NFL player sues United Airlines

22 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I have to 100% disagree with you on this.  So, do you think if a woman is groped and prodded and touched against her will she would be ok with it if it was some handsome dude.  That is total BS.

Yeah, touching anyone against their will is creepy and a crime.  But what Brad Pitt calls flirting is sexual harassment from Danny Devito.  Good looking people have a lot more leeway in life. ?

40 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

What does race have to do with anything?

Two white guys wouldn't want the perception that they did something to a black woman either..

Bringing up race just sets up back. We are all human

And I wish this was the case.  But in the real world, it’s simply not for a lot of people.    Also as this case showed, there’s real double standards to this behavior because of gender.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, iinii said:

How do you know he was a big man? Could have been Roscoe. 

I assume a certain level of physical fitness for a professional athlete. I would imagine none of these guys would have a problem moving the average person. I guess I should be non-binary with body types.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

What does race have to do with anything?

Two white guys wouldn't want the perception that they did something to a black woman either..

Bringing up race just sets up back. We are all human

There are people who live a life with concerns you might not think about because it might not be your experience.  Some can dismiss historical trends.  Others can't.  We all are human; even more reason to not ignore the history of others, although your reasons might be altruistic.

32 minutes ago, purple haze said:

There are people who live a life with concerns you might not think about because it might not be your experience.  Some can dismiss historical trends.  Others can't.  We all are human; even more reason to not ignore the history of others, although your reasons might be altruistic.

Dude you have no idea the experiences I have gone through. What racism and prejudices I've encountered

And that's still not a reason to make it a racial issue.

It's like when I watch a video of a basketball game and they say white baller goes off. Who cares if he's white there's no color in sports

Just like there shouldn't be any color in this incident. Woman gropes man

Boom no reason for race

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, without a drought said:

When she told him to go up front to another seat, he should have just said "I will do just that".

Who the F sits there for this abuse for more than 60 seconds when there are empty ROWS of seats on the plane?  Good luck with the jury of your non-peers, Johns Doe.

54 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dude you have no idea the experiences I have gone through. What racism and prejudices I've encountered

And that's still not a reason to make it a racial issue.

It's like when I watch a video of a basketball game and they say white baller goes off. Who cares if he's white there's no color in sports

Just like there shouldn't be any color in this incident. Woman gropes man

Boom no reason for race

You're right, I don't know.  Which is why I said there are things you MIGHT not think about because it MIGHT not be your experience.  I didn't make it a racial issue.  I noted a truism based on historical trends where black men and white women are concerned and physical confrontation and/or disputed facts are involved that might have legal ramifications.

No color in sports?  That's not true either.  But I won't get into those plethora of examples and how they are related to historical trends.   God bless you.  See you in a different thread. ✌?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He could have just initially asked to go to another seat.  The flight wasn't full.  They never say no to that request and it's easier than trying to get them to move someone who doesn't want to move.

Any reasonable person would not have sat there for that long while this was happening to them.  No doubt the flight crew will have a different story than these two dudes.

If the story is true that the person/s being harassed by the woman who was drunk and high complained to the flight attendant then that airline employee/s was derelict in doing their job/s. Acting obnoxious is one thing that can get you in trouble on a flight. But when you put your hands on someone on their privates then that is behavior that should have been directly addressed on the flight and after the flight with an official response. 

This aberrant behavior by the woman is the type of behavior that attendants are trained to deal with. I agree with you that the victim should have taken another seat but what is most troubling is that assuming the story is accurate then the passive response by the airline staff was grossly negligent. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the story is true that the person/s being harassed by the woman who was drunk and high complained to the flight attendant then that airline employee/s was derelict in doing their job/s. Acting obnoxious is one thing that can get you in trouble on a flight. But when you put your hands on someone on their privates then that is behavior that should have been directly addressed on the flight and after the flight with an official response. 

This aberrant behavior by the woman is the type of behavior that attendants are trained to deal with. I agree with you that the victim should have taken another seat but what is most troubling is that assuming the story is accurate then the passive response by the airline staff was grossly negligent. 

The flight crew moved her twice.

It is up to the victim to press charges, not the airline. Neither of them reported a crime.  What type of post flight "official response" were you referring to?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

The flight crew moved her twice.

It is up to the victim to press charges, not the airline. Neither of them reported a crime.  What type of post flight "official response" were you referring to?

There are federal laws associated with unruly behavior on a flight. Not only should the crew members attended to the matter in the air they should have made notifications while in the air to have the FAA police or security officials meet the flight when it arrived. If the flight crew moved her twice during the flight then clearly her behavior crossed the legal line. Without question she should have been detained upon arrival.   

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

There are federal laws associated with unruly behavior on a flight. Not only should the crew members attended to the matter in the air they should have made notifications while in the air to have the FAA police or security officials meet the flight when it arrived. If the flight crew moved her twice during the flight then clearly her behavior crossed the legal line. Without question she should have been detained upon arrival.   

You only know what this suit alleges.  They did "attend to the matter", obviously.

The flight crew alone gets to decide who is a danger to passengers, crew or flight.   Moving an a-hole passenger around is not evidence this person was an over threat, let alone evidence that "her behavior crossed the legal line" (you just made that up).  For your reference: 

• Interfering with the duties of a crewmember violates federal law.
  • Federal Aviation Regulations 91.11, 121.580 and 135.120 state that "no person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated."
  • The FAA's database contains only those incidents reported to FAA. Reporting is at the discretion of the crewmember.
  • Security violations are excluded. Those cases are handled by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
  • Updated numbers are posted on this web page quarterly.
  • The repercussions for passengers who engage in unruly behavior can be substantial. They can be fined by FAA or prosecuted on criminal charges.
  • As part of the FAA's Reauthorization Bill (April 16, 2000) the FAA can propose up to $25,000 per violation for unruly passenger cases. Previously, the maximum civil penalty per violation was $1,100. One incident can result in multiple violations.

In 2019, there were fewer than 100 reported to the FAA, out of 800 million passengers.

They see this stuff all day every day.  Not every such complaint ends with the paddy wagon waiting on the tarmac.  The two victims certainly didn't believe that her actions even warranted a criminal complaint.

I'll tend to trust the crew on this one. This happened 3 months ago, by the way.

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You only know what this suit alleges.  They did "attend to the matter", obviously.

The flight crew alone gets to decide who is a danger to passengers, crew or flight.   Moving an a-hole passenger around is not evidence this person was an over threat, let alone evidence that "her behavior crossed the legal line" (you just made that up). For your reference: 

• Federal Aviation Regulations 91.11, 121.580 and 135.120 state that "no person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated."
  • The FAA's database contains only those incidents reported to FAA. Reporting is at the discretion of the crewmember.
  • Security violations are excluded. Those cases are handled by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
  • The repercussions for passengers who engage in unruly behavior can be substantial. They can be fined by FAA or prosecuted on criminal charges.
  • As part of the FAA's Reauthorization Bill (April 16, 2000) the FAA can propose up to $25,000 per violation for unruly passenger cases. Previously, the maximum civil penalty per violation was $1,100. One incident can result in multiple violations.

In 2019, there were fewer than 100 reported to the FAA, out of 800 million passengers.

They see this stuff all day every day.  Not every such complaint ends with the paddy wagon waiting on the tarmac.  The two victims certainly didn't believe that her actions even warranted a criminal complaint.

I'll tend to trust the crew on this one. This happened 3 months ago, by the way.

You didn't carefully read my response. You ended up making assumptions not on what I said but what you thought I said. I said if this story is true as described by the complaining party that he was grabbed and groped then that it certainly called for some attendant action. The story indicates that the staff didn't respond to the complaint. Do I know if the claimant's story accurately reflected what happened? I don't know. My response was if true then I would agree that the staff was lax in its response. And if true this behavior as described definitely crossed the line toward not only inappropriate conduct but to the level of illegal conduct.  

The way this story was described it called for some action by the security personnel when the plane landed. The security staff would then interview the parties involved and make a report and a determination as to whether to proceed further or not. 

Edited by JohnC

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You didn't carefully read my response. You ended up making assumptions not on what I said but what you thought I said. I said if this story is true as described by the complaining party that he was grabbed and groped then that it certainly called for some attendant action. The story indicates that the staff didn't respond to the complaint. Do I know if the claimant's story accurately reflected what happened? I don't know. My response was if true then I would agree that the staff was lax in its response.  

The way this story was described it called for some action by the security personnel when the plane landed. The security staff would then interview the parties involved and make a report and a determination as to whether to proceed further or not. 

I read your post carefully.  You said this: "If the flight crew moved her twice during the flight then clearly her behavior crossed the legal line."  

I concluded that your statement was not true, because there's no evidence of its truth.

Also, untrue: "The story indicates that the staff didn't respond to the complaint". The crew twice addressed this passenger regarding this complaint:  first they issued a verbal warning.  Then, after she grabbed the guys junk, he got up and told a crew member, who then came back and moved the passenger.

So no, I didn't misread your post at all....you simply didn't read "the story" carefully.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Years ago, we were attending a fundraiser in Sarasota, FL. The ”old people” had functions every week. I had THREE tux shirts to keep up. 

The young people wanted their own thing, so the “Ungala Gala” was born. It was at the amazing Ringling Museum. An outdoor event. I was upstairs on a balcony near a bar watching my wife dancing with folks on the ground level patio. Someone came up behind me and began groping my nether regions. I looked down....and there was my wife. I was confused! Maybe I should have turned around sooner? 

The Un-gala had evolved to the point that it was a black tie event, and I was just one more guy with dark hair in a tux. She got the wrong guy! I’m not sure if she was impressed, or sorely disappointed! Regardless, by the time I could turn around all I could see were at least a half dozen beautiful young ladies in fabulous gowns. I didn’t even know who to thank! 

That’s life!

Same event, not sure if it was the same year. This stunning lady in a great dress shocks me by walking up and pulling my left hand out of my pocket. She sees the wedding ring and .....pffft.....walks away. 

I’ll never be young again.  

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The flight crew alone gets to decide who is a danger to passengers, crew or flight.   Moving an a-hole passenger around is not evidence this person was an over threat, let alone evidence that "her behavior crossed the legal line" (you just made that up).  For your reference: 

Is said John Doe about to fail a drug test or be out of the NFL? 3 months seems a bit long to wait to press the issue, if it was truly egregious. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I read your post carefully.  You said this: "If the flight crew moved her twice during the flight then clearly her behavior crossed the legal line."  

I concluded that your statement was not true, because there's no evidence of its truth.

Also, untrue: "The story indicates that the staff didn't respond to the complaint". The crew twice addressed this passenger regarding this complaint:  first they issued a verbal warning.  Then, after she grabbed the guys junk, he got up and told a crew member, who then came back and moved the passenger.

So no, I didn't misread your post at all....you simply didn't read "the story" carefully.

This is not a complicated case. Was a report made by the crew? Was the pilot informed of the commotion? I assume he/she was. Was security at the arrival airport notified in order to interview those involved? 

I don't know what you disagree with. Assuming the story as written is true the woman's behavior without question crossed the legal line. Grabbing someone's sausage without consent is an illegal act! That doesn't always mean that there is an arrest but in this case it should have led to a report and interviews post flight. 

Both of us don't have the full story. But from the story that was given it does appear to me that the crew didn't do what was required in dealing with this sausage grabbing incident. 

Edited by JohnC

Having been on the other side of the door, there are very specific protocols regarding passenger behavior that start with a mere discussion with the passenger and escalate to a diversion and unscheduled landing with full law enforcement armed boarding based on the situation.

If the issue seemed to be resolved with nobody suggesting legal action against the woman while on board, that would be the end of it.

It happens,

If there was thought that there was a chance that a sexual assault had occurred, there certainly would have been reports and follow ups.

Again, there is no effort whatsoever to provide the other side of the story, but it may be that there wasn't any thought that anything serious happened and the issue was resolved by separation.

Happens often enough.

What also happens often enough is the chatting among folks starts after the event and a lawyer is found who is willing to roll the dice with a lawsuit. Airlines deal with lawsuits like that all the time. Rarely do they ever make it to court, and are often dismissed without any settlement.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Having been on the other side of the door, there are very specific protocols regarding passenger behavior that start with a mere discussion with the passenger and escalate to a diversion and unscheduled landing with full law enforcement armed boarding based on the situation.

If the issue seemed to be resolved with nobody suggesting legal action against the woman while on board, that would be the end of it.

It happens,

If there was thought that there was a chance that a sexual assault had occurred, there certainly would have been reports and follow ups.

Again, there is no effort whatsoever to provide the other side of the story, but it may be that there wasn't any thought that anything serious happened and the issue was resolved by separation.

Happens often enough.

What also happens often enough is the chatting among folks starts after the event and a lawyer is found who is willing to roll the dice with a lawsuit. Airlines deal with lawsuits like that all the time. Rarely do they ever make it to court, and are often dismissed without any settlement.

All good points.  Pretty obvious that the crew didn't agree this rose to wha they are trained to alert authorities about.