Epenesa interview at combine - unwittingly brings back bad memories for Beane and McD

11 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Loved it. Watch McD’s face - it still rankles after so many years - that competitiveness was what was lacking in the Bills past two decades. oh and Frazier is a pot sirrer.

Thanks for posting this. A nice watch.

I do disagree, though, that competitiveness has been missing. They've all been competitive.

As cliche as this has become, I think it's the process McDermott and Beane go through. Not "the process," but just simply how they do things. They have a plan and it's a very intelligent one.

12 hours ago, Happy said:

I'm a bit shocked that Epenesa didn't know McD and Beane were part of the Carolina Panther organization during that SB.  

That's really kind of an unusual question being asked.  He's probably prepping for questions about defensive alignments, assignments, whether he can play either side.... I"m sure it caught him a bit off guard.  Plus he was just a high schooler at the time.

2 hours ago, RangerDave said:

Epenesa is from American Samoa.  Not exactly a hotbed for NFL trivia.  He admitted when drafted that he doesn't really know much about any of the NFL teams.  He could probably name the top 5 rugby players in the world...

*Oak Park, Kansas

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Happy said:

I'm a bit shocked that Epenesa didn't know McD and Beane were part of the Carolina Panther organization during that SB.  

He’s a young guy, that stuff is ancient history to his generation, that and it was funny...

AJ's agent probably gave him a study list for the combine with every Head Coach, DC, & D-line Coach to memorize. That's almost 100 names alone, and would be hard enough to do. He needs to know enough for an 18 minute interview with each. Unless it's common knowledge, their league history with other teams is too much info to have to know for that setting.

I'm sure once certain teams started showing interest, he studied deeper on their history, coaches, & front office before talking to them again.

25 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

He’s a young guy, that stuff is ancient history to his generation, that and it was funny...

He would have been 17 or 18 at the time of the 2015 season SB.  As another poster pointed out, Epenesa noted that he didn't follow football growing up.  I guess as a fan, I knew McD and Beane were former Panthers, like I know that Chris Grier and Brian Flores were former Pats.

I think you might be surprised how little some of these guys would prepare, its not a typical job interview. 

A long, long time ago I was interviewing for a co-op engineering job.  The school had drilled into our heads that you want to do prep work on the companies before going in.  I had squeezed in an interview with a west coast company in between classes so I went in cold.  When asked why I wanted to work there, I replied that I have always been interested in jet propulsion.

Yeah, JPL might be named Jet Propulsion Laboratory, but what they are about is rockets and space exploration.  I never worked there.  ?

That was a different situation of course.  I'm not saying that Epenesa should have known the background on McD.  It obviously did not hurt his draft status with us.

Man the chemistry of our coaching staff is crazy! Leslie was on point with that joke... 

"You know your draft stock jus went down" 

??????

But honestly...I would have drafted him just off that comment... AJ was so genuine when he said that ????

Good stuff

2 hours ago, Happy said:

He would have been 17 or 18 at the time of the 2015 season SB.  As another poster pointed out, Epenesa noted that he didn't follow football growing up.  I guess as a fan, I knew McD and Beane were former Panthers, like I know that Chris Grier and Brian Flores were former Pats.

I did not know that Grier was with the Pats. But I did know that his brother played for the Sabres 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I did not know that Grier was with the Pats. But I did know that his brother played for the Sabres 

He started out as an intern then regional scout in the mid 1990s.  Grier graduated from UMass Amherst.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He played football in high school and his father was a walk-on for Iowa football team in 1997.

You might do do some research first.

Of course, you are right.  I spent 10 days in Samoa in March, so I guess I thought I knew more than I did! ?  

• Like (+1) 1

I like that the Bills do features like this one.  The team is well promoted and Beane - McDermott show they are a class act.  

I loved to see Coach McD hate to lose.   Maybe someday, in the Super Bowl, he tells Epenesa to “remember Von Miller”.  

Edited by Bob in STL