Are there publicly traded companies that will do well if the Bills have a great season in 2020?

I'm wondering if anyone has done the research to see if there are any publicly traded stocks that will go up if the Bills make a Superbowl run. I think the Bills could pull it off this year, and it has to be good for some sort of price spike somewhere we might be able to capture. Thanks in advance.

15 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

I'm wondering if anyone has done the research to see if there are any publicly traded stocks that will go up if the Bills make a Superbowl run. I think the Bills could pull it off this year, and it has to be good for some sort of price spike somewhere we might be able to capture. Thanks in advance.

Inbev, SABMiller, Newell Brands (maker of Rubbermaid folding tables), all big Pharma that make heart and blood pressure medications.

• Haha (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I dunno... we are thinking fans drink more when they’re good than when they suck? 

also time to short that Ej Manuel stock, if you haven’t already 

It might just be worth buying either way before the season and selling afterwards.

Do you actually believe that someone who has done research on the topic (and presuming they actually found something) would turn around and tell the world, thereby diluting any gains they might make? 

4 minutes ago, notwoz said:

Do you actually believe that someone who has done research on the topic (and presuming they actually found something) would turn around and tell the world, thereby diluting any gains they might make? 

If they're regularly posting on this board,...yes.

• Haha (+1) 1

I guess I was just looking for some generic advice about publicly traded companies that might have Buffalo tie-ins. In stead everyone just trying to outdo the next person with something funny, just like most posts I guess. I'll keep hunting. Thanks for a few laughs at least!

Go Bills!

18 minutes ago, notwoz said:

Why not?  Beane gabbed about his "comp pick hack"...

10 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

I guess I was just looking for some generic advice about publicly traded companies that might have Buffalo tie-ins. In stead everyone just trying to outdo the next person with something funny, just like most posts I guess. I'll keep hunting. Thanks for a few laughs at least!

Go Bills!

I assumed that's what you were doing but I don't think a publicly traded company with be impacted by who wins the Super Bowl.  Publicly traded companies are impacted by sales and revenue not whether or not their employees are happy so unless you think the Bills winning a Super Bowl will cause people to buy more Fords or GMs or bank harder with local banks I don't think it will make much difference.  Publicly traded things are also big enough that the impact is spread out over more of the country so if the Bills win sure there will be some people who are excited there will be another fan base in a city with some level of diaspora who are sad.  Something like BWW could benefit from the diaspora of Bills fans going to their restaurants for the playoffs but even that would only be or 2 or 3 total days and they already sell an absolute crap load of wings during the NFL playoffs so improving year over year sales is hard to do.  

If one were really of a mind to do something like this one way could be in getting blocks of hotel rooms downtown for the week after the game in anticipation of a parade and the selling those rooms to out of towners who will flock back for said parade.  I don't know that the hotel will be keen on this and it's a massive gamble on your part (not so much of an investment) but there's a way I see to make some scratch.

FWIW add sofa manufacturers to the list because I think quite a few will go up in flames that night.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I assumed that's what you were doing but I don't think a publicly traded company with be impacted by who wins the Super Bowl.  Publicly traded companies are impacted by sales and revenue not whether or not their employees are happy so unless you think the Bills winning a Super Bowl will cause people to buy more Fords or GMs or bank harder with local banks I don't think it will make much difference.  Publicly traded things are also big enough that the impact is spread out over more of the country so if the Bills win sure there will be some people who are excited there will be another fan base in a city with some level of diaspora who are sad.  Something like BWW could benefit from the diaspora of Bills fans going to their restaurants for the playoffs but even that would only be or 2 or 3 total days and they already sell an absolute crap load of wings during the NFL playoffs so improving year over year sales is hard to do.  

If one were really of a mind to do something like this one way could be in getting blocks of hotel rooms downtown for the week after the game in anticipation of a parade and the selling those rooms to out of towners who will flock back for said parade.  I don't know that the hotel will be keen on this and it's a massive gamble on your part (not so much of an investment) but there's a way I see to make some scratch.

FWIW add sofa manufacturers to the list because I think quite a few will go up in flames that night.

How do you sell a hotel reservation?