Ranking the Best Running Back Tandems in the NFL: Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

Comments as I scroll through the article:

1. Washington is too high. Peterson is well past his prime. 

2. Dolphins are too high. 

3. Texans are too high. 

4. Packers - How high can Aaron Jones go?

5. I think Indianapolis will be good with Mack and Taylor, they are too low

6. New England - Too high. Michel has no explosion whatsoever, and White is a pass catcher with little else

7. As good as Carson is, Seattle is thin. 

8. Bengals are too high. Mixon is alright, but Bernard is shot. 

9. Broncos - Melvin Gordon is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. LA Chargers were smart to not pay him. 

10. Jets - Way too high. Every play that the Jets give the ball to Gore is a wasted play because someone more explosive doesn't touch the ball. Le'Veon Bell averaged 3.2 ypc last year and just turned 28. 

Other observations - Yes McCaffrey is great. But he stifles the Panthers offense at times because he is the only one that touches the ball. So they don't have a vertical component at all, and Bridgewater will not fix that. They are overly reliant on McCaffrey. 

Numbers are already suggesting Zeke is declining....

Fournette is big and strong, but inefficient. Marrone thinks he is imposing his physicality on the other team. But in reality they're happy to sit back and let Fournette ram his way 3.5 ypc at a time.   

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Gore seems like a good guy and has had a great career, but I don’t know how anyone could watch his play last year and think he is anything but washed up. If he still had anything left in the tank, I think Beane and McDermott would have re-signed him.

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, whatdrought said:

File this one under "umm, wat?" 

I usually like Miller but there are some real head scratchers here.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892620-ranking-the-nfls-top-backfield-duos-for-2020?share=twitter

Biggest takeaway: Bills ranked 25th which seems low, though I understand it's a tiny / non-existent sample size so I won't go to the grave fighting that. However... The Jets tandem of Bell and Gore as the third best in the league really makes the rest of the article a joke. 3.4 yards per carry combined. COMBINED!

I mean, people were also claiming our tandem of a rookie Allen + Nathan Peterman wasn't the worst QB duo in the league that year because the year prior we made the playoffs...and how could we possibly be worse when Allen was an upgrade over Tyrod.

Fans always think their team is set for big things and that their players are better positioned than they are. They snark at national writers because "they just don't follow the Bills enough" while at the same time, not following the other 31 teams in the league nearly as much as those national writers do. 

People always act like the Bills are the only team to make roster upgrades though every team adds to their roster each year. We may have added a nice RB in Zack Moss, but nobody has seen him play at the pro level. We've seen Singletary play well, but never have a full time schedule of carrying the load. It makes sense the sports writers would be cautious in overestimating the duo's value.

Hopefully Singletary takes the next step and Moss pans out, then next year we'll be evaluated much higher overall. When we had Lynch, Fred Jackson & CJ Spiller going into 2010, I doubt people thought the team had a bottom tier RB corps.

Edited by BigDingus

On 6/2/2020 at 4:19 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Jets @ 3 and SF @ 12 is just silly.

The Jets are definitely higher than they should be due to Gore being ranked as a top 30 RB in the league. SF is understandably underrated because he's only basing it off the starter and first backup. The 49ers RBs aren't all that special individually, but they have 3 or 4 solid options, and that along with Shanahan's schemes is more important than their individual talent.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:54 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

3. Texans are too high. 

6. New England - Too high. Michel has no explosion whatsoever, and White is a pass catcher with little else

9. Broncos - Melvin Gordon is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. LA Chargers were smart to not pay him. 

10. Jets - Way too high. Every play that the Jets give the ball to Gore is a wasted play because someone more explosive doesn't touch the ball. Le'Veon Bell averaged 3.2 ypc last year and just turned 28. 

Other observations - Yes McCaffrey is great. But he stifles the Panthers offense at times because he is the only one that touches the ball. So they don't have a vertical component at all, and Bridgewater will not fix that. They are overly reliant on McCaffrey. 

Fournette is big and strong, but inefficient. Marrone thinks he is imposing his physicality on the other team. But in reality they're happy to sit back and let Fournette ram his way 3.5 ypc at a time.   

So you think roughly half the teams listed are too high"?  How many do you think are too low, zero?  

On 6/3/2020 at 1:54 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

3. Texans are too high. 

Huck, nice take.  Agreed with most of what you said, and watch these knuckleheads rate the Bills in the top 10.  I’m not going to say top 5 as there are some great RB tandems in the NFL, but the league is in for something with our guys.  Singletary will be the clear starter and wiggle his way to a lot more than 1000 yards, probably closer to 1300-1400 all purpose yards, and Moss will rack up the TD’s in the red zone and at least have 700-800 all purpose yards, maybe even 1000.  It completely takes the pressure off of Allen and gives him the freedom to make those passes to our trio and not feel like he has to play hero ball.

One of you football geeks (like me) don’t forget when we are killing it this year to resurrect this thread to shove it in those knuckleheads face.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, whatdrought said:

File this one under "umm, wat?" 

I usually like Miller but there are some real head scratchers here.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892620-ranking-the-nfls-top-backfield-duos-for-2020?share=twitter

Biggest takeaway: Bills ranked 25th which seems low, though I understand it's a tiny / non-existent sample size so I won't go to the grave fighting that. However... The Jets tandem of Bell and Gore as the third best in the league really makes the rest of the article a joke. 3.4 yards per carry combined. COMBINED!

Good old cement shoes

3 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

The whole league is going to be caught sleeping on Moss and it will be a glorious feast of crow eating when he and Singletary light it up. 

Yeah, I'm surprised the league isn't super high on the 10th RB taken in the draft, and instead higher on the first and fifth RB's taken which went to two of the best offenses in the NFL. 

We are going to have a very good tandem RB attack, Singletary and Moss are going to be the dynamic duo in my opinion. 

BR has some good reporting, but with this level of output they may join another outfit to never click on that does not deserve anyone’s patronage... I’m looking at you PFF...

Go Bills!!!

are they using madden ratings for this list. Love Gore to death but he is not an 80 he looked good early in the season and when Singletary got back it was obvious who the feature back was. Hard to rate Moss with no pro experience I get his rating can't wait to have the best rushing attack In the league and the best Defense plus an aerial attack that's further than 15 yards down the field. Pick your poison opposition

If you factor in QB, I think by 2021, we will have the most dynamic 1-2-3 combo in the league, all pups still. Singletary will be an elite back and Moss is an amazing compliment to his style. Then Josh is the 2nd most effective QB running the ball in the NFL. I'm not saying this group is at that point yet, but that's what I expect by 2021. Any 1-2-3 and the argument can be made for Lamar, but I need to see 2 consecutive years. I'm just not bullish on him yet. So frequently exposed to injury threat and it's always the 2nd year the Defensive coordinators catch up (I don't count his 2018 season as far as DC's scrambling, he was average, 2019, he killed you, if the Central coaches don't catch up they know they can't compete). They will give the rest of the league a blue print prior to the half way mark, maybe sooner.