Can Stefon Diggs Emerge as a Superstar in Buffalo?

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s the point though. We are hardly an untalented team at this stage in the game, and we have very little large contracts. Our next 3 years should see this team continue to rise and not fall.

The Bills should be able to contend the rest of Josh's rookie deal. But beyond the next 2-3 seasons where the team can take advantage of not paying a QB the Bills fortunes longer term (The next decade plus) are going to rest on how good Josh is (how good McBeane can draft longer term too but Josh is the lynchpin.) If Josh is a top 5 QB by 2021 then this team will be in a decade of consistent playoff appearances and contention for a long time. 

If Josh can't get past being a mid-level or even upper mid-level QB then the team will only contend in the short term when Josh is occupying a low percentage of the team's cap. So it all simply comes down to how good is Josh?

Great read! Thanks. The praise for both Beane and Diggs are well deserved imo.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Harrison Phillips is coming back and we still have Star. Oliver was a top 10 pick! Edmunds has been getting better and better and soon will be considered an elite MLB

I don't think it makes sense to worry about the defensive line or the defense in general.

This. Phillips(meatball jr.) and our free agency adds make me less worried about run D.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Bottom line is that cap dollars saved is not a metric that should be lauded too much.  No one gets extra draft picks or wins by saving there.

This. This. And this again. 

This board is in love with cap space. Cap space is a means to get good players. It is better to have the good players than the cap space. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think so. He will be the #1 WR, but there are many other options to spread the ball around. He will be a superstar if he scores a bunch of TDs or has some highlight reel catches. He will not be a top 10 stats guy except in YPC. With Knox, Brown, Beasley, Kroft, and Singletary there are too many weapons to justify feeding the ball to Diggs. 

Daboll just needs to get Diggs involved in the offense early in games.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

That’s the point though. We are hardly an untalented team at this stage in the game, and we have very little large contracts. Our next 3 years should see this team continue to rise and not fall.

Average or slightly above average overall talent typically delivers similar results.  One can say there are no weaknesses, but what are the strengths?  I would say the secondary is strong and the front 7 is stout.  On offense, the receivers from 1-3 are very good, but the OL is relatively average or slightly above.

I'm not concerned right now about the cap situation in 2021 and beyond.  They will be handing out large contracts if their home-grown players can shed their label of having "potential" to those regarded as legit outstanding talent.  Who really cares what their cap hit is anyway?  It's not like the league is rewarding teams for saving.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills should be able to contend the rest of Josh's rookie deal. But beyond the next 2-3 seasons where the team can take advantage of not paying a QB the Bills fortunes longer term (The next decade plus) are going to rest on how good Josh is (how good McBeane can draft longer term too but Josh is the lynchpin.) If Josh is a top 5 QB by 2021 then this team will be in a decade of consistent playoff appearances and contention for a long time. 

If Josh can't get past being a mid-level or even upper mid-level QB then the team will only contend in the short term when Josh is occupying a low percentage of the team's cap. So it all simply comes down to how good is Josh?

Well of course the level of QB play matters. But from a team building perspective, you have a few stages:

1. Rookie or cheap deal difference makers under contract. Positions like QB, LT, pass rusher, skill players who are mostly cheap. Usually have a lot of cap space. 

2. Big deals starting to be handed out to maintain the positions above, may have to find some discount players to round out the roster.

3. Big deals at all or most of the positions above, have to shed salary in certain areas to maintain flexibility.

That’s without taking into talent, level of play, regression etc. The Bills are in the process of exiting 1 and entering 2. Ideally that is your Super Bowl window time. None of this is law or anything as we all know, like Nick Bosa on a max deal is better than Hughes on a discounted deal, but that’s the general idea.

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Average or slightly above average overall talent typically delivers similar results.  One can say there are no weaknesses, but what are the strengths?  I would say the secondary is strong and the front 7 is stout.  On offense, the receivers from 1-3 are very good, but the OL is relatively average or slightly above.

I'm not concerned right now about the cap situation in 2021 and beyond.  They will be handing out large contracts if their home-grown players can shed their label of having "potential" to those regarded as legit outstanding talent.  Who really cares what their cap hit is anyway?  It's not like the league is rewarding teams for saving.  

We shouldn’t be concerned about cap space going forward. We largely have our difference makers in key positions already set for our SB window. And that’s not talking potential. Diggs and White are proven. Dawkins is a good LT.  We are missing a pass rusher but it’s not always a perfect formula. Then it’s just the QB left.

If Allen takes another step into the top 15 QB area, we will not be considered a slightly above average team without any weaknesses. We will be one of the best teams in the NFL.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Harrison Phillips is coming back and we still have Star. Oliver was a top 10 pick! Edmunds has been getting better and better and soon will be considered an elite MLB

I don't think it makes sense to worry about the defensive line or the defense in general.

The defense (psss especially) couldn't close out games last year after the offense took the lead.  They gave up TDs.   Browns and Patriots games come to mind

41 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The defense (psss especially) couldn't close out games last year after the offense took the lead.  They gave up TDs.   Browns and Patriots games come to mind

Steelers too. I remember all those TD’s Duck was throwing to Jordan Poyer. Oh wait.

9 hours ago, beavis said:

I'm very worried about the run defense. Jerry Hughes gets no favors from the officials. Edmunds has trouble shedding blockers. Oliver is showing everyone why he dropped. Phillips and Lawson gone. Lorax retired. So it's a complete rebuild. Watch the game, and it's all mistakes. Penalities. Getting the play in. Lining up. And new people have to learn all that.

If other teams run the ball all day, offense has less chances to score.

The Beavis name fits

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This. This. And this again. 

This board is in love with cap space. Cap space is a means to get good players. It is better to have the good players than the cap space. 

I think it is no so much the cap space as it is biulding a quality team AND how Beane was able to work with the cap space

This team not only has quality starters it is DEEP........it could survive (except at maybe 2 positions) an injury to a starter

And it is biult for sustained success for a number of years because of solid drafting, good work with the cap space, and key free agents that didnt break the bank.

A far cry from how we used to do it.

Stefon Diggs is the real mccoy, we haven't had a receiver here as good as him in quite a long time. I think between him and brown it's a nasty 1 2 bills are going to be better on the O this season. Just hope the D keeps going at that elite level.

Edited by BillsFan692

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The Beavis name fits

I think it is no so much the cap space as it is biulding a quality team AND how Beane was able to work with the cap space

This team not only has quality starters it is DEEP........it could survive (except at maybe 2 positions) an injury to a starter

And it is biult for sustained success for a number of years because of solid drafting, good work with the cap space, and key free agents that didnt break the bank.

A far cry from how we used to do it.

John they haven't paid anyone yet. If you are not paying anyone and can't build a deep roster then you are incompetent. We know Beane isn't incompetent but he isn't a cap space genius. He just hasn't paid anyone. 

define superstar ??...top 3 ? top 5 in league ?

emerge ?  diggs is already a consensus top 15 WR in league

i say he's easily in top 10

i don't see him getting the amount of targets needed to become a Top 5 guy in a spread it around buffalo offense

so my answer is NO on the superstar....but i do think he will be an alternate pro bowl level player....that's pretty darn good

This offense is going to have multiple playmakers. The ball is going to be spread around too much for Diggs to have elite numbers, unless Josh turns into Mahomes and we are putting up 35pts a game. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

This offense is going to have multiple playmakers. The ball is going to be spread around too much for Diggs to have elite numbers, unless Josh turns into Mahomes and we are putting up 35pts a game. 

I'm intrigued as to who you think all these other playmakers are? Last season Brown had a thousand yards, Beasley had just under 800. Dawson Knox was the next best with 388. Diggs is going to take some of Brown's targets and he will take targets that didn't exist last year (ie the use of a 2nd genuine outside receiver). He may even eat into Beasley's targets a little if the Bills get creative and move him around. I guess I just think the Bills should be throwing to Diggs 8-10 times every game. He is a guy they should make an effort to feature. If I am coordinating against the Bills next year and Diggs goes 3 for 45 but Beasley has 8 for 80 I think I have won that battle. I like Beas, he is a good slot receiver, but if the Bills are going to truly become a dangerous NFL offense they are going to have to feature Stefon Diggs and sometimes that will mean forcing the ball to him, because he is the only elite playmaker on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If he puts up numbers, he will be.  And that’s my worry.  Diggs could play major role in the offense and not have the numbers to show for it.  Julio Jones’ numbers don’t come close to reflecting what he means to the Falcons.  Diggs should draw coverage to help out other receivers but will he happy doing that? He wasn’t in Minnesota.  I think it could be a Disaster if Allen has to force him the ball.  

It's comforting to me that you find reasons to worry about even the good things that happen to the Bills.

You should stay inside today.  It might rain pianos.

• Haha (+1) 1