NFL's next great dynasty? Chiefs, Cowboys, Bills among candidates

5 hours ago, Blue on Blue said:

This is written by Adam Schein. He is a Bills homer 

4 hours ago, ny33 said:

I knew Schein was very bullish on Buffalo, but had no idea that he voted for McDermott as Coach of the Year. 

He’s always been bullish, even in the Rex/Marrone years 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

My top 6:

1. Chiefs

2. Ravens

3. 49ers

4. Bills

5. Cowboys

6. Browns

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like this list. Nice work GB

As I wrote in my post, I just cant see the Cowboys as a candidate for a "dynasty".  Candidate for a near term Super Bowl, sure.  Dynasty is multiple Super Bowls and with all the money they have invested in Copper and Zeke, plus they would have to invest even more in Dak...I just dont see who they can keep a competitive team for a sustained period to win multiple SB and be labeled a dynasty.

Add in that McCarthy struggled to win more with Rodgers (who is clearly quite better than Dak as Rodgers is one of the GOATS of his generation) because he could never field a complete team, especially on defense, and I just don't see them as a "dynasty" candidate.  I think the defense is going to pay the price for all the money spent on the offense, and its likely to mirror the same fate of Rodgers and GB have had for most of his career.  I expect Dallas to remain competitive for a while, but a dynasty is multiple SB championships and I think that is an uphill battle the way they are built and run.  

The only way I can see Dallas having a shot at a dynasty is if they hit a lot on their draft picks on the defensive side of the ball every year.  And does anyone really trust Jerry Jones in that regard, especially on defense?  I just don't have that faith in him as a GM to find affordable talent consistently in the draft for that defense.  

Other than that GB, your list is exactly the same as mine, except I have Bills at 3 and niners and browns at 4 and 5.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As I wrote in my post, I just cant see the Cowboys as a candidate for a "dynasty".  Candidate for a near term Super Bowl, sure.  Dynasty is multiple Super Bowls and with all the money they have invested in Copper and Zeke, plus they would have to invest even more in Dak...I just dont see who they can keep a competitive team for a sustained period to win multiple SB and be labeled a dynasty.

Add in that McCarthy struggled to win more with Rodgers (who is clearly quite better than Dak as Rodgers is one of the GOATS of his generation) because he could never field a complete team, especially on defense, and I just don't see them as a "dynasty" candidate.  I think the defense is going to pay the price for all the money spent on the offense, and its likely to mirror the same fate of Rodgers and GB have had for most of his career.  I expect Dallas to remain competitive for a while, but a dynasty is multiple SB championships and I think that is an uphill battle the way they are built and run.  

The only way I can see Dallas having a shot at a dynasty is if they hit a lot on their draft picks on the defensive side of the ball every year.  And does anyone really trust Jerry Jones in that regard, especially on defense?  I just don't have that faith in him as a GM to find affordable talent consistently in the draft for that defense.  

Other than that GB, your list is exactly the same as mine, except I have Bills at 3 and niners and browns at 4 and 5.  

They wouldn’t have to invest a bigger cap hold than Dak currently has. With Zeke and Cooper under contract and Lamb on a rookie deal their skill players are here for a while. Maybe the defense pays the price but the key players on this team are under contract for years. If they keep drafting like they did this year they will remain talented.

Who specifically are you concerned about them losing? When I look at Sportrac I see a team in pretty good cap shape still. Maybe I’m wrong but it doesn’t look bad. They will need to sign Vander Esch but that shouldn’t be a problem.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m amazed that people are so down on Dallas. They have a ton of talent, a great draft, WAY better coaching and play in the worst division in the league. 

We're going to see.  McCarthy played a huge part in wasting a large portion of Aaron Rodgers' prime years.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

We're going to see.  McCarthy played a huge part in wasting a large portion of Aaron Rodgers' prime years.

Oh I’m not even sure McCarthy is ok. That shows how I feel about Garrett. He was Freddie Kitchens bad last year.

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dallas have so many good young players. Yes coaching remains a question, McCarthy might not be a great coach but he is a decent coach and will be better than Garrett. 

People talk a lot about Dak and Zeke but Zack Martin, La'el Collins, LVE, Jaylon Smith, Gallup, Cooper (although I don't love the contract they did), and then an excellent draft class. Lots and lots of young talent tied up for their best years. Yes they haven't got cap but so what? They have got elite players. And they have been one of the best drafting teams of the last decade. Once Jerry parked his ego and let Will McClay run the show their draft performance immediately improved. 

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dallas have so many good young players. Yes coaching remains a question, McCarthy might not be a great coach but he is a decent coach and will be better than Garrett. 

People talk a lot about Dak and Zeke but Zack Martin, La'el Collins, LVE, Jaylon Smith, Gallup, Cooper (although I don't love the contract they did), and then an excellent draft class. Lots and lots of young talent tied up for their best years. Yes they haven't got cap but so what? They have got elite players. And they have been one of the best drafting teams of the last decade. Once Jerry parked his ego and let Will McClay run the show their draft performance immediately improved. 

Im just skeptical they can keep it in tact personally.  And I think Jerry Jones is not a good GM overall and won't manage this team well.  And I do agree McCarthy is better than Garrett who should have been fired a while ago.  

The same things youre saying about the Cowboys were said about the Rams a few years ago...and now Rams are already seeing a down turn without winning anything as a result.  

Jerry Jones loves shiney objects and I do not think he will manage a thin cap well at all.  Again, talent is there on this roster, so not saying they cant be really good near term...conversation is about sustained dominance in terms of a dynasty.  And I just don't trust Jones to pull another dynasty off.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

"The Patriot Way" probably goes something like this: "If you want to win a Super Bowl, come sign with us. But you'll have to take less salary to make it work. Here we focus on the team over the individual." THAT'S the secret to the NE dynasty. Tom Brady's average cap hit over his 20 years in NE was just under $12,000,000. It probably would've been twice that anywhere else. And he's just the most prominent example. Almost every quality Patriot over the past 20 years was underpaid. And they're roster was solid to dominant every year.

Belichick gets away with it, because he's Belichick: a winning GM/coach, but an ####### with a heart of stone, and everybody knows it. Anybody else, and the players would tell him to go pound sand.

Nowadays, a team's window to win it all is around 2-3 years, after they're drafted QB learns the ropes and before his $35,000,000 a year contract hits. After that, it's time to poach the rest of the NFL's teams' practice squads and sign UDFAs to fill out the roster.

So the Chiefs have this year to win it all again. Then they're done. Mahomes will get his 40/year, and will always keep them close, but their OL and defense will be swiss cheese. The Bills and Ravens have 2 more years.

Bottom line: the way QB salaries have skyrocketed these days PREVENTS any future "dynasties". Unless your GM is a con man like Belichick.

I don't disagree with this. I wonder if Mahomes will be in position to make more money form endorsements and go the Brady route in order to win as many rings as he can.

It's the Aaron Rodgers conundrum. He'll probably only end up with one ring through his whole career because the team around him wasn't good enough. And he has no one to blame but himself. 

Edited by Motorin'

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im just skeptical they can keep it in tact personally.  And I think Jerry Jones is not a good GM overall and won't manage this team well.  And I do agree McCarthy is better than Garrett who should have been fired a while ago.  

The same things youre saying about the Cowboys were said about the Rams a few years ago...and now Rams are already seeing a down turn without winning anything as a result.  

Jerry Jones loves shiney objects and I do not think he will manage a thin cap well at all.  Again, talent is there on this roster, so not saying they cant be really good near term...conversation is about sustained dominance in terms of a dynasty.  And I just don't trust Jones to pull another dynasty off.  

You have your Dallas hate blinders on. Their team is almost entirely homegrown when it comes to key players and stars. They have their QB, #1, #2 and #3 WR, franchise LT and pass rusher. Combined with a couple other good OL players and two good LBers. Except for Cooper, almost of them were drafted by them. Dallas has done about as well as possible team building. Maybe they have a couple bad drafts and it falls apart but I really liked their 2020 draft and they have probably been one of the best teams in terms of drafting in the last 5 years.

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Jones has taken his hands largely off the drafting. And so they will keep restocking with good young talent even if Jerry screws up the cap. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

You have your Dallas hate blinders on. Their team is almost entirely homegrown when it comes to key players and stars. They have their QB, #1, #2 and #3 WR, franchise LT and pass rusher. Combined with a couple other good OL players and two good LBers. Except for Cooper, almost of them were drafted by them. Dallas has done about as well as possible team building. Maybe they have a couple bad drafts and it falls apart but I really liked their 2020 draft and they have probably been one of the best teams in terms of drafting in the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Jones has taken his hands largely off the drafting. And so they will keep restocking with good young talent even if Jerry screws up the cap. 

Yet they have been a constant underachieving team and total disappointment.  I will believe it when I see it on the field for a sustained period of time.  Already acknowledged they SHOULD be good in the short term.  I dont see it long term and they have yet to even be good let alone a dynasty with a loaded roster.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet they have been a constant underachieving team and total disappointment.  I will believe it when I see it on the field for a sustained period of time.  Already acknowledged they SHOULD be good in the short term.  I dont see it long term and they have yet to even be good let alone a dynasty with a loaded roster.  

So are you arguing that they haven’t drafted well in the last 5 years? Because that was your initial point, you didn’t think they will draft well to sustain success. 

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They have underachieved. Particularly last season. But they have also won 3 division titles in the last 6 seasons, won a couple of playoff games and have been under .500 once in ten years. They have already been a consistently good team without being great. I am actually the exact opposite of you on Dallas. I think they will be good long term. While Will McClay is drafting they are going to be fine. Agree that climbing the mountain to being a great team even once is unproven. As it is for anyone on this list except KC and arguably San Fran. 

6 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

"The Patriot Way" probably goes something like this: "If you want to win a Super Bowl, come sign with us. But you'll have to take less salary to make it work. Here we focus on the team over the individual." THAT'S the secret to the NE dynasty. Tom Brady's average cap hit over his 20 years in NE was just under $12,000,000. It probably would've been twice that anywhere else. And he's just the most prominent example. Almost every quality Patriot over the past 20 years was underpaid. And they're roster was solid to dominant every year.

Belichick gets away with it, because he's Belichick: a winning GM/coach, but an ####### with a heart of stone, and everybody knows it. Anybody else, and the players would tell him to go pound sand.

Nowadays, a team's window to win it all is around 2-3 years, after they're drafted QB learns the ropes and before his $35,000,000 a year contract hits. After that, it's time to poach the rest of the NFL's teams' practice squads and sign UDFAs to fill out the roster.

So the Chiefs have this year to win it all again. Then they're done. Mahomes will get his 40/year, and will always keep them close, but their OL and defense will be swiss cheese. The Bills and Ravens have 2 more years.

Bottom line: the way QB salaries have skyrocketed these days PREVENTS any future "dynasties". Unless your GM is a con man like Belichick.

The record setting contract Mahomes signs is going to give the Chiefs a huge advantage over ever other team whose QB is not on a rookie contract. It’s not like he will get $40 million and the next best will get $30 million.  If Buffalo wins back to back AFCE titles, and Josh is a borderline top 10 QB, he’s going to get just as much or more than whatever Pat signs for.

The difference in salary between good QBs and elite QBs is tiny.  As QB salaries continue to skyrocket, teams paying top dollar for non-elite QBs are going to be the ones hurting the most.  Pat is worth $60 million, so he’s going to be a bargain at whatever he winds up getting. I think you’ll see him get around $42 million AAV, and Watson will get around $39 million.  THAT is going to be a franchise crippling contract because Watson is very good, but he isn’t anywhere near Wilson or Mahomes.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They wouldn’t have to invest a bigger cap hold than Dak currently has. With Zeke and Cooper under contract and Lamb on a rookie deal their skill players are here for a while. Maybe the defense pays the price but the key players on this team are under contract for years. If they keep drafting like they did this year they will remain talented.

Who specifically are you concerned about them losing? When I look at Sportrac I see a team in pretty good cap shape still. Maybe I’m wrong but it doesn’t look bad. They will need to sign Vander Esch but that shouldn’t be a problem.

On offense you missed two more years of Gallup too who just had a 1,000 yard season as a 2nd year player as well. Litetally the only contract decision I don't like that the Cowboys have made is paying Cooper before Dak. Sign your QB and tag your receiver if you have to. Other than they have made really smart decisions.

Overall this is correct. It is the Bills fan cap space obsession. Good players > Cap space. The Bills being good is going to require a lot of our fans to let go of the strange comfort blankets they have clung to in the past 20 years. 

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

The record setting contract Mahomes signs is going to give the Chiefs a huge advantage over ever other team whose QB is not on a rookie contract. It’s not like he will get $40 million and the next best will get $30 million.  If Buffalo wins back to back AFCE titles, and Josh is a borderline top 10 QB, he’s going to get just as much or more than whatever Pat signs for.

The difference in salary between good QBs and elite QBs is tiny.  As QB salaries continue to skyrocket, teams paying top dollar for non-elite QBs are going to be the ones hurting the most.  Pat is worth $60 million, so he’s going to be a bargain at whatever he winds up getting. I think you’ll see him get around $42 million AAV, and Watson will get around $39 million.  THAT is going to be a franchise crippling contract because Watson is very good, but he isn’t anywhere near Wilson or Mahomes.

Watson is worth the 3rd or 4th biggest QB contract. Because he is the 3rd or 4th best Quarterback once you discount the old future HoF guys - Brady, Rodgers, Brees. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s hard to imagine another Patriots level dynasty that sustains for 10 years let alone 20. Could I see a team going on a run and winning two Super Bowls in four years or three in five? Sure, but the league just isn’t designed for dynasty’s. 

Think about how much roster turnover there is in the NFL. How many Buffalo Bills players were on the roster three years ago? I can guaranty you that three years from now 3/4ths of the roster will change. That’s how it works in this league.