XFL Update: Fox expresses willingness to work with XFL 3.0, new owner, with modifications to deal

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe you have an unconventional definition of "monopoly" then.  

But McMahon's other problem is specifically because his lame league acted as a springboard for a dozen of it's best players, the talent each year will get worse and worse.  It's barely watchable now, except for the most hardcore and gamblers.  

I mean it's pretty standard. a monopoly in business is something that has the market cornered. If you want it you have to get it through them

And while the NFL isn't the only professional football league, it is basically the only professional football league

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean it's pretty standard. a monopoly in business is something that has the market cornered. If you want it you have to get it through them

And while the NFL isn't the only professional football league, it is basically the only professional football league

If the NFL had the market cornered, it would prevent any competing business by using illegal and unfair business practices.   Paying the best players the going rate for playing the best isn't exactly an unfair business practice.  In facts, the NFL hasn't altered it business practice in any way in response to competing leagues.   So in this regard it can't be described as a monopoly.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

Because, by definition sitcoms, movies and plays are NOT REAL. They are pure entertainment. I had to figure that out for you?

What McMahon deals in is like the fake "reality shows". Pretending to be real, but you know they are manipulated. I'm not sure why anyone watches that trash. It's up to them if they do, but don't confuse it with actual reality.  Unfortunately  many do.

Every person who watches WWE knows full well its scripted.  Not sure where you get its a fake reality show.  Its more a soap opera, with a whole lot of crazy, daring, physical talent.

People watch it for pure entertainment value.  Its funny, its raw, its physical, and the entire thing was built from the ground up by a self made millionaire genius, Vince McMahon. 

I love how people can be so jealous of the success of others that they point out every failure someone has in an attempt to downplay the massive success they've achieved. 

Pure entertainment.... 

https://youtu.be/iZ6maiFZ1bY

Edited by TwistofFate

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody who could be on an NFL roster would choose to go the XFL. It's a last-ditch resort for players, just like all the other Semi-Pro or "pro" league's now

Sure they exist, some pays players 100 bucks game. But the only real money is in the NFL and they got a monopoly on that money

The XFL had hot talk for a few weeks and even the marketing of Vince McMahon couldn't keep it float

Because there's no money in these smaller league's

Let's be fair here. Even the NBA, NHL and MLB couldn't keep it afloat because of the virus. McMahon shut the XFL down to save money because he could. Player unions are the only thing stopping those other league's from doing the same.

5 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Every person who watches WWE knows full well its scripted.  Not sure where you get its a fake reality show.  Its more a soap opera, with a whole lot of crazy, daring, physical talent.

People watch it for pure entertainment value.  Its funny, its raw, its physical, and the entire thing was built from the ground up by a self made millionaire genius, Vince McMahon. 

I love how people can be so jealous of the success of others that they point out every failure someone has in an attempt to downplay the massive success they've achieved. 

Pure entertainment.... 

https://youtu.be/iZ6maiFZ1bY

Why in the world do you think I'm jealous? Dunno where that comes from. I just have no use for the purveyors of low-brow stupidity. And I don't apply the label of "genius" to someone just because they are rich, were successful with one idea, etc. 

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Let's be fair here. Even the NBA, NHL and MLB couldn't keep it afloat because of the virus. McMahon shut the XFL down to save money because he could. Player unions are the only thing stopping those other league's from doing the same.

So you believe the XFL (2nd addition) was destined for success until the shutdown? Any data to back up that opinion? Just curious.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

All of those leagues have been shut down, regardless of their unions.

XFL shut down because it can't make money going forward.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Why in the world do you think I'm jealous? Dunno where that comes from. I just have no use for the purveyors of low-brow stupidity. And I don't apply the label of "genius" to someone just because they are rich, were successful with one idea, etc. 

So you believe the XFL (2nd addition) was destined for success until the shutdown? Any data to back up that opinion? Just curious.

no use for purveyors of low brow stupidity. 

you're on a site that promotes grown men playing a game for millions of dollars while drunken people crash through tables to show their fandom.  

29 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

no use for purveyors of low brow stupidity. 

you're on a site that promotes grown men playing a game for millions of dollars while drunken people crash through tables to show their fandom.  

And if someone attempted to make a TV series (or start some other useless money making scheme) concentrating on jumping through tables, getting completely smashed and  acting stupid (think a Bills-centric WorldStar) I'd have no use for that either. Is this really that hard for you to understand?

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

And if someone attempted to make a TV series (or start some other useless money making scheme) concentrating on jumping through tables, getting completely smashed and  acting stupid (think a Bills-centric WorldStar) I'd have no use for that either. Is this really that hard for you to understand?

nfl-game played by men for crazy money if they are able to do incredible feats of strength and skill on the field. plays are scriped and put on the field. those who execute those plays the best win. sound familiar

nfl fans crazy drunk and do insane ***** to show their fandom

whats so hard for you to understand?  the nfl and the wwe are closer then you think

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Absolutely. Yes, their ratings fell by half, but even at half they were regularly in the top ten rated sporting events every weekend, outperforming the NHL and most college basketball games.

• Like (+1) 1

I caught a few XFL games from this 2.0 version and while it had some gimmicky things I really enjoyed it for what it was. The failure was sadly actually out of their control as Covid made the league fiscally improbable to operate. I think this is a very corporate shark type move by McMahon to basically use bankruptcy protections to wipe any major liabilities from the league's books and then restart it having all the assets. 

Although I hope no one gets ***** over (They most certainly will) I hope McMahon is able to restart the league and be successful. The XFL 2.0 was fun and interesting and not in a gimmicky way. 

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Absolutely. Yes, their ratings fell by half, but even at half they were regularly in the top ten rated sporting events every weekend, outperforming the NHL and most college basketball games.

The XFL would have definitely had a chance to be successful. They just needed a decent paying TV deal after their current "try out" deal, and with the ratings they were pulling they could have gotten one. 

On 5/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

They fell in half...over the inaugural season's first 5 weeks...

The pandemic prevented them from approaching zero.

There's only one way to link the NFL and XFL:  the former should relegate its worst 2 teams every season down to the latter and make them claw their way back in by winning the XFL championship.

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They fell in half...over the inaugural season's first 5 weeks...

The pandemic prevented them from approaching zero.

There's only one way to link the NFL and XFL:  the former should relegate its worst 2 teams every season down to the latter and make them claw their way back in by winning the XFL championship.

Comparing TV ratings to something over 20 years ago makes zero sense given the change in the TV landscape.

They were not approaching 0. They stabled out to where, as others have said, were doing better than the NHL and college basketball at the same time.

24 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Comparing TV ratings to something over 20 years ago makes zero sense given the change in the TV landscape.

They were not approaching 0. They stabled out to where, as others have said, were doing better than the NHL and college basketball at the same time.

Good thing I didn't do that then.

This was the inaugural season of this incarnation of this XFL, and their ratings declined steadily until they were half of what they started with after just over a month.

Also, the drop from week 3 to 4 alone  was 17% and 4 to 5 was another 19%.  That's not what most observers in that industry would call "stabled out".  "Falling like a stone", more like it.

You are overlooking the obvious problem with your comparison  other products  like the NHL and college basketball:  they offer a massive slate of games for the networks that pay for the rights to broadcast (plus tournaments, playoffs, etc) that provide them with MONTHS of content to televise.  XFL has 4 games a week over 10 weeks.  That's not worth nearly a fraction of what NCAA and NHL are to the networks.  March Madness would have absolutely buried the XFL for good.

Too little product being watched by too few households to be worth enough to networks to offer what would keep this league alive for long.

Pretty simple.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, Justin C said:

Don't argue with WEO. He's just here to troll.

Meanwhile, Vince McMahon denies he's buying the XFL back...But there is going to be an asset sale. Someone will end up owing it. Any idea what Vince is up to?

https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/29224348/vince-mcmahon-says-try-buy-back-xfl-court-filing

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't argue with WEO. He's just here to troll.

Meanwhile, Vince McMahon denies he's buying the XFL back...But there is going to be an asset sale. Someone will end up owing it. Any idea what Vince is up to?

https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/29224348/vince-mcmahon-says-try-buy-back-xfl-court-filing

My guess is that the debt team were correct that he was hoping to scoop it up and have the debt load cleared for pennies on the dollar - allowing him another shot.  It sounds like the debt team filed a claim to prevent that and typically you have to get an agreement with the debt owners to come out of bankruptcy.  If the debt team blocks his bid or refuses to negotiate because they believe he is doing it to avoid payment - they can gum up the works.  Plus he took a huge amount of bad publicity for that - using the pandemic to avoid paying people the money they are owed.

If I had to guess - you will see someone buy it for near nothing and then somehow miraculously Vince will become a part of it again.  I will be interested in seeing if the networks offer the same type of deal or something closer to the AAFL television deal and can he get people to run the league as he royally screwed over Oliver Luck and many other former NFL people in executive and coaching positions.  At some point you burn a bridge to far.

I will also be interested in where teams play because it was obvious only a few places were invested.  NY, DC, LA, TB - were all sketchy- really Seattle and St. Louis were the bright spots.