The Athletic: Vic's Over/Under (Bills over 8.5)

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No one is going to admit that here.  If it was Allen, it is the receiver’s fault.  If it’s Jackson or another qb, it’s their fault.  

it’s fine.  We’re a Bills board but it’s far from objective.  

Dude’s throwing to Justice Hill, Hayden Hurst, Willie Sneed, Miles Boykin, Seth Roberts, and Hollywood Brown.  That’s about the biggest bunch of bums this side of Zay Jones, Charles Clay, and Kelvin Benjamin.  Lamar was playing 1 on 11 and still put up over 500 yards of offense.  I don’t know what QB could have done better.  It’s either Mahomes or nobody.

23 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The throw was too high for a 6 foot 5 target. I’m not sure why you need to defend Jackson, but by no objective standard was he good In that playoff game.

It wasn’t too high for him.  He got both hands squarely on the ball.  It’s not like he leapt up in the air and barely tipped it.  That was a very catchable ball.

54 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The throw was too high for a 6 foot 5 target. I’m not sure why you need to defend Jackson, but by no objective standard was he good In that playoff game.

The guy you're quoting was saying Allen was 'terrible' vs Ravens and Jackson was 'good' vs Titans when they both played about average-below average...wouldn't waste your time 

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No one is going to admit that here.  If it was Allen, it is the receiver’s fault.  If it’s Jackson or another qb, it’s their fault.  

it’s fine.  We’re a Bills board but it’s far from objective.  

LOL no, that's a drop. That's always the receiver's fault

• Thank you (+1) 1

8.5 Seems low but there are some factors to consider. One is injuries, injuries can derail any season. Two is a harder schedule and one or two key injuries can take an 11 win season and lower it to 8 wins. I would personally take the over on 8.5 and I probably would have set the over under at 9.5.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

The pick on the first drive went right through the receiver’s hands.  3:25 of the video below.  The throw was slightly high, but that’s a ball that should be caught.  Slow motion replay is at 3:45.

https://gamepass.nfl.com/game/titans-at-ravens-on-01112020?condensed=true

The coaches film gives a good view of the play.

Looked more than slightly high. The guy couldn't get two hands on it. Finger tips was all.

Edited by Ecmic82

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Dude’s throwing to Justice Hill, Hayden Hurst, Willie Sneed, Miles Boykin, Seth Roberts, and Hollywood Brown.  That’s about the biggest bunch of bums this side of Zay Jones, Charles Clay, and Kelvin Benjamin.  Lamar was playing 1 on 11 and still put up over 500 yards of offense.  I don’t know what QB could have done better.  It’s either Mahomes or nobody.

It wasn’t too high for him.  He got both hands squarely on the ball.  It’s not like he leapt up in the air and barely tipped it.  That was a very catchable ball.

Okay. Moving past that throw, Jackson got exposed in the playoff game. Instead of MVP he was LVP. The team has no balance unless he’s doing everything and when he can’t they don’t win. Again, not saying he’s terrible or that they will be, but 12 wins is a big ask even if everyone stays perfectly healthy. 

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Okay. Moving past that throw, Jackson got exposed in the playoff game. Instead of MVP he was LVP. The team has no balance unless he’s doing everything and when he can’t they don’t win. Again, not saying he’s terrible or that they will be, but 12 wins is a big ask even if everyone stays perfectly healthy. 

Jackson also has two top TEs that he somehow failed to mention

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The team is better balanced this year cos you can't run them to death like Tennessee did.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The team is better balanced this year cos you can't run them to death like Tennessee did.

No doubt. But their whole division got better and everyone is always out to get the king. I would be surprised to see them win 12 games. 

35 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

No doubt. But their whole division got better and everyone is always out to get the king. I would be surprised to see them win 12 games. 

I wouldn't. I'd be shocked if they win fewer than 11. Top to bottom the best roster in the NFL. 

Edited by GunnerBill

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

But this gets in the way of the narrative here that Lamar Jackson is not going to continue to do what he did last year...

So I think it is reasonable to expect some sort of step back from Lamar. I still think he will play well but maybe not match last season's high. 

My point is he really doesn't need to.

Just now, whatdrought said:

The Saints beg to differ. 

Ravens roster > Saints roster.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why?  I assume you think Allen can improve?  Why can’t Jackson?  

I didn't say anything about 'improving', or Allen for that matter. I said Jackson will not be able to CONTINUE to do what he did last year because it's so statistically unlikely. 

He threw a TD almost 1 out of every 10 throws. For a QB who started 15 games w/a middling YPA and 66%comp that's just totally ridiculous. It's WAY more likely he improves as a passer and his statistics go down a bit than it is he continues to put up the same astronomical stats. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I didn't say anything about 'improving', or Allen for that matter. I said Jackson will not be able to CONTINUE to do what he did last year because it's so statistically unlikely. 

He threw a TD almost 1 out of every 10 throws. For a QB who started 15 games w/a middling YPA and 66%comp that's just totally ridiculous. It's WAY more likely he improves as a passer and his statistics go down a bit than it is he continues to put up the same astronomical stats. 

Ok, that’s fair. Jackson was essentially top 10 in ypa.

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’ll win 3 games in the division (at minimum), 5 games vs. the NFC East and AFC South (minimum), and sweep the Jets and Raiders. That’s 10. Their schedule is like ours last year. They are just going to play a lot of teams that they are better than.

Barring the unforeseen, like an injury to Mayfield, this seems legit to me. 10 or 11 wins.

15 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Seriously.  If we were defending Josh Allen for a similar throw we'd be laughed off the board.

That said, the Ravens, Chiefs, and Bills are going to be battling for AFC supremacy for the foreseeable future.  Some other teams will pop up here and there but these are going to be the most consistent three of the 2020s.

Edited by eball

I, for one, would avoid any bet that counts on a slender, running QB for wins over the course of a season.  I’m not saying that Jackson will or won’t get injured this year, I’m just saying that I wouldn’t want my money riding on the necessity that he won’t.  Even a ding that limits his mobility would dramatically change the dynamics of that offense.

Edited by BarleyNY