NFL player sues United Airlines

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

This is not a complicated case. Was a report made by the crew? Was the pilot informed of the commotion? I assume he/she was. Was security at the arrival airport notified in order to interview those involved? 

I don't know what you disagree with. Assuming the story as written is true the woman's behavior without question crossed the legal line. Grabbing someone's sausage without consent is an illegal act! That doesn't always mean that there is an arrest but in this case it should have led to a report and interviews post flight. 

Both of us don't have the full story. But from the story that was given it does appear to me that the crew didn't do what was required in dealing with this sausage grabbing incident. 

I'm clearly disagreeing with your conclusion that you know that what happened on the plane 'without question" should have prompted them to have to cops waiting to take this woman away.  Why would they? The two plaintiffs didn't even think this was necessary, obviously.  Did they file any report with authorities?  No.  They waited 3 months then sued the airline.

Again, the trained professionals who responded to the complaint handled it with a verbal warning and then with a move of the passenger.  End of story.  No one, not the flight crew, nor the plaintiffs, thought this rose to a criminal offense or thought a criminal investigation was necessary.  Therefore, none of what you are concluding makes any sense whatsoever.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm clearly disagreeing with your conclusion that you know that what happened on the plane 'without question" should have prompted them to have to cops waiting to take this woman away.  Why would they? The two plaintiffs didn't even think this was necessary, obviously.  Did they file any report with authorities?  No.  

Again, the trained professionals who responded to the complaint handled it with a verbal warning and then with a move of the passenger.  End of story.  No one, not the flight crew, nor the plaintiffs, thought this rose to a criminal offense or thought a criminal investigation was necessary.  Therefore, none of what you are concluding makes any sense whatsoever.

Both of us are responding to a written story that isn't necessarily a complete reflection of what actually happened. I am comfortable in my position that based on the story that both of us are responding to that documented reports should have been made of the complaint and incident/s. Now that there is a legal response by the complainant those reports would have been useful as a response. So based on what should have been an obvious and basic response I strenuously disagree with your position. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Both of us are responding to a written story that isn't necessarily a complete reflection of what actually happened. I am comfortable in my position that based on the story that both of us are responding to that documented reports should have been made of the complaint and incident/s. Now that there is a legal response by the complainant those reports would have been useful as a response. So based on what should have been an obvious and basic response I strenuously disagree with your position. 

The plaintiffs disagree with you.  Not only that, there is no mention of them pursuing any criminal investigation after the flight.  Did they even head to the airline representative at the destination airport to file a complaint of any kind?  Why didn't they demand "a documented report" be made if they thought one was necessary?

You are free in your beliefs.  Mine are based of the evidence we have.  None of it supports your belief.

On May 21, 2020 at 10:38 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If I had a nickle for every time some random woman massaged by grundles on an airplane...

......you'd have one Canadian nickel?

Edited by 4merper4mer

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If a woman who was a professional athlete or simply a fit woman who could kick most men's asses was on the receiving end of another passenger who grabbed their breasts and other private part what would be the response? The issue isn't who could beat up who but the transgressive behavior in of itself. 

My position is that at the minimum the flight staff should have more aggressively responded, made notifications and documented the incident. By doing that they also protect themselves and the company from the person transgressed who later made the claim that the staff didn't adequately respond. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My position is that at the minimum the flight staff should have more aggressively responded, made notifications and documented the incident. By doing that they also protect themselves and the company from the person transgressed who later made the claim that the staff didn't adequately respond. 

My "position" is that you have no idea what really happened, how it was presented to the folks with their jobs on the line or anything else,other that the plaintiff's attorney statement. 

The best policy is to refrain from a "position," until you know both sides, or in this case three.

23 hours ago, sherpa said:

My "position" is that you have no idea what really happened, how it was presented to the folks with their jobs on the line or anything else,other that the plaintiff's attorney statement. 

The best policy is to refrain from a "position," until you know both sides, or in this case three.

You missed the point. By not at the minimum documenting the incident the airline staff put the company in a vulnerable position. 

Edited by JohnC

No. You missed the point.

The point is that you have no idea what really happened, let alone how it was reported or responded to.

Until those things are addressed, judgement is a waste of time.

Silly lawsuits happen all the time.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:57 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

She later admitted that she had been drinking and had taken unspecified pills. 

Ambien and liquor will do that to you. Ambien alone does it for some people.

37 minutes ago, boater said:

Ambien and liquor will do that to you. Ambien alone does it for some people.

Xanax, which is frequently taken by people uncomfortable with flying, plus alcohol can make you lose your mind! 

I have a friend who took an Ambien one night and did not remember the next day that he had driven around town to visit people. He still takes a half or a quarter in some situations, but I’m not touching it. That was just too scary. 

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

we are on a message board shooting out opinions. 

if he wanted to go start a rally on the courthouse steps, sure, chill out... but it’s fine to go with a “based on the little we know I think this” conversation. He didn’t chisel anything into stone here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

You missed the point. By not at the minimum documenting the incident they put the airline staff put the company in a vulnerable position. 

Do you think they, at the end of each flight, "document" every passenger complaint ("this person did [something] to me!")?  Nope.

Some "writeup" wouldn't have changed the likelihood these 2 guys were planning on suing....rather than themselves bringing this assault, this crime to the proper authorities.   Did they go to the authorities?  Did they go to the airline reps upon landing?    You said the flight crew did  nothing, yet the suit itself documents that they twice responded--first with a verbal warning, second by removing her from the row.

Unless you can document some evidence that they were required by....anyone...to document that complaint, you should probably lay off this line of reasoning.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Do you think they, at the end of each flight, "document" every passenger complaint ("this person did [something] to me!")?  Nope.

Some "writeup" wouldn't have changed the likelihood these 2 guys were planning on suing....rather than themselves bringing this assault, this crime to the proper authorities.   Did they go to the authorities?  Did they go to the airline reps upon landing?    You said the flight crew did  nothing, yet the suit itself documents that they twice responded--first with a verbal warning, second by removing her from the row.

Unless you can document some evidence that they were required by....anyone...to document that complaint, you should probably lay off this line of reasoning.  

Any complaint made that someone without consent grabbed your sausage on a flight absolutely should and would get written up! And especially if the staff had to respond by moving people. 

With respect to your question of would the documenting of the incident forestall the filing of a lawsuit, don't get silly. Of course it wouldn't have. People do what they want to do. What it would have done is officially note how they responded to the incident. And in this case it certainly have been helpful in responding to maybe a baseless or not lawsuit. The documenting of the incident would have better protected the interest of the airline and staff, not hurt it. 

You don't think that in a hospital setting if a patient made a complaint about an inappropriate touching by another patient or staff member that the incident wouldn't be documented? You don't think that in a school setting if a student made a complaint about an inappropriate touching by another student or staff member it wouldn't be documented? What you don't understand is that your informal and incomplete response (not documenting) to this type of incident makes the company and staff more legally vulnerable.  

Edited by JohnC

Mike Francesa is an idiot.  What's the guy going to do to protect himself?  Punch her?  Yeah.  In this day and age, that would end well.  Moron.  

On 5/21/2020 at 12:50 PM, purple haze said:

The woman was out of hand.  The pills and alcohol loosened her inhibitions to an untenable degree.  Flight personnel should have stepped in when made aware.  If you are the NFL guy you don't want your name in the news for even the perception that you mistreated/abused this woman in anyway.  If you are two black men, you do not want the perception that you've done something to this white woman, who is "drunk" and her perceptions are off.  They were right to go to the flight personnel.

It was TB12 ;)

He only wants Gronks junk....in the shower ;)

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What it would have done is officially note how they responded to the incident. And in this case it certainly have been helpful in responding to maybe a baseless or not lawsuit. The documenting of the incident would have better protected the interest of the airline and staff, not hurt it. 

Are you certain that any documentation wasn't created?

Simply because a legal complaint wasn't made, or law enforcement wasn't asked to be involved means little regarding what occurred or what was done.

The airlines have their own internal processes for this kind of thing, knowing that a lot of passengers are going to pursue legal action.

Here's an example. 

I was flying an all nighter from LA to Chicago in the mid 90's.

Get to cruise altitude and get a call from the flight attendants that some guy has likely had a heart attack and being tended to on the floor in 1st class.

Turns out there is a UCLA Medical Center MD tending to him, assisted by an ophthalmologist surgeon.

UCLA guy gets on the phone and tells me the guy is basically dead. Little hope for survival.

I divert into Phoenix. Takes about 15 minutes to get from cruise altitude to a gate in Phoenix where emergency medical folks are at the gate and on the guy as soon as the door opens.

MD tells me that there is now way the guy would have survived except for the immediate medical attention and equipment on board, and the extremely rapid divert.

Necessary reports filed.

Four months later I find out the guy, who lived, is suing the company.

Company wants to know if I have anything more to add to the report I filed the next day.

Case never makes it to court because of statement the MD made.

None of that stuff was public.

The point is that there is no way, given the information the sole source of which is the plaintiff's attorney what was done, how it was responded to or how it was documented.

People finding a lawyer to file a lawsuit well after the event are not unusual.

For those saying that “since the cops didn’t show up at the end of the flight, nothing could have really happened” I’m reminded of perhaps the oddest flight of my life 3 years ago coming back from a family vacation in Japan.

My 13 year old daughter was across the aisle  from 3 young Asian men covered head to toe in tats.  Two small guys and one guy who was 6’3 or so and went about 300 pounds.  They came in bombed and started taking pills by the handful while periodically speaking to each other in grunting Japanese.  Pretty soon the two little guys are out while the big guy is zonked out of his mind and tried to stand up almost literally every two minutes while the seatbelt sign was on.  Often reaching into

his overhead luggage and spilling it all over everyone around him.  The male flight attendants couldn’t restrain him—he ended up in the bathroom trying to smoke, repeatedly.  Not listening to the stewards at all.  He just stumbled around the cabin, sh&t-faced, eyes closed and mumbling.  Meanwhile his compatriots periodically woke up and grunted at him before taking more pills with beer chasers.  No help at all in calming him down the entire 14 hour flight.  Needless to say, dad soon replaced daughter in the seat across from The Hulk and his pals.  No one (other than the mini-ya-chan (a cutesy Japanese term for Yakuza, which these guys almost certainly were)) slept the entire flight.  

When the time came to get off, I was sure there’d be cops waiting—nope.  Not a one.  I talked to one of the stewards and they said “hey, we tried to get the cops, but they aren’t coming.”

We last saw Larry, Curly and Moe, who

had roused by flight’s end at the baggage claim groggily heading off with their bags.  I told my wife that if I were a movie director I’d love to follow them into NY—either comedy gold or hard-boiled noir for sure.....