury, physically and mentally.  Therefore it  is ironic that they or their employer would be expending so much energy and concern that they might catch a virus that nearly all of them would be asymptomatic from.

Optics

• Like (+1) 1

Based upon the high risk that football poses due to proximity to others and the number of coaches and players on a team, only a vaccine is going to be the option for the NFL. All of these adaptations won't fully mitigate the very real concerns, and all it will take is one coach or player (or family member of either or both!) to fall due to COVID-19 and the whole season shuts down.

I honestly don't know how the NFL Players Association leadership signs off on this... but if they do, buckle up for justifiable lawsuits if it goes south. The NFL isn't the XFL... they have the luxury of going slowly here.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not sure that's true, but that's just based on thinking about it.  My guess is that whoever is trialing this, isn't planning on blockage, just on reduction.  It's possible that something that fit in around the jawline and extended around to in front of the ears and up as high as the cheekbones could help, especially in conjunction with the helmet eye shields some of the players already wear. 

The whole thing just seems farfetched to me, given the intrinsic violence of football.

I was thinking more outside the box. It just doesn't seem reasonable for players to wear a typical mask right up against their faces while exerting the effort it takes to play.

18 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Based upon the high risk that football poses due to proximity to others and the number of coaches and players on a team, only a vaccine is going to be the option for the NFL. All of these adaptations won't fully mitigate the very real concerns, and all it will take is one coach or player (or family member of either or both!) to fall due to COVID-19 and the whole season shuts down.

I honestly don't know how the NFL Players Association leadership signs off on this... but if they do, buckle up for justifiable lawsuits if it goes south. The NFL isn't the XFL... they have the luxury of going slowly here.

There won't be a vaccine soon enough, so clearly they aren't waiting.  Players willingly accepting risk where the risk is obvious and all reasonable measures are openly being made to mitigate the risks will preclude most lawsuits I would think.

They want their players to get paid.

NFLPA has been fine with steroids, HGH, etc.....pretty much any new PED testing has at one time or another been resisted by the union.  While railing against the league's handling of CTE, the players resist meaning changes such as helmet redesign.  They turn a blind eye to dirty hits that never cease and routinely appeal fines and suspensions for their cheap shots. They make a lot of noise about player safety when they feel it's in their best interest, but mainly the union's goal is to allow their members to do what they want to maximize their earnings.  Standard stuff.

The only players who have clearly demonstrated their true concerns with the safety of the game are those who have walked away from it.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

Some materials such as polypropylene collect electrons and become negatively charged which may repel the surface of the negatively charged coronavirus IMO. Polypropelene fabric is also water repellent.

Its possible a more breathable protection/ solution can be found for athletes IMO.

Any person involved in a high end aerobic exercise like a professional athlete does will not be able to intake required air/oxygen and exhale with a fitted mask without it diminishing performance dramatically.   If you don’t believe me put on a basic dust mast snuggly and run  forty to sixty yards at full gas a couple of times. 

The best they might hope for is to keep the spit and spray down to a dull roar by lining the inside of the cage, but that could restrict visibility when an athlete is looking downward without tipping their head. Should be entertaining to see the athletes response to such a devise. 

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Any person involved in a high end aerobic exercise like a professional athlete does will not be able to intake required air/oxygen and exhale with a fitted mask without it diminishing performance dramatically.   If you don’t believe me put on a basic dust mast snuggly and run  forty to sixty yards at full gas a couple of times. 

The best they might hope for is to keep the spit and spray down to a dull roar by lining the inside of the cage, but that could restrict visibility when an athlete is looking downward without tipping their head. Should be entertaining to see the athletes response to such a devise. 

Once again, they are NOT talking about a fitted mask.

5 hours ago, Irv said:

darth-vader.jpg

As crazy as this sounds, this is actually closer to what they are talking about than a fitted mask. Special cloth spread over the existing face mask, creating a shield. 

54 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Once again, they are NOT talking about a fitted mask.

As crazy as this sounds, this is actually closer to what they are talking about than a fitted mask. Special cloth spread over the existing face mask, creating a shield. 

Yes I agree,  ? I stated the very thing in my post about fitting something to the cage to catch spit etc. and no I did not read every post ?

On 5/22/2020 at 10:35 AM, transient said:

I'm not sure how they'll do it, and maybe I'm a naive extremist, but I'm assuming their solution is going to have to involve some aspect of "deployment" that limits teams' contact with the outside world to lessen the likelihood of the NFL season being derailed from outside exposure and also lessen any liability from internal exposure. While players and coaches are not likely to appreciate it, I would assume it's probably going to involve limited contact with friends and family.  I suspect ultimately it will come down to players and coaches accepting the terms of the modifications and individual risks, or having some other option for individuals to opt out of the season.

As far as the time missed, they're going to have to approach it like an injury. 3+ weeks for a high ankle sprain or a covid infection. It will just be a question of who a player takes with him to the injury report.

It will be interesting to see what the "solution" is. I suspect it will leave an asterisk in the record books if the season goes forward, kind of like a strike shortened season. If someone tests positive, depending on how they address proximity in locker rooms, wouldn't you have to quarantine a whole team for some length of time?  What happens then? Reschedule a game? Forfeit?

In my mind, all of this has a high likelihood of being a giant experimental exhibition season, which will be "all fun and games until someone loses an eye."

I would think they would be tested daily.  By August there should be quick test.  If guy is positive he is quarantined until he is tested negative.  It seems that Korean baseball is working.  I think NFL will make it work with mask protection and testing process.  Go Bills!