Notre Dame opening campus 2 weeks early

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Trying to get ahead of an anticipated “2nd wave”

Keeping in mind ND is private so doesn’t need to abide by state government and health officials. But many Midwest campuses are opening in addition to the south 

My daughters school is thinking the same thing. Remember in the Schedule thread, i was saying the NFL should do this exact same thing...

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 7:25 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Trying to get ahead of an anticipated “2nd wave”

Keeping in mind ND is private so doesn’t need to abide by state government and health officials. But many Midwest campuses are opening in addition to the south 

Well that didn't work. Not being snarky here ... I wanted it to work. I have a neighbor who just sent his kid off to ND. ND had as well thought-out a plan as I've seen from any school/college/university, and on August 18 -- 8 days after opening! -- they've got a 19% positive test rate in their most recent batch of cases. All online for at least 2 weeks, and that's the good scenario; send 'em home (to seed COVID-19 all over the country) is the bad one. At this point I just say shut down all formal education for 2020-21. Put resources into small day care/learning "pods" for the little ones and freeze everyone's high school/college status. The health care experts are reasonably confident that a vaccine or vaccines may put the worst of this far behind us by next summer. We can pick up where we left off then. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well that didn't work. Not being snarky here ... I wanted it to work. I have a neighbor who just sent his kid off to ND. ND had as well thought-out a plan as I've seen from any school/college/university, and on August 18 -- 8 days after opening! -- they've got a 19% positive test rate in their most recent batch of cases. All online for at least 2 weeks, and that's the good scenario; send 'em home (to seed COVID-19 all over the country) is the bad one. At this point I just say shut down all formal education for 2020-21. Put resources into small day care/learning "pods" for the little ones and freeze everyone's high school/college status. The health care experts are reasonably confident that a vaccine or vaccines may put the worst of this far behind us by next summer. We can pick up where we left off then. 

The best thing I can say is that this is off the beaten path because otherwise every TBD "expert" will be coming for ya. Good Luck my friend

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

The best thing I can say is that this is off the beaten path because otherwise every TBD "expert" will be coming for ya. Good Luck my friend

Thanks, I know they'll be gunnin' for me. But I just don't get it -- to get political for a moment here: the Trump Administration has done one very smart thing in response to COVID-19, Operation Warp Speed. Many promising vaccines are in development, and the USA is fronting the cost for producing several vaccines even before we know whether they'll be approved as safe and effective. This is a strong and creative policy response. And any normal administration would be touting that, not fringe-y treatments and preposterously optimistic "it'll go away on it's own" scenarios. The message should be: hunker down. Don't take risks. Wait it out. The vaccine is coming. You'll be able to do all those discretionary activities soon enough.

But that would be a different administration, wouldn't it.

Moving classes online isn’t going to curb the cases here. In one scenario, the students are still living on campus and going to parties, which was the instigator for the spike. Not in person classes. In another scenario, students go home, which for A large percentage of ND students, is not south bend or even the state of Indiana. And then Return in 2 weeks? Even worse. 

#NotreDame reports five players have tested positive for COVID-19 in latest round. Team wanted to receive this set of tests before resuming practice, given the campus outbreak. Irish will not practice for the second straight day before another round of testing.

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

#NotreDame reports five players have tested positive for COVID-19 in latest round. Team wanted to receive this set of tests before resuming practice, given the campus outbreak. Irish will not practice for the second straight day before another round of testing.

I really hope there is college football this fall. Even though my team is “postponed” :cry:

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.