XFL Update: Fox expresses willingness to work with XFL 3.0, new owner, with modifications to deal

I have been stating for weeks now I wonder how many team use bankruptcy just not to pay vendors right now. Too many companies use it to restructure vs how it was meant to be a last resort. I know this is not new but many companies will see everyone else doing it and use that as cover 

35 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

During time when XFL was playing starting in February? Not many.

I don't know. 20K? There are enough people who'd take any excuse to tailgate. But February weather?

Awesome! A complete POS human, who has already failed with TWO football leagues wants to resurrect another! Awesome!

I'd love a "minor league" for the NFL, but I hope they steer well clear of trash like McMahon who knows NOTHING of legitimate sports and is only concerned with theatre, as far as I can tell. A-holes with money screw a lot of things up.

7 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Awesome! A complete POS human, who has already failed with TWO football leagues wants to resurrect another! Awesome!

I'd love a "minor league" for the NFL, but I hope they steer well clear of trash like McMahon who knows NOTHING of legitimate sports and is only concerned with theatre, as far as I can tell. A-holes with money screw a lot of things up.

The NFL's a Monopoly. There is nothing and no league that could rival it

Vince McMahon is a genius. And I bet he'd be a great NFL commissioner

He's just in a losing battle. Because you can't compete with the NFL today

Edited by Buffalo716

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Now there's a word that's become so watered-down it's almost meaningless. 

In what way is he a "genius?. Is he currently working on a cure for the Coronavirus? 

I understand there are various kinds of intelligence, but con-man intelligence doesn't qualify as "genius" in my book.  

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

In what way is he a "genius?. Is he currently working on a cure for the Coronavirus? 

I understand there are various kinds of intelligence, but con-man intelligence doesn't qualify as "genius" in my book.  

genius= unimpeded by ethical constraints 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Dean said:

You just said it yourself. There are a million kinds of genius

He is a marketing genius. Not a con man

He isn't selling a miracle elixir , he isn't a snake oil salesman selling a cure..  He is a promoter and a marketer

And a marketing and promoting genius at that. Anybody who's close to him uses that word , he built an empire 

You don't have to be elite at quantum physics to be a genius because there are many forms of genius

Yes the words watered down, because everybody thinks they're one.. Vince McMahon actually is and has fruits to show

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He isn't selling a miracle elixir , he isn't a snake oil salesman selling a cure..  He is a promoter and a marketer

And a marketing and promoting genius at that. Anybody who's close to him uses that word , he built an empire 

You don't have to be elite at quantum physics to be a genius because there are many forms of genius

Yes the words watered down, because everybody thinks they're one.. Vince McMahon actually is and has fruits to show

That's a pretty fine line of distinction, IMO. Marketing (almost by definition) = con, IMO.  He's marketing GARBAGE A fake sport. 

Tell me how many other ventures he's succeeded with.  Let's start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_McMahon#Other_business_dealings

Being successful once is hardly genius--again, IMO.  In order to keep this thread from PPP I'll refrain from bring up the obvious example to compare him to.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

there is nothing genius about a wealthy person Filing bankruptcy on a failed business then buying it back for pennies on the dollar.

It’s exploiting the system and Taxpayers ultimately will end up subsidizing the loss by someone who isn’t remotely close to bankrupt (financially anyway) 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Dean said:

That's a pretty fine line of distinction, IMO. Marketing (almost by definition) = con, IMO.  He's marketing GARBAGE A fake sport. 

Being successful once is hardly genius--again, IMO.  In order to keep this thread from PPP I'll refrain from bring up the obvious example to compare him to.

He really doesn't need other ventures to succeed in. You don't ask a pediatrician to do brain surgery

His brand and everything he built is all he needs because it is worldwide. His other ventures we're just Gamble's to him because he could do it

The WWE is his life's work and he's built that into a billion dollar industry

Not saying he's the smartest man in the world. But he is a great marketer and made WWE worldwide and a billion dollar business

If there was ever a promotional genius it be Vince McMahon

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

there is nothing genius about a wealthy person Filing bankruptcy on a failed business then buying it back for pennies on the dollar.

It’s exploiting the system and Taxpayers ultimately will end up subsidizing the loss by someone who isn’t remotely close to bankrupt (financially anyway) 

While it's scummy

It's exactly how I would expect a genius to behave. Since they are usually all about the bottom line

If you can get it back for pennies on the dollar, it's absolutely a genius move

Even if it's screws all of us, it's smart on his part and exactly what I'd expect a genius to do. 

Besides I don't think most billionaires care about us. If they could exploit the system I think they definitely will and do

I said nothing about him as a person, just about his marketing and promoting expertise over his career

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Dean said:

was edison a con man?  according to him he just found 1000 ways that won't work.   people fail at things all the time. not one genius has nailed every single thing

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

was edison a con man?  according to him he just found 1000 ways that won't work.   people fail at things all the time. not one genius has nailed every single thing

Edison was partly con-man, but also may have been a genius. (the two aren't mutually exclusive). He didn't just have ONE idea and ONE success, that he kept trying to monetize. He had MANY ideas. Some failed. No problem. Failure is important, IF you acknowledge the failure and learn from it.

Tesla was a genius---and perhaps a bit crazy. He was a terrible marketer.

McMahon is entirely reliant on his WWF (fake sport for stupid people) success. Even with his first XFL he tried to push the garbage "entertainment" factors before considering the important SPORTS aspect. He is completely wrong for a truly "minor league" for the NFL. That should be run as close to the NFL as possible. The NFL might want to experiment a bit with it, but the WWF nonsense has no place in it.  I'm all for transparent honesty and integrity. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's just in a losing battle. Because you can't compete with the NFL today

Isn't this endless stream of alternative pro football leagues proof that it's not a monopoly?  All these teams had full rosters of pro football players that were free to play in the NFL if they were worthy (many had).

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes, such a marketing genius that his F league was swirling the TV ratings toilet 5 weeks into the season before a pandemic put his (reincarnated) clown show to a painless early, and fully predicted, death.

His problem with this crapfest is that the one group of people he can't con are network executives who know a dead dog when they smell it.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Edison was partly con-man, but also may have been a genius. (the two aren't mutually exclusive). He didn't just have ONE idea and ONE success, that he kept trying to monetize. He had MANY ideas. Some failed. No problem. Failure is important, IF you acknowledge the failure and learn from it.

Tesla was a genius---and perhaps a bit crazy. He was a terrible marketer.

McMahon is entirely reliant on his WWF (fake sport for stupid people) success. Even with his first XFL he tried to push the garbage "entertainment" factors before considering the important SPORTS aspect. He is completely wrong for a truly "minor league" for the NFL. That should be run as close to the NFL as possible. The NFL might want to experiment a bit with it, but the WWF nonsense has no place in it.  I'm all for transparent honesty and integrity. 

what makes what he does different from sitcoms, movies or plays?  nobody thinks it's real. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Isn't this endless stream of alternative pro football leagues proof that it's not a monopoly?  All these teams had full rosters of pro football players that were free to play in the NFL if they were worthy (many had).

Yes, such a marketing genius that his F league was swirling the TV ratings toilet 5 weeks into the season before a pandemic put his (reincarnated) clown show to a painless early, and fully predicted, death.

His problem with this crapfest is that the one group of people he can't con are network executives who know a dead dog when they smell it.

Nobody who could be on an NFL roster would choose to go the XFL. It's a last-ditch resort for players, just like all the other Semi-Pro or "pro" league's now

Sure they exist, some pays players 100 bucks game. But the only real money is in the NFL and they got a monopoly on that money

The XFL had hot talk for a few weeks and even the marketing of Vince McMahon couldn't keep it float

Because there's no money in these smaller league's

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody who could be on an NFL roster would choose to go the XFL. It's a last-ditch resort for players, just like all the other Semi-Pro or "pro" league's now

Sure they exist, some pays players 100 bucks game. But the only real money is in the NFL and they got a monopoly on that money

The XFL had hot talk for a few weeks and even the marketing of Vince McMahon couldn't keep it float

Because there's no money in these smaller league's

huh?

The XFL players' lack of elite skill is what's preventing them from getting that NFL money.  So it's not the NFL that has "got a monopoly on that money", it's the  NFL players.  The NFL isn't preventing McMahon from paying his rosters "NFL money".  The USFL began by doing just that to it's top players.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

huh?

The XFL players' lack of elite skill is what's preventing them from getting that NFL money.  So it's not the NFL that has "got a monopoly on that money", it's the  NFL players.

Exactly why the NFL as a football league is like on Monopoly.

Nobody wants to watch water downed football

There are dozens and dozens of Semi-Pro leagues that exist. Nobody cares because there's not talent

The NFL has talent so it has the money and the ratings and the contracts. It's not the seventies anymore so there will never be another rival to push the NFL

The NFL pretty much does have a monopoly on professional football. But there is college football from division 1 to division 3

Heck high School football in Texas is King.. so there will always be football

But there's only 1 professional football league that matters

13 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

what makes what he does different from sitcoms, movies or plays?  nobody thinks it's real. 

Because, by definition sitcoms, movies and plays are NOT REAL. They are pure entertainment. I had to figure that out for you?

What McMahon deals in is like the fake "reality shows". Pretending to be real, but you know they are manipulated. I'm not sure why anyone watches that trash. It's up to them if they do, but don't confuse it with actual reality.  Unfortunately  many do.

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly why the NFL as a football league is like on Monopoly.

Nobody wants to watch water downed football

There are dozens and dozens of Semi-Pro leagues that exist. Nobody cares because there's not talent

The NFL has talent so it has the money and the ratings and the contracts. It's not the seventies anymore so there will never be another rival to push the NFL

The NFL pretty much does have a monopoly on professional football. But there is college football from division 1 to division 3

Heck high School football in Texas is King.. so there will always be football

But there's only 1 professional football league that matters

Maybe you have an unconventional definition of "monopoly" then.  

But McMahon's other problem is specifically because his lame league acted as a springboard for a dozen of it's best players, the talent each year will get worse and worse.  It's barely watchable now, except for the most hardcore and gamblers.