Epenesa interview at combine - unwittingly brings back bad memories for Beane and McD

Loved it. Watch McD’s face - it still rankles after so many years - that competitiveness was what was lacking in the Bills past two decades. oh and Frazier is a pot sirrer.

Enjoy.

Edit: There is a reason the Bills asked him about sack fumbles - Epenesa had 4 each in 2018 and 2019. Tells us one reason Bills were attracted to Epenesa. His long arms come in very handy.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Happy said:

I'm a bit shocked that Epenesa didn't know McD and Beane were part of the Carolina Panther organization during that SB.  

He would have been about 17 during the SB year, probably didn’t follow their careers at that point. That interview was pre draft so just one of 32 teams he was talking to. 

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Some have more things to do that surf football boards.

You don't have to surf football boards to know when half the current staff was formerly part of an organization.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He would have been about 17 during the SB year, probably didn’t follow their careers at that point. That interview was pre draft so just one of 32 teams he was talking to. 

Yea not knowing a DC and personnel guy is pretty reasonable 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wouldn't draft prospects want to get some background knowledge of the organization they are interviewing?  I'm just thinking of this like a job interview, which I could be wrong in my assumption.

1 minute ago, Happy said:

You don't have to surf football boards to know when half the current staff was formerly part of an organization.

for 32 orgs? Ideally yea but no shame in not realizing. Especially Carolina and buffalo that aren’t getting a lot of Midwest Tv time 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Happy said:

Wouldn't draft prospects want to get some background knowledge of the organization they are interviewing?  I'm just thinking of this like a job interview, which I could be wrong in my assumption.

Maybe for an actual pre draft visit (even via zoom). This was just the combine. 15 min speed dating with every team. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

What did Fraiser do to arm? Lose a wrestling match with Coach McD?

I wondered same thing. 

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

Coach McD is a driven dude. Wow.  

I sure hope he reaches his goals in Buffalo.  Intense guy.  

McDermott is like the quintessential “football guy”

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

How many Assistant GM's/coaches and Co-Ordinators can the average person name from previous superbowl teams?

1 hour ago, Happy said:

You may know that as a Bills or Panthers fan, but the average fan of a team in say the NFC West might have no idea where the Bills GM and Coach previously came from. Its not like these guys were Huge names before they came here

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

How many Assistant GM's/coaches and Co-Ordinators can the average person name from previous superbowl teams?

Assistant GMs - no idea without looking up 

coordinators - bienemy and spagnola, Saleh and Lafleur 2020

i think 

McDaniels/Flores (?) / Taylor/Phillips 2019

not sure if Taylor was OC or QBs coach 

2018 - same for Pats and Reich/Schwartz for eagle s

i think ... no way these kids know this stuff imo 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Happy said:

I think you might be surprised how little some of these guys would prepare, its not a typical job interview. 

I doubt the teams are going to worry about a player knowing where members of their front office originally came from or some history about the organisation.

They probably get a quick breakdown of the team, their location and some important info to remember when going in from their agent

The teams usually use this time to test the player on their football IQ and check them out physically/medically

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Assistant GMs - no idea without looking up 

coordinators - bienemy and spagnola, Saleh and Lafleur 2020

i think 

McDaniels/Flores (?) / Taylor/Phillips 2019

not sure if Taylor was OC or QBs coach 

2018 - same for Pats and Reich/Schwartz for eagle s

i think ... no way these kids know this stuff imo 

Yeah, these guys aren't spending their nights and weekends online researching and following the entire league in depth

They are busy training and working to get themselves into a position to be drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Happy said:

I'm a bit shocked that Epenesa didn't know McD and Beane were part of the Carolina Panther organization during that SB.  

Shocked?  He knows they work the Bills.  That's all he really needs to know.  I've never interviewed for a job and knew all the places my interviewer worked.  As a conversation piece I might ask their background during the interview and find out that way.   And many of these college players don't see a ton of NFL games either.  A lot of programs watch film on Sundays.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

Shocked?  He knows they work the Bills.  That's all he really needs to know.  I've never interviewed for a job and knew all the places my interviewer worked.  As a conversation piece I might ask their background during the interview and find out that way.   And many of these college players don't see a ton of NFL games either.  A lot of programs watch film on Sundays.

Excellent point.  Epenesa didn’t do anything wrong.  Without looking up, how many posters could name off all 32 coordinators on offense and defense?  Again, no googling.  The video was pretty funny though.

10 hours ago, Happy said:

Epenesa is from American Samoa.  Not exactly a hotbed for NFL trivia.  He admitted when drafted that he doesn't really know much about any of the NFL teams.  He could probably name the top 5 rugby players in the world...

• Thank you (+1) 1