Fitzmagic on Eric Wood

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What Fitz says there about QBs protecting their stats even when they are losing..... that ladies and gentleman is one Ryan Tannehill and that is why I cannot stand that guy. 

Tryrod Taylor also.... never could figure out why people defended that crap when the complete lack of give a care to protect stats was obvious.

5 hours ago, TPS said:

Basically called him a pu$$y...

Btw,  link to it on Youtube here: 

Thank you. That was great. Much funnier than I would have expected.

One complaint: Turn the damn phone! Why do idiots record things like this in portrait mode?  We could have seen Fred, and the other roasters with just one simply adjustment.

But other than that, nice job.

• Like (+1) 1

For such a brilliant guy he sure throws 10x his share of dumb ass passes. You'd think he would know better. 

Love me some Fitzy though. Also one of my favorite players ever. 

55 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Tryrod Taylor also.... never could figure out why people defended that crap when the complete lack of give a care to protect stats was obvious.

Don't see how you can possibly say that. He always played the exact same way. So he was trying to protect his stats when he was winning or losing, early or late, against good defenses and bad all sixty minutes? That's just the way he played, a conservative guy who never wanted to throw interceptions. He was risk adverse unless he had guys he thought would get open. When he had Sammy and Harvin and Goodwin he would throw deep because he had confidence in those guys. When they were gone he didn't. I don't think it had anything to do with stats. 

I still bang with Fitz... man if he had a little more talent... would probably have been better then Brady! His love & passion for the game is up there with the greats! His talent just always limit his ability 

Good guy... I wish he was on another team...cause I hate the Dolphins ?

Edited by Scorp83
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

Eric Wood on bourbon

Wood did a nice job. He's fairly knowledgeable for a non-bourbon professional. Always seems like a great, regular guy. He also has high-end bourbon taste and the money to pay for it. I'd love to share a bourbon with him sometime.

I like Minnick just fine, too (the ever present mascot just kills me). But typically I avoid his celebrity interviews, as I have about zero interest in what any celebrity thinks. I prefer industry/distiller interviews. IMO Chuck Cowdery is the top of the bourbon writers.

Given the contract Tony Romo just got, I'd think Fitz should really consider that for his next gig.  I think he'd kill that role just like he did the FJ roast.  Given the cities he's played in, the players and coaches he's gotten to know, the nice rapport he has had with the press and fans and his overall good will reputation throughout the league, he'd maybe be even better at it than Romo.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What Fitz says there about QBs protecting their stats even when they are losing..... that ladies and gentleman is one Ryan Tannehill and that is why I cannot stand that guy. 

No Tyrod Taylor can write a book on that.

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah ... would've definitely wanted him to be a better player, but in fairness, he's a career backup for a reason.  The Bills (and other teams) were stupid to think otherwise/pay him -- but GOOD FOR HIM, I say!!!

I agree with your love for Fitz Gungy, but disagree with the career backup label. (And by all means I don't mean this to sound like I'm going off on you...this is just a discussion that I used to have with some posters back at the end of Fitz's time in Buffalo, when some of them would say that he's not a starter, or even a backup, but third-string level.)

Fitz has started 139 of the 156 games he has been dressed for. That equates to almost 9 full 16-game seasons as a starter in the league (probably almost 10 full seasons by the end of this year). Or another way to look at it, across his 15-year career, he has been a starter for 58% of his career (and that includes his slow career start, where he dressed for only 6 of 48 games in his first three years; injury time out; etc.). So, he is starting more often than he is not. And when he has started across his career, he has always been a middle-of-the-pack QB stats-wise (like 16th to 20th), rather than a bottom third quarterback. So, for the majority of his career, he has been one of the, say, 20 best QBs in the league at any given moment/season. Since there are 32 spots, that makes him a starter. Also, he's 39th place in career passing yards all time and 38th in career passing TDs all time. That's a lot of starts in order to get that high on the all-time NFL lists.

So, rather than a career backup, I would say that he is a journeyman starting QB (someone who is going to play a lot---always find a home, often as a bridge player---but who you are always hoping to upgrade from when you have him starting). But he is definitely a starting-caliber QB (one of the 32 best QBs at any given moment over most of his career), he's just not a franchise QB, or a QB you are going to build your team around.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, folz said:

I agree with your love for Fitz Gungy, but disagree with the career backup label. (And by all means I don't mean this to sound like I'm going off on you...this is just a discussion that I used to have with some posters back at the end of Fitz's time in Buffalo, when some of them would say that he's not a starter, or even a backup, but third-string level.)

Fitz has started 139 of the 156 games he has been dressed for. That equates to almost 9 full 16-game seasons as a starter in the league (probably almost 10 full seasons by the end of this year). Or another way to look at it, across his 15-year career, he has been a starter for 58% of his career (and that includes his slow career start, where he dressed for only 6 of 48 games in his first three years; injury time out; etc.). So, he is starting more often than he is not. And when he has started across his career, he has always been a middle-of-the-pack QB stats-wise (like 16th to 20th), rather than a bottom third quarterback. So, for the majority of his career, he has been one of the, say, 20 best QBs in the league at any given moment/season. Since there are 32 spots, that makes him a starter. Also, he's 39th place in career passing yards all time and 38th in career passing TDs all time. That's a lot of starts in order to get that high on the all-time NFL lists.

So, rather than a career backup, I would say that he is a journeyman starting QB (someone who is going to play a lot---always find a home, often as a bridge player---but who you are always hoping to upgrade from when you have him starting). But he is definitely a starting-caliber QB (one of the 32 best QBs at any given moment over most of his career), he's just not a franchise QB, or a QB you are going to build your team around.

Folz, thank you for this.  I love the numbers to state your case and you are absolutely right, my friend.  Everything you said is spot on.  Franchise guy?  No.  Journeyman starter?  Yes.

And what makes him, in my opinion, a step above the rest .... he's always known his place.  He's never caused drama.  He's always been the consummate team player.  He's always taken full advantage of the opportunities he's been given, but he's never gone out of his way to CREATE those opportunities.  

A pure class act.

And to your point ... a legitimate starter throughout his career.

Cheers, brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Offensive linemen carry a ridiculous amount of unhealthy weight. If they’re smart,  they drop it as soon as their playing days are over

Many also have injuries which I know from experience affect you more with more weight.  

Smart players lose weight while they are used to working out cutting down greatly the amount you eat.

When you are on a 5000 calorie diet and you keep the exercise up but cut the calories you can lose a lot of weight.

16 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Funny guy - definitely an old school gun slinger.  

You can see how he exudes leadership - just wish he had a slightly better arm to go with that attitude.

His arm is fine. Dude balls out where ever he goes and its usually to ***** teams with ***** defenses and ***** coaches. 

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not true actually.  In his entire career, he threw only 6 4th Q INTs.  In all games with either a lead or tie with 4 or fewer minutes to go, he threw a total of 2 INTs.  All the rest with under 4 min to go were when trailing.

In 2018, deep into his career, Fitz was #2 in accuracy on deep passes (over 20 yards in the air) behind only Brees.

His career completion % is the same as Kelly's and his INT% is lower.  Kelly was surrounded by top talent.  Fitz has made a career of stepping into teams in times of disaster. 

You're wrong of course.  do your homework.

Yes exactly right!

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Over 30,000 yards says he's not a backup

He's a low-end starter in a QB lacking league

So that makes him like top 32 in the entire world then right?

2 hours ago, folz said:

Fitz could easily win a SB as long as he was on a team where he didnt have to be the reason why.

A team with a good defense that keeps the other tram scoring low. A team with a good offense who doesnt -need- him to do heavy lifting. If he ever landed on a team like that in his career (like eli with the giants), he could easily have been a "winner".

Problem is scrub franchises like that eras bills team, current era miami team tries to throw together terrible teams and blame the QB when the results are Ls.

Fans put a lot into individual players and positions (true of any sport) but the reality is there is a LOT that goes into the making of a championship roster in just about any sport and its always about way more than 1 dude.

Why im excited for this years Bills team! Allen is good, but the TEAM is good, allen wont have to do heavy lifting just play solid ball.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Yes exactly right!

So that makes him like top 32 in the entire world then right?

He may not be top 32 now but he's been a top 32 guy for a good amount of his career

And it's an honor to even be one of the top 64 QBs in the world let alone a starter

He has been on a team as a starter or backup for 156 games. 139 of which are starts and he has over 200 TDs while being a 7th rounder

For him being a top 32 guy for his stretch is impressive and I think Fitz is a good system QB

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Don't see how you can possibly say that. He always played the exact same way. So he was trying to protect his stats when he was winning or losing, early or late, against good defenses and bad all sixty minutes? That's just the way he played, a conservative guy who never wanted to throw interceptions. He was risk adverse unless he had guys he thought would get open. When he had Sammy and Harvin and Goodwin he would throw deep because he had confidence in those guys. When they were gone he didn't. I don't think it had anything to do with stats. 

Yea that is how I see Tyrod. He was just conservative and never threw a guy open in his life. You had to be college open for Tyrod to throw you the ball. I think that is slightly different than what Fitz is talking about although it is equally offensive to my eyes to watch.