NFL's next great dynasty? Chiefs, Cowboys, Bills among candidates

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

People just hate the Cowboys but it’s plausible to see how they COULD be great for a while. That doesn’t mean that they will be but if you objectively look at that roster it is great. McCarthy isn’t elite IMO but is a big step up from Garrett. They have that scrub division too. This exercise isn’t declaring someone the next dynasty. It is just showing teams that have a case and why. Dallas has a case.

I would be shocked if they don't win their division but I don't see them representing the NFC in the SB either.

Just now, Greg S said:

I would be shocked if they don't win their division but I don't see them representing the NFC in the SB either.

I don’t necessarily either but in the spirit of the exercise they can. They should host a playoff game (at least 1). They have a ton of young(ish) talent.

The NFC is pretty wide open IMO. The Saints and 49ers appear to be the best teams on paper. The Packers (who I think are overrated), the Seahawks, Eagles and Cowboys are the next tier. All of those teams are trending down, long-term, except the Cowboys and 49ers (maybe). The path is there.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the only thing holding the Cowboys back is Dak. I’m hoping that they pay him 150 mil over 5 years and totally kill that roster. If the Cowboys were to somehow trade for Rodgers I could see them becoming a dynasty again.

KC is probably going to be the next dynasty. It looks like the way to the SB will be through KC the next 5 years.

We still have a little roster tweaking to do but if Allen and the O-Line can improve we are very close. If Allen is getting pressured this year and is forced to win games with his legs and not his arm I don’t see us making it deep into the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t necessarily either but in the spirit of the exercise they can. They should host a playoff game (at least 1). They have a ton of young(ish) talent.

The NFC is pretty wide open IMO. The Saints and 49ers appear to be the best teams on paper. The Packers (who I think are overrated), the Seahawks, Eagles and Cowboys are the next tier. All of those teams are trending down, long-term, except the Cowboys and 49ers (maybe). The path is there.

Do you think Brady can get TB in the mix as a "wildcard" team to represent the NFC? I think it will be one of two teams you mentioned as the NFC's best. If I had to pick right now I would go with NO to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Also if the Bills don't make it then I hope NO wins. I would like to see Brees get another one before he retires.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree with all that too. I'd maybe still have Minnesota in that next tier but they are a "trending down, window shutting" team too. 

• Like (+1) 1

There was an interesting thing on Cowherd yesterday where he was talking about teams being affected by virtual OTAs etc but made a point that I think is relevant here. 

On the AFC teams there are three squads who won double digit games and return the same GM, HC, QB, OC and DC - the Chiefs, the Ravens and the Bills - and it is reasonable to say those three are the best set up franchises in the conference as of right now.

On the NFC side there were 4: 49ers, Seahawks, Saints, Packers. I think of those only San Fran strike me as potential dynasty material for the next 5 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Do you think Brady can get TB in the mix as a "wildcard" team to represent the NFC? I think it will be one of two teams you mentioned as the NFC's best. If I had to pick right now I would go with NO to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Also if the Bills don't make it then I hope NO wins. I would like to see Brees get another one before he retires.

I think Tampa can win it even though Brady is declining. I’m not sure that they will be good for long though. They have a run or 2 in them.

The Saints just can’t seem to get it done in the playoffs at this point. Obviously they’ve been unlucky over the last 3 years but their window is closing. This is their last chance IMO. Their roster is loaded and they improved in a few places (specifically pass catchers). If they stay healthy they will have a chance but they better have home field to do that.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with all that too. I'd maybe still have Minnesota in that next tier but they are a "trending down, window shutting" team too. 

Agree, knew that I was forgetting someone. 

Arizona is the team on the rise.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

11 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think the only thing holding the Cowboys back is Dak. I’m hoping that they pay him 150 mil over 5 years and totally kill that roster. If the Cowboys were to somehow trade for Rodgers I could see them becoming a dynasty again.

KC is probably going to be the next dynasty. It looks like the way to the SB will be through KC the next 5 years.

We still have a little roster tweaking to do but if Allen and the O-Line can improve we are very close. If Allen is getting pressured this year and is forced to win games with his legs and not his arm I don’t see us making it deep into the playoffs. 

KC and Baltimore are in their rightful place on that list. Each have the idyllic combination of youth and experience in addition to recent MVP’s at the games most important position. The game changer is Mahomes. I doubt that I am alone in believing that he could supplant each of Montana and Brady in the GOAT conversation. He’s more than spectacular. As you said, it’s all about KC for the foreseeable future.

Buffalo has one of the best rosters in football, and it’s been built in a ay that looks to be sustainable.  There aren’t one or two stars who could break the bank but would ruin the team if they walked.  It really comes down to QB.  If Josh is elite, the Bills, Ravens, and Chiefs are going to battle it out for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Well, they did have an amazing draft. Like it or not, that team is loaded and if they aren't good it’s on the coaches...

I think Dallas has one issue- QB- when Dak signs he will be very overpaid and it will handcuff the team in the future since he is a top 20 QB but not top 8. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

"The Patriot Way" probably goes something like this: "If you want to win a Super Bowl, come sign with us. But you'll have to take less salary to make it work. Here we focus on the team over the individual." THAT'S the secret to the NE dynasty. Tom Brady's average cap hit over his 20 years in NE was just under $12,000,000. It probably would've been twice that anywhere else. And he's just the most prominent example. Almost every quality Patriot over the past 20 years was underpaid. And they're roster was solid to dominant every year.

Belichick gets away with it, because he's Belichick: a winning GM/coach, but an ####### with a heart of stone, and everybody knows it. Anybody else, and the players would tell him to go pound sand.

Nowadays, a team's window to win it all is around 2-3 years, after they're drafted QB learns the ropes and before his $35,000,000 a year contract hits. After that, it's time to poach the rest of the NFL's teams' practice squads and sign UDFAs to fill out the roster.

So the Chiefs have this year to win it all again. Then they're done. Mahomes will get his 40/year, and will always keep them close, but their OL and defense will be swiss cheese. The Bills and Ravens have 2 more years.

Bottom line: the way QB salaries have skyrocketed these days PREVENTS any future "dynasties". Unless your GM is a con man like Belichick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McCarthy isn’t elite IMO but is a big step up from Garrett.

Eh, are we sure? He had one of the greatest QBs of all time for a decade and only made it to one Super Bowl. That's bad coaching IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

People just hate the Cowboys but it’s plausible to see how they COULD be great for a while. That doesn’t mean that they will be but if you objectively look at that roster it is great. McCarthy isn’t elite IMO but is a big step up from Garrett. They have that scrub division too. This exercise isn’t declaring someone the next dynasty. It is just showing teams that have a case and why. Dallas has a case.

Prescott and Elliot are entering their 5th year.  This team has had top 10 Offenses and top 10 D's a couple of times these past 4 seasons (had both last year).  Zero playoff wins.  They've won the Div 2 times.  What's McCarthy got for that?  

Dynasty of Duds, maybe.  They would have to be great once before they can become a "great dynasty".

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Eh, are we sure? He had one of the greatest QBs of all time for a decade and only made it to one Super Bowl. That's bad coaching IMO.

Sure that he’s better than Garrett? Yes

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Prescott and Elliot are entering their 5th year.  This team has had top 10 Offenses and top 10 D's a couple of times these past 4 seasons (had both last year).  Zero playoff wins.  They've won the Div 2 times.  What's McCarthy got for that?  

Dynasty of Duds, maybe.  They would have to be great once before they can become a "great dynasty".

Again, they play in a trash division, improved coaching, in a conference where the top teams are at the end and had a great draft. I’m not saying that I expect them to become a dynasty (at all). Im saying that the reason they are as high is they are makes sense. Why isn’t anyone taking issue with the Eagles being only one spot lower? They have holes and questions everywhere. Dallas has a lot less questions than Philly.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sure that he’s better than Garrett? Yes

Again, they play in a trash division, improved coaching, in a conference where the top teams are at the end and had a great draft. I’m not saying that I expect them to become a dynasty (at all). Im saying that the reason they are as high is they are makes sense. Why isn’t anyone taking issue with the Eagles being only one spot lower? They have holes and questions everywhere. Dallas has a lot less questions than Philly.

An dynasty limited to NFCE perhaps then?  I guess.  

I think this list confuses potential great teams next year vs sustained dominance which is what a Dynasty is.  This list should be WAY shorter.  

Only teams on this list should be:  

Chiefs - No brainer, nothing to say here.  Best QB in the NFL, only 24, loaded with weapons and will be a perennial SB threat for the foreseeable future.  Everyone is chasing the Chiefs right now until proven otherwise.

Ravens - Very talented roster (even though I remain skeptical their offensive system is sustainable), reigning MVP at QB and a great coaching staff.  The team is young at all the key spots too, something critical to that "dynasty" talk.  

Buffalo - Not a biased pick, our roster is loaded and is one of the best rosters in the NFL, and its a young roster.  One wild card is the improvement of Allen, but given his track record there is every reason to believe that he will again take a big step, especially with the new weapons here and upgraded OL.  And if he takes that big step, we are a serious SB threat this year and for years to come.

With a 2 team darkhorse list that should include:

Browns - On paper, this team is scary talented.  It all comes down to what the new staff can do with Baker.  Who is the real Baker...rookie Baker that was impressive...or Sophomore Baker who didn't take the step expected?  Browns had inept coaching last year, and I think that Baker is better than what he showed last year.  So, with all that talent around him, I think this team is in position to be dangerous if the new staff can elevate Baker.  And like the 3 teams above, the key ingredient of youth on this deep roster is key to a potential dynasty.

49ers - Another QB issue team...very talented roster, and young at a lot of key positions.  But some of that talent still needs to take another step, and Jimmy G has to show he isnt the most over paid game manager in history.  Right now, Jimmy G is a poor mans Alex Smith.  That isnt going to deliver you a dynasty.  But they added more weapons last year and this year, so jury is still out on him.  I don't think they have really tried to open it up with Jimmy G, which is why its not easy to see what his ceiling is.  With more weapons I think they they will at least try and if he is up for the challenge, this team is built to win.  

Teams I have taken off the list:

Cowboys - Yes I get they are set up to potentially be a contender this year.  But with so much money wrapped up into Cooper and Zeke, once they pay Dak they are going to have a hard time keeping this roster together and strong at other positions.  This is not a team I see set up for a "Dynasty" which is only earned after multiple championships over a sector of time.  Could they win this year, sure...its the offseason, and on paper, they have a legit case to be dangerous.  But I also think McCarthy is over rated and did not have enough success with one of the GOATS in Aaron Rodgers.  Achilles heal of McCarthy teams in GB all these years has been the defense too...which is they very side of the ball thats gonna struggle with cap issues after paying Zeke, Cooper, and soon Dak.  

Titans - Anyone who puts "Titans" on a list of potential dynasties needs their head examined.  Tannehill is NOT going to lead any team to a "Dynasty".  Can the be a tough team, a good team, a team that contends...sure.  But no way in hell is a Tannehill team going to win multiple championships in the next 5 years.  

Eagles - Geezus...how did they make the list.  They have a QB made of glass and the roster is not in great shape.  Yes, they can be a good team, but sorry...dynasty...not seeing it with this roster and a QB who cant stay healthy.  Carson is talented, although a bit over rated based on one stretch of like 10 games 3 years ago.  He has the potential still to recapture that level of play he had when he was in the MVP convo 2/3rds through the season.  But he hasn't yet...and any team that has a QB that needs to recapture his form from 3 years ago and also struggles to stay healthy doesn't make any "dynasty" list in my book.   Not to mention, they have the worst roster of everyone on this 9 team list right now.

Chargers - LMAO...come one, they dont have a QB.  Yes they drafted one, but it is going to take a couple years to see if he is the real deal or not, and he may not even play at all this year.  And even if Hebert works out, what will the roster still look like once Hebert comes into his own is another question.  This is just a foolish team to put on a potential "dynasty" list right now.  They were not a very good team with a sure fire HOF QB last year.  And yes Rivers has slipped, but it may take Hebert 3 years to get to the level of play Rivers had last year, if he even gets to be that good.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1