XFL Update: Fox expresses willingness to work with XFL 3.0, new owner, with modifications to deal

5 hours ago, Locomark said:

Enough with the XFL. It’s never been a viable league unless the NFL funds it as some sort of developmental league like NFL Europe whet they can test new rules and train refs and put kids that don’t belong in colleges into a league. It has no TV money and that is why it fails. 

Disagree. I think this last iteration had a decent chance and some good momentum from the start. Heck, there were even official fan clubs and team bars being setup here in Atlanta.

COVID killed it, but that isnt the league's fault.

Would love to see it come back as a Spring football option.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/21/2020 at 8:51 AM, Mr. WEO said:

No one was watching.  Admit defeat Vince (again).

He’s got bigger fish to fry, His viewership for wrestling in prime time is at an all time low and that is with pro sports gone. It’s going to get worse.

Edited by NobesBLO13
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I'd say 90% of the people I know who are NFL fans were at least casually watching the XFL. I think many others would say the same.

The ratings clearly show not nearly “many” enough....and fewer every week as the novelty wore off and people asked themselves why they were watching this.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I'd say 90% of the people I know who are NFL fans were at least casually watching the XFL. I think many others would say the same.

I wouldn’t say 90%.  The first week when it debuted it was like maybe 1/4 of NFL viewers and by week 4 - the consistent drop had it at 1 out of every 20 and even less when they calculate in the fans from bars group watching.

It was a top rated show, but it was about to get shut down even further by the final four tournament.  That would have dropped ratings even further.

I still believe the XFL could have survived for another year or two with minimal viewership because of the contract Vince got with Fox based mostly on moving his WWE partnership to Fox also.  That was the big difference between the XFL and the AAFL set-ups.

The new XFL is going to struggle badly because both ESPN and Fox nullified the TV agreements as part of bankruptcy and I do not see the new ownership partner getting an equal deal - it will be closer to the AAFL deal - where the league has to pay for coverage rather than the TV coverage cost being assumed by the network.  Any new XFL agreement will most likely cost the owners significantly more to produce the product - resulting in a failure.

The only successful way forward that I see is if the XFL is purchased by either Fox sports or ESPN out of bankruptcy and therefore the network as owners assume the TV contract and over promote the heck out of it - to get Ad dollars.

Edited by Rochesterfan

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Again, XFL ratings made the top 10 of TV games in each week. There are 26 parties vying to buy it from bankruptcy, so a bunch of people think it's worth it.

Again, that has little value to a network offering a rights contract for reasons repeatedly. 

But since you keep bringing it up:

For the week 3/2--3/8/20 (Week 5) there were 4 XFL games with ratings of 1.05, 0.94, 0.54, 0.48.  So even the highest rated game  was beaten by:

3 NBA games (including a Thursday and a Friday game)

2 days of the "Arnold Palmer Invitational" PGA

Fox NASCAR race (which, head to head against an XFL game on FS1) had more than 6 times the viewers.

3 NCAA basketball games.

The other 3 games weren't even close to top 10.

By FS1 game on Sunday (again, this is Week 5, when they should be growing an audience) afternoon was pulling in ratings on par with Seton Hall vs Creighton, TNT "All Elite Wrestling".  Fox does far better on Sunday's running reruns of Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family guy-each of which trounced the XFL game that day that had the highest number of viewers.

It was dead.  If they had played the full season, no one would be lining up to buy that business.  COVID was the best thing to happen to McMahon's reboot of his failed league, as he could exercise his (obviously ready-to-go)  "plan B" (fold his cards) when there could be some residual value imagined for this disaster.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to revive and old topic, but I thought I would post an update rather than start a new thread:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31776392/xfl-planning-2023-return-talks-partnership-cfl-tabled

"XFL planning 2023 return after talks on partnership with CFL tabled"

A few excerpts from the article:

"The XFL announced on Wednesday that it is planning to relaunch in 2023 after talks with the Canadian Football League about collaboration between the two leagues were tabled.

The XFL and CFL both said in separate statements that the decision was jointly reached between the leagues.

"Our talks with the XFL, exploring the potential for collaboration and innovation, have been positive and constructive. While we remain open to finding new ways to work together in the future, we and our XFL counterparts have jointly decided to not pursue any formal arrangements at this time," the CFL said in a statement.

After the CFL's announcement, the XFL announced on its website that it is returning in 2023 and not next year as was previously announced.

"While our discussions with the CFL did not ultimately lead to a collaboration, the effort reinforced our belief and commitment to developing the XFL for international spring football. We look forward to seeing everyone for kickoff in spring of 2023," the league said in a statement to the Sports Business Journal.

The CFL said it is set to open its 2021 regular season on Aug. 5 and hold its championship game, the Grey Cup, on Dec. 12 in Hamilton, Ontario."

Edited by chongli

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Sorry to revive and old topic, but I thought I would post an update rather than start a new thread:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31776392/xfl-planning-2023-return-talks-partnership-cfl-tabled

"XFL planning 2023 return after talks on partnership with CFL tabled"

A few excerpts from the article:

"The XFL announced on Wednesday that it is planning to relaunch in 2023 after talks with the Canadian Football League about collaboration between the two leagues were tabled.

The XFL and CFL both said in separate statements that the decision was jointly reached between the leagues.

"Our talks with the XFL, exploring the potential for collaboration and innovation, have been positive and constructive. While we remain open to finding new ways to work together in the future, we and our XFL counterparts have jointly decided to not pursue any formal arrangements at this time," the CFL said in a statement.

After the CFL's announcement, the XFL announced on its website that it is returning in 2023 and not next year as was previously announced.

"While our discussions with the CFL did not ultimately lead to a collaboration, the effort reinforced our belief and commitment to developing the XFL for international spring football. We look forward to seeing everyone for kickoff in spring of 2023," the league said in a statement to the Sports Business Journal.

The CFL said it is set to open its 2021 regular season on Aug. 5 and hold its championship game, the Grey Cup, on Dec. 12 in Hamilton, Ontario."

I think the Rock bit off a bit more than he could chew. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:53 PM, MiltonWaddams said:

You can only smell it because it’s cooked.

There's a story floating around that Toronto is thinking of moving to the XFL in 2023. I don't know if that's a good move for the Argos but it might take the CFL down.

Here it is.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/09/toronto-argonauts-could-land-in-the-xfl-eventually/

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There's a story floating around that Toronto is thinking of moving to the XFL in 2023. I don't know if that's a good move for the Argos but it might take the CFL down.

Here it is.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/09/toronto-argonauts-could-land-in-the-xfl-eventually/

Could is one of those speculation words reporters use when they do not have facts.

• Like (+1) 1