R.I.P. Gentle Ben Williams

14 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

The San Diego game with a wounded Fergy,  started the modern disapointment

That was the first game that 10 year old Dorquemada took intense interest in, i still remember Fergy on that wrecked ankle gutting it out.  That dude was tough as nails but even then I was  wincing watching him every time he dropped back. 

Anyway, Rest In Peace Ben Williams.  He was a consummate pro, and by all account a good person too

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

He was better than solid.  He was an excellent player.  A third round pick.  He started just about every game that he dressed for in his 10 year career.

He made a Pro Bowl in 1982.   Was even better in '83 when he had 10 sacks in 14 games. 

To illustrate how messed up things were, he was drafted in 1976 and was the first African American football player at Ole Miss.    

Hard to believe but then again when you have "Johnny Reb" as your mascot somewhat more understandable.

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

RIP Ben. One the great Bills. 

I need some help here, and either my brain is failing me or the internet is, and we all know the internet never fails. 

I remember clear as day, at least I think I do, being at the Jet game in 79 , the Jerry Butler 4 TD game. End of first half , Butler scores on what we commonly call a Hail Mary now.  Fairly certain it was the first year two offensive players could consecutively touch the ball. We were going nuts And doing shots after that play! 

Her’s the rub.... I could swear the Bills called it the Big Ben play , and for some reason it was named after Ben Williams. But I can find zero mention of the play or “ Big Ben” anywhere. 

Any y’all remember this?

If there were a "Big Ben" play I don't believe it stemmed from that Jet game. If you check the box score from that game the defensive stats indicate that there were three interceptions and no fumbles. He had no interceptions but that doesn't mean that he wasn't the player instrumental in forcing a turnover. Ben Williams was a very active lineman so I wouldn't be surprised that he made plays that were described as "big play" that altered the course of a game/s. 

I hope that you don't mind me offering you a kind suggestion to improve your memory: Don't drink so much during the game! It is not surprising that you lose your ability to soberly think and remember. ?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197909230buf.htm

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If there were a "Big Ben" play I don't believe it stemmed from that Jet game. If you check the box score from that game the defensive stats indicate that there were three interceptions and no fumbles. He had no interceptions but that doesn't mean that he wasn't the player instrumental in forcing a turnover. Ben Williams was a very active lineman so I wouldn't be surprised that he made plays that were described as "big play" that altered the course of a game/s. 

I hope that you don't mind me offering you a kind suggestion to improve your memory: Don't drink so much during the game! It is not surprising that you lose your ability to soberly think and remember. ?

Calling the play " the Big Ben PLay" instead of a Hail Mary...not because of anything in that game, but something to do with Ben Williams.

The play I am referring from thjr link above is the Jerry Butler touchdown at the end of the 2nd Qtr...it does not list the time of game there, but I am almostt 100% positive that it was the last play of the first half, it was a "hail Mary" type play...and i think that was first year it was legal..but i may be wrong on that

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

OKay, finally found a reference to the "Big Ben" play. Appears it was not named after Ben Williams, but my brother and I loved Ben Williams and prolly just told ourselves that was why they called it Big Ben!

AND BTW, youngins back then, we did a shot of Southern Comfort after every Bills TD...along with drinking  our 36oz Jumbo beers on a hot September  day...and i still remembered this play..even that it was the last play of the first half!!!!!and almost 41 years later!

Interesting stuff in this excerpt...Butler signed on the cheap cause he figured Ralph would only spend so much, and Cousinou would get the lions share, so ge signed quick at first sign of a decent offer. Man what a different game with no cap, no draft slotting etc.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dq5_vwrBUoEC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=bills+jets+1979+jerry+butler&source=bl&ots=Z05VjXMhnt&sig=ACfU3U3RgzcezywPfS7STfWZ5DrjxzQEuQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjDtuykncDpAhWkl3IEHX2eBD4Q6AEwC3oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=bills jets 1979 jerry butler&f=false

Edited by plenzmd1

My favorite all time Bill.The guy was a terrific d lineman. So underrated. Always put pressure on the QB.Great moves.

I loved those early 80s Chuck Knox teams.Although I lived thru the 60s era I think the  early 80s Bills were the most fun

of the good Bills teams.

13 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Bruce credits Ben Williams for his development at 10:02 in the NFLN 100 greatest special. Doesn’t get much better than the GOAT crediting you.  RIP. 

thx for the link...so true about Ben Williams.