Can Stefon Diggs Emerge as a Superstar in Buffalo?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hill and Kelce are superstars.

And I know what the Bills as a team that goes 8 for 80 with Beasley they are a 21 point offense. If we want them to be more than that it comes down to can they make maximum use of this elite weapon they have just added. It isn't a knock on Beasley or Brown. They are good players. But if this offense is going to take off then it needs to take off by using Stefon Diggs early and often. He needs to be the focal point of the game plan offensively and they need to have ways to get him touches.

I think the folks in Buffalo have gone so long without a good offense they forgot what they look like. 

Stefon Diggs should not be used in this offense like John Brown was last year. He should not be gameplanned like Smoke was because players like Smoke, while a fine player, hits FA twice in 3 years, and players like Diggs get traded for 1st rounders.

Diggs is a weapon that the Bills haven’t had anything like in years. You don’t trade for a Stefon Diggs so you can target him 4 times for 36 yards. You trade for Stefon Diggs and your goal should be around 10 targets a game. You do this because with 10 targets, he will deliver 3-4 game changing plays. Because that’s what you paid for.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Oliver will probably be suspended for the 1st two games. I am expecting Oliver to have a big year.

Probably not till next year.

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think the folks in Buffalo have gone so long without a good offense they forgot what they look like. 

Stefon Diggs should not be used in this offense like John Brown was last year. He should not be gameplanned like Smoke was because players like Smoke, while a fine player, hits FA twice in 3 years, and players like Diggs get traded for 1st rounders.

Diggs is a weapon that the Bills haven’t had anything like in years. You don’t trade for a Stefon Diggs so you can target him 4 times for 36 yards. You trade for Stefon Diggs and your goal should be around 10 targets a game. You do this because with 10 targets, he will deliver 3-4 game changing plays. Because that’s what you paid for.

I like Diggs, I like the trade. 

But Allen wasn't missing on his deep throws because Diggs wasn't running the route.  He was just plain overthrowing people.  And if John Brown couldn't run under the throw, Diggs wouldn't either.

Diggs can do much more than run deep patters( as can John Brown), but the deep ball is still a big part of his game. He was the premier deep threat in the NFL last year, he had something like 10 catches of over 40 yards.  I went back a month ago to see how many were actually short catches that he took the house. Most were catches where the ball was thrown at least 30 yards from the LOS. The yardage from those catches was between 400 and 500 yards, I think and 4 of his 6 Tds.

Take away those long receptions and he has about 700-800 yards and 2 tds.  Nice numbers but nothing to get giddy about.

By contrast, if Allen hit on some of the deep balls he threw to Brown last year, his yardage numbers increase by 200 yards minimum, putting him at around 1200 for the year and a few more Tds.

Stating the obvious, Allen needs to fix that part of his game, or the talents of 2 WRs will be wasted. I don't want Diggs stuck to running 10 yard comebacks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Diggs COULD be the best WR in Bills history. Which would really be saying something, since we've had some stellar WR's.

The man has serious talent.  Allen needs to develop that chemistry w/ him that the great QB/WR combo's have always had.

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of factors that people smarter than me can opine one will come into play—what does Daboll do with JA in year three, how does he maximize the skill set Diggs has and I’m VERY interested to see how Diggs handles himself.

A lot of people were so excited to get a WR of his caliber that there seemed to be a lot who excused the way Diggs handled himself with the Vikes.  I’m very concerned with Diggs’ attitude and how that will affect JA if he decides he’s unhappy with the way he’s ultimately used and also how he deals with playing with a young developing QB.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-stefon-diggs-parted-because-of-irreconcilable-differences/568885742/

https://www.cover1.net/diggs-addition-a-calculated-risk-in-the-bills-process/

I just don’t get “The Process” (football culture) vibe from Diggs and the tremendous positive impact of that culture in the locker room is a driving force in regard to our success.  I hope my concerns were misplaced 3am cabin fever insomnia! 

He already is a superstar. The real question is, can he maintain it here?

On 5/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, Success said:

Diggs COULD be the best WR in Bills history. Which would really be saying something, since we've had some stellar WR's.

The man has serious talent.  Allen needs to develop that chemistry w/ him that the great QB/WR combo's have always had.

He certainly has the talent, but Reed had Kelly, Thurman and a great OL. Diggs won't have the same advantages

On 5/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, StHustle said:

I didn't realize this. Beane is a true Wizard! Of course there is no way to keep this going for much longer but wow, what a young, talented, cap-friendly team we have. We are set up to be contenders for years to come. I am hoping to see Patriot like dominance in this division and in the NFL for the next 2 decades. WE DESERVE IT!!! 

You're right, this won't continue long.

We're only in this cap position because our franchise QB is cheap--and that contract ends in a couple years.

You're right (number 2) WE DESERVE IT

I think Diggs will be a superstar here if he stays long term. IMO I think Allen has potential to be better than Kelly. Kelly had Lofton and Reed and Thurman and still couldn’t get it done. While I think Kelly was a great QB, he was overrated to some extent. Kelly also had Bruce on the defense as well!  If Allen had a Bruce Smith on this D I’m almost positive we’d win a Super Bowl with our current roster. 

On 5/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, Shaw66 said:

He had 5 or 6 games like that last year alone.   No receivers string 100 yard games all season long.    

He's definitely going to have games under 50 yards.   

stfu

: D

On 5/21/2020 at 5:46 PM, CookieG said:

I like Diggs, I like the trade. 

But Allen wasn't missing on his deep throws because Diggs wasn't running the route.  He was just plain overthrowing people.  And if John Brown couldn't run under the throw, Diggs wouldn't either.

Diggs can do much more than run deep patters( as can John Brown), but the deep ball is still a big part of his game. He was the premier deep threat in the NFL last year, he had something like 10 catches of over 40 yards.  I went back a month ago to see how many were actually short catches that he took the house. Most were catches where the ball was thrown at least 30 yards from the LOS. The yardage from those catches was between 400 and 500 yards, I think and 4 of his 6 Tds.

Take away those long receptions and he has about 700-800 yards and 2 tds.  Nice numbers but nothing to get giddy about.

By contrast, if Allen hit on some of the deep balls he threw to Brown last year, his yardage numbers increase by 200 yards minimum, putting him at around 1200 for the year and a few more Tds.

Stating the obvious, Allen needs to fix that part of his game, or the talents of 2 WRs will be wasted. I don't want Diggs stuck to running 10 yard comebacks.

yep ! agreed.

I am pretty sure Diggs and Daboll and Allen had some talks before the deal. Why Diggs said he was excited to come to Buffalo

On 5/24/2020 at 2:32 PM, GreggTX said:

He already is a superstar. The real question is, can he maintain it here?

He certainly has the talent, but Reed had Kelly, Thurman and a great OL. Diggs won't have the same advantages

Hmmmm....

On 5/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, Shaw66 said:

He had 5 or 6 games like that last year alone.   No receivers string 100 yard games all season long.    

He's definitely going to have games under 50 yards.   

Probably a few. But brown only had like 2 maybe 3 games all year where he didn't get 50 yards

And Diggs will get atleast that many targets