Pete Prisco's top 100 players of the NFL. (CBS Sports)

21 hours ago, BillsVet said:

My concern is their lack of top end talent will show up against better opponents.  Depth is nice, but over the season those players will not consistently provide a matchup disadvantage.  A good scheme and better in-game decisions may help offset this, but it’s a long season and their schedule likely will be more challenging in 2020. 

The top end talent was drafted already.  It's up to them to step into that national conversation.  Winning and playing well on national TV will help cement that status if they  do.  Allen, Edmunds, Dawkins and Oliver are supposed to be that talent.  White is already there.  Diggs is already there.  Milano was supposed to be a player that hopefully contributed in some way based on draft position, but he's included himself in the list of difference makers.  I'd argue Edmunds is close to being top end.  He's very good already and still has another level to reach. 

If Allen, Dawkins and Oliver go from flashes to consistent play in and play out the Bills won't have much trouble with any team.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, whatdrought said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pete-priscos-top-100-nfl-players-of-2020-patrick-mahomes-takes-top-spot-lamar-jackson-cracks-top-10/

Two bills make the list: 

White listed as the third CB behind Gilmore at 6, and Ramsey at 26. 

Diggs is the 13th WR behind some obvious inclusions such ad Thomas, Hill, Hopkins, etc, and some really questionable ones such as AJ Green, JuJu, and OBJ. 

Not one Bill mentioned in the "just missed category." though WR's like DJ Moore, Allen Robinson, and Devante Parker get mentioned while I think Brown is equal to those guys. Also, Safties like Marcus Williams and Eddie Jackson get mentioned with no mention of Poyer or Hyde. 

Not that I should be surprised, but definitely some questionable choices as far as Bills recognition goes. White was better than Ramsey last year, and even if you give Ramsey the nod due to his body of work, I still don't see him being twice as good as White as the numbers suggest. Plus, if we're looking at entire careers then it's hard to put Gilmore so high. Also, AJ Green over Diggs feels like a clear mistake. 

But what should be expected from someone who considers White a "Good man cover player"?

Couldn't put too much time into reading this after seeing McCaffrey snubbed as the league's best player...:cry:

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

The top end talent was drafted already.  It's up to them to step into that national conversation.  Winning and playing well on national TV will help cement that status if they  do.  Allen, Edmunds, Dawkins and Oliver are supposed to be that talent.  White is already there.  Diggs is already there.  Milano was supposed to be a player that hopefully contributed in some way based on draft position, but he's included himself in the list of difference makers.  I'd argue Edmunds is close to being top end.  He's very good already and still has another level to reach. 

If Allen, Dawkins and Oliver go from flashes to consistent play in and play out the Bills won't have much trouble with any team.

This thread was about top 100 players according to one NFL writer.  Buffalo features 2 players, one drafted and one acquired via trade.  Both happen to play on the outside at the premier positions. 

There are a few issues intersecting here.  First is that you need elite talent at those premier positions: QB, LT, WR, DE, and CB.  There's hope for Allen, Diggs, Tre, but then who at those positions on this roster is in-place as Pro Bowl/All-Pro worthy?  Second, they have a lot of nice players, but no one that stands out aside from the 2 mentioned on Prisco's list. 

We can debate individual players ad nauseam.  Point is that the 2019 Bills featured 1 starting Pro Bowl player and 1 alternate and they need a lot more than that to be successful in the post-season.

And who's all of a sudden talking about quality of play on national TV?  That isn't part of this specific conversation. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The roster has been built to fit the coach’s strategy, vision, and to ensure a solid culture.  I like that they’ve improved depth and probably better able to withstand injuries.   

My concern is their lack of top end talent will show up against better opponents.  Depth is nice, but over the season those players will not consistently provide a matchup disadvantage.  A good scheme and better in-game decisions may help offset this, but it’s a long season and their schedule likely will be more challenging in 2020. 

It comes down to Allen’s improvement to be a force multiplier on offense.  Hopefully he is up to the task and can get the ball to Diggs and others to improve that side of the ball.  I hope McD isn’t going to just expect the defense and a conservative offense will get them deep into the playoffs. 

I'd suggest the Bills have "top end talent" at CB, S, LB, DL, WR, RB, and (hopefully) QB.  The only areas without names who jump off the page are OL/TE -- and some might even consider Morse and Dawkins "top end."

This argument that the Bills are just a collection of good hard working players without any flash is a falsity.  They've been developing a raw young QB and building the team around him -- the 2020 Bills are as talented as just about anyone, from top to bottom.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

This thread was about top 100 players according to one NFL writer.  Buffalo features 2 players, one drafted and one acquired via trade.  Both happen to play on the outside at the premier positions. 

There are a few issues intersecting here.  First is that you need elite talent at those premier positions: QB, LT, WR, DE, and CB.  There's hope for Allen, Diggs, Tre, but then who at those positions on this roster is in-place as Pro Bowl/All-Pro worthy?  Second, they have a lot of nice players, but no one that stands out aside from the 2 mentioned on Prisco's list. 

We can debate individual players ad nauseam.  Point is that the 2019 Bills featured 1 starting Pro Bowl player and 1 alternate and they need a lot more than that to be successful in the post-season.

And who's all of a sudden talking about quality of play on national TV?  That isn't part of this specific conversation. 

My point was that the players people are saying are missing are already potentially  on the roster.  They need to take the next step to get to the point where they might be included on this list.  Also, playing well in national spotlights will feed the perception that they might belong.  Tre White played well on Thanksgiving and Sunday night last season.  Helps public perception and that of writers who don't watch the Bills like Bills fans do.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:54 PM, StHustle said:

That list is shaky at best.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.  That means on average  there should be a little over 3 players out of the top 100 per team.  If the Bills were an average team, you would expect  there would be 3, but the Bills according to most are better than average now.  They are thought by many to be likely division champions and in the top three teams in the AFC.  If you think the Bills are that good, you either have to figure they have more than three in the top 100 list, or Sean McDermott is a leading candidate for coach of the year.