Nursing Homes

I wonder how many lives we would have saved had we encouraged families to pull their relatives from

nursing homes. PA/NJ/NY mandated nursing homes to accept Covid patients which was incredibly dumb

Did anyone really think having the sick and elderly living amongst each other in a communal environment during a pandemic was a good idea? 

Edited by JetsFan20
  • Like (+1) 1

Pull their relatives? Many people are in nursing homes because no one can take care of them, their house was no longer a safe environment (falling, ada accessibility, etc), or they needed more help than a home health care provider could legally give.

The nursing home is their home. When I asked where people expected the COVID-19 nursing home residents to go, no one had an answer.

When Cuomo finally said the hospitals cannot release these patients until they are clear, it was a solution. Long term hospital stays are not ideal either.

New York State nursing homes have been shut down to visitors for nine weeks. That did not mean COVID-19 was not brought into nursing homes as staff brought it in (this happened several times in my father’s nursing home). Meanwhile, these poor people have had little contact with family or friends (not everyone is a candidate for Skype, FaceTime, or even a telephone call),  and that leads to a different set of problems.

China ***** sucks. I hope they pay a steep price for unleashing this virus on an unsuspecting world.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Pull their relatives? Many people are in nursing homes because no one can take care of them, their house was no longer a safe environment (falling, ada accessibility, etc), or they needed more help than a home health care provider could legally give.

The nursing home is their home. When I asked where people expected the COVID-19 nursing home residents to go, no one had an answer.

When Cuomo finally said the hospitals cannot release these patients until they are clear, it was a solution. Long term hospital stays are not ideal either.

New York State nursing homes have been shut down to visitors for nine weeks. That did not mean COVID-19 was not brought into nursing homes as staff brought it in (this happened several times in my father’s nursing home). Meanwhile, these poor people have had little contact with family or friends (not everyone is a candidate for Skype, FaceTime, or even a telephone call),  and that leads to a different set of problems.

China ***** sucks. I hope they pay a steep price for unleashing this virus on an unsuspecting world.

My 94 year old mom is still living at home. The home she grew up in as a matter of fact. I am so glad she’s not in a nursing home. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Chef Jim said:

My 94 year old mom is still at home. The home she grew up in as a matter of fact. I am so glad she’s not in a nursing home. 

It is not something I would wish on anyone. My grandfather did great in his own home until he passed away at 95, my MIL was able to stay at home with round-the-clock aides until she passed away at 88. The solution is based on the person’s needs.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

We listened to Dr.Trump when he said USA was low risk and then said under control and then said 15 cases would be down to zero soon. The stock market was looking good to him. 

The adults are talking about nursing homes. Take your incessant Orangemanbad to the kids table. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is not something I would wish on anyone. My grandfather did great in his own home until he passed away at 95, my MIL was able to stay at home with round-the-clock aides until she passed away at 88. The solution is based on the person’s needs.

My dad passed away at home a month before his 90th.  He had a heart attack. I assume he was pissed because he was not likely going to be able to ski that winter. Dude was an amazing skier. 

3 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Thanks dad! ?

Classy. ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

My dad passed away at home a month before his 90th.  He had a heart attack. I assume he was pissed because he was not likely going to be able to ski that winter. Dude was an amazing skier. 

Classy. ?

Thanks again! ?

The best thing about the hardcore lefties on this board is that they are a constant reminder of who will be ruining your life if we don't vote for Trump. Paradoxical intent seems lost on these people, which is a great thing in the grand scheme of things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As I have mentioned on this board before, both of my in-laws are in a nursing home in the Philly 'burbs. There is no way we could take care of them with their increased medical needs, so pulling them was not an option.

Current numbers:

124 residents (was 172, so some were pulled, others passed away)

69 are positive for COVID-19

55 are negative

21 are pending retests

28 deaths

5 staff tested positive

They have separated the positive patients from the negative ones. 

• Sad 1

Not sure what this debate is about. Nobody is arguing against the need for acute care facilities for vulnerable elderly people. But...inserting people (patients and workers) infected with a contagious disease into those environments is beyond stupid! Those facilities should have been tightly controlled and non infected seniors should have been moved out to safer, quarantined environments. It would have cost WAY LESS than $3,000,000,000,000.00

• Like (+1) 1

My  93 year -old mom  is with me. I also get help from my broiher and sister and my brother's friend comes over every day  to clean and dress her,  In fact she is here right now.  We found a visiting doctor service (actually its PAs) instead of the extensive undertaking of getting her to the Dr's office. They came for the  first time yesterday. Glad my mom only needs checkups. My B-I-L on the other hand, has his mother and brother in nursing homes and had to sell off her house because she didn't  put it in trust years ago.

I am doing everything possible to make sure she does mynot get the COV-19. Will probably be wearing a mask through the summer.

Last Christmas (2018) I got a bad bug and gave it to her The 29yh we had to put her in the hospital. She had caught pneumonia, Was there 3 days and the in a nursing home for 3 weeks. We thought that was the end. She pulled through. That nursing home   now has has 42 COVID cases and a dozen deaths.

Edited by Wacka

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not sure what this debate is about. Nobody is arguing against the need for acute care facilities for vulnerable elderly people. But...inserting people (patients and workers) infected with a contagious disease into those environments is beyond stupid! Those facilities should have been tightly controlled and non infected seniors should have been moved out to safer, quarantined environments. It would have cost WAY LESS than $3,000,000,000,000.00

Seems simple - don't put sick people into an environment that is full of people who are vulnerable. What other outcome could occur?